470     0 

Star: Half of GTA foreign-born

Canadian Born or Foreign Born?

• Born in Canada

Votes: 45 67.2%
  • Born outside of Canada

Votes: 22 32.8%

• Total voters
The older folks originally from Italy are passing on. Their offspring are becoming integrated. My parents are in their 70's and would consider themselves Italian Canadians. While I speak Italian I consider myself Canadian with an Italian back ground. I doubt my daughter will consider herself anything but Canadian.

And unlike say, the Poles, there hasn't been much immigration in the last generation to offset the rapid aging of the older immigrant population.

Canadian born (Toronto). My mother's side goes way back, I'm also a registered United Empire Loyalist.

born in yugoslavia,lived in austria but canada has been my home for 25+years.
europe is nice to visit but toronto is #1 for me and seeing the major transformation of this metropolis in my lifetime brings me great joy.the next ten years in this city will be amzing!

Born in Canada, parents were born here.

Dad's parents were first generation Italian. Just like Ed's daughter, I'd consider myself Canadian and not Italian-Canadian.

As for the "Immigrants are too new to care about Toronto" argument, I don't buy it. I find it hard to believe someone would spend so much time and effort to get here, and then not care about the place once they arrive.

Born in Canada, parents were born here.

Dad's parents were first generation Italian. Just like Ed's daughter, I'd consider myself Canadian and not Italian-Canadian.

As for the "Immigrants are too new to care about Toronto" argument, I don't buy it. I find it hard to believe someone would spend so much time and effort to get here, and then not care about the place once they arrive.

some of those immigrant drivers for wheeltrans really pay attention to politics and know the issues, more than people who have lived here all their lives. there's alot of people who were born in this city and don't give a shit about it. they want to move out as soon as possible and if they had anything to do with city planning, this place would look like detroit.

Born and raised in Toronto. My grandfather was a Hungarian Jew who came over in the interwar years.

I consider myself pretty much just Canadian although on the census I don't feel quite "old stock" enough to write "Canadian" as my ancestry on the census. I'm curious if ed's daughter and Canuck would mark themselves as just "Canadian." :)

If you look at US data it appears that it's mainly people of English ancestry who are calling themselves just "American" now - the number saying "English" dropped by half between 1980 (when ancestry was first asked in the US census) and 2000. I guess being of English ancestry is just considered the generic bland response. In contrast Italian Americans have remained more or less the same percentage.

yeah about immigrants not knowing anything about their country...

our family went to Ottawa 3 years ago...

My dad (who came from Northern India in 1981) and I were standing in line to enter the house of Commons. The tour guide to pass the wait, did a fun quiz...

My dad knew every question 100%... to the first PM, to the youngest PM, to how we voting system worked and so on.
The rest who were born and bred Canadians had no clue...

It was a shameful show by the so called real Canadians...

Born in Kingston Ontario, both my parents were born in Montreal, my father's side came from Scotland, some of my mother's side immigrated to Canada as fishermen in NFLD 1500 - 1600 timeframe, some as recently as 100 years ago.

Most people that live in Toronto (Canadian born or not) like Toronto. Back 20 years ago, I would have preferred to move to Montreal since it seemed to be more diverse and interesting, but the immigration to Toronto from around the world has made Toronto a more diverse and interesting place to live. One thing I missed living in a number of US cities was the quality and diversity of the food served in restaurants in Toronto (service though could definitely be improved).

Born and bred in Toronto by Greek immigrants. Funny, this topic came up at a party I attended recently. We did an informal poll of about 25 guests and only 4 (including me) were born in Toronto. I was taken by surprise. No wonder I am a suffering Leafs fan, such a f'king homie. Efcharisto

must have been hard to move to a new place with strange customs. how long did it take before you were able to pick up the local language and fit in with the locals?
Certainly an easy transition back in 1976, but an unilingual white anglo hardly fits in with the locals nor the spoken languages in today's Toronto.

true, this would be the last place to see a English only campaign like in the states...

I hate to rain on the parade but the opening line about how Toronto is THE most diverse city in the world is typical of the parochialism of the Star.

How do you measure diversity? Miami has the highest percentage of foreign born of pretty much anywhere on the planet but it's almost all from a few sources. By that measure Vancouver is more diverse than London.

I think Toronto is among the top 3, but whether it's actually more diverse than New York or London is difficult to judge.

^Hmmm.... I did a search on "most" to find out where you got "THE most diverse" city in the world .... and I guess the search function is malfunctioning :eek: I can find no-where in this thread (including the posted article) that any claim that Toronto is "the most diverse" city.

Having two or three large ethnic groups does not make a city diverse.... the only way I can think would define how diverse a city is -- is through the number of sizeable different communities (from around the world)..... but of course my way of measuring diversity -- is really through the food :rolleyes:

We tend to throw around terms like "best", "the most" which is typically an exaggeration of immense proportions -- there can only be one best, and one most -- and I really don't care if it is "the best" or "the most" -- just that it is diverse enough in my mind.

Back