• Total voters

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

Half of GTA foreign-born

Dec 04, 2007 09:18 AM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA – The Toronto region has experienced substantial growth in its immigrant population over the last five years, according to new census data released Tuesday.

Statistics Canada released information from the 2006 census which gives a snapshot of people who came from other countries to live here. It reveals most people moving to Canada are generally flocking to large urban centres, especially Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Demographic experts have predicted that Canada's population growth will be almost entirely dependent on immigration by 2030 and communities that don't attract new Canadians may see steady declines in population.

A shrinking population can have a host of economic and social consequences, including a fragile local economy starved for workers that, in turn, discourages much-needed investment. Business and school closures can result, and as the declining population ages the delivery of social services such as health care becomes strained.

Some communities find it difficult to attract immigrants because new Canadians tend to choose large cities where their families have already settled and where they can access the services they will need.

The latest census stats show that immigrants make up 45.7 per cent of the Toronto area. Five years earlier, immigrants represented 43.7 per cent of the population. In terms of recent immigration, the number of immigrants who lived in the region increased to 2,320,160 from 2,032,960 between 2001 and 2006.

During the same five-year period since the 2001 census, the overall population of Toronto region increased by 9.2 per cent – compared to a provincial gain of 6.6 per cent and a national growth rate of 5.4 per cent.

The immigration figures shows that about one out of every five Canadians was born in another country. In the Toronto region the ratio is almost one out of every two, while for Ontario, it's more than one out of every four.

The national figures are skewed by the concentration of immigrants in the metropolitan regions of Toronto, Vancouver (39.6 per cent) and Montreal (20.6).

In terms of the country of origin for foreign-born people in the Toronto area, the highest proportion came from India, followed by China and then Italy.

Statistics Canada also released data Tuesday on languages spoken by Canadians, including those born here and those who came from other countries.

English remains the dominant language in Toronto region. It is the mother tongue – the first language learned – by 54.1 per cent of the population. Canada's other official language, French, is the mother tongue of 1.2 per cent of people in the community.

(Census metropolitan areas do not conform to established municipal boundaries. Statistics Canada determines its own geographic definition of a metropolitan area with a population of at least 100,000, but it also includes surrounding urban and rural communities based on analysis of commuting patterns and other factors. Looking at metropolitan areas this way takes in to account the growing impact of suburban areas on Canada's largest cities.)

In terms of what Statistics Canada refers to as "non-official" languages, Chinese (all dialects) was the first language of 8.1 per cent, followed by Italian (3.7) and Panjabi (Punjabi) (2.6).

The census is conducted every five years by Statistics Canada and is based on information filled out by Canadians on May 16, 2006. The data released Tuesday on immigration and language follows information released earlier this year on overall population growth, families, as well as the age and sex breakdowns of the population.

Future census information to be released over the coming months will give demographic breakdowns of a variety of topics, including the aboriginal population, visible minorities, labour force activity and education.

So I wonder: Is one half the UT "population" foreign born? Could be an interesting poll.

I'm 100% Canadian but have trouble identifying with anything "Canadian" or Waspy--even though I grew up in Canada I feel like a British lad mixed with some Texan and some kinda nomadic culture....

How much longer before 90% of Toronto is foreign born? 2030? Gonna be a different city for sure....

The same release of stats today pointed out that the percentage of Toronto CMA residents who immigrated within the past 5 years is decreasing.

does anyone remember that episode of southpark when all the out of towners came and mr hankey got sick? it's almost christmas and i'm a bit concerned. has anyone seen mr hankey this year?

"Half of GTA foreign-born" ... I'm going to be flamed for this but... hence why Torontonians don't care about their city. A general quick questioning of people on the street will yield a not surprising result: Torontonians aren't proud to be Torontonian. Home is somewhere else.

Perhaps that's why we haven't become the great city we can become. Toronto is a place where people live, but they don't call it home. Home is the place where they'll eventually retire to.

I was born here and shipped off to Europe as a teenager when my family retired. I gained a whole new love for this city and when I came back, I wanted to make it a good place to live in forever, a place that's going to be my home for my life.

I guess there is hope that the foreign-born's will have kids who will be born here and will have the same feeling that Toronto is home. Otherwise, Toronto will be no more than a place to work, gather up some money and abandon one day.

So I wonder: Is one half the UT "population" foreign born? Could be an interesting poll.

I'm 100% Canadian but have trouble identifying with anything "Canadian" or Waspy--even though I grew up in Canada I feel like a British lad mixed with some Texan and some kinda nomadic culture....

How much longer before 90% of Toronto is foreign born? 2030? Gonna be a different city for sure....
Count me in, born London, UK 1971, arrived in Canada 1976, got citizenship 1991. Of course many of my friends who are also immigrants but of a darker shade refuse to identify me as an immigrant.

Count me in, born London, UK 1971, arrived in Canada 1976, got citizenship 1991.

must have been hard to move to a new place with strange customs. how long did it take before you were able to pick up the local language and fit in with the locals?

"Perhaps that's why we haven't become the great city we can become. Toronto is a place where people live, but they don't call it home. Home is the place where they'll eventually retire to."

I'm not sure I can agree although I understand the sentiment. Conversely you could almost justify a contrary theory, that the problem with Toronto and Canada in general is Canadian born people. Foreign born contribute disproportionately towards the building of our economy and culture precisely because they are not saddled with the baggage of cultural traits that both contribute greatly and at the same hinder the progress of our society. On the economic side this is almost irrefutable. Business and industry in this country was disproportionately developed by Americans and to a lesser degree immigrants from other nations.

"Perhaps that's why we haven't become the great city we can become. Toronto is a place where people live, but they don't call it home. Home is the place where they'll eventually retire to."

I was born in Australia to Italian parents and I administer Urban Toronto so I don't buy that one bit. Let's set up that poll.

Foreign born but my only allegiance is to Canada. I feel privileged to live in Toronto.

Foreign born... a bit surprised at the results at the moment.

I can't agree with MetroMan's theory; immigrants are a vital part of the city's transformation.

I imagine the Italian-born population must be shrinking at a very rapid rate.

The older folks originally from Italy are passing on. Their offspring are becoming integrated. My parents are in their 70's and would consider themselves Italian Canadians. While I speak Italian I consider myself Canadian with an Italian back ground. I doubt my daughter will consider herself anything but Canadian.

Canadian born, but to one parent who was an immigrant and another who was a refugee from war-shredded Europe. Canada was free of the strife they left, and they made sure that I understood that fact. My cultural background is mixed, so I feel quite Canadian in that respect.

Back