News   Sep 12, 2024
 194     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 889     0 

Star: A prayer for the city's great churches

The French aren't a race, silly.
From Dictionary.com -

race -noun
1. a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2. a population so related.

Hiding your racism behind technicalities isn't helping your case.

there's only one way to find out if he's really racist.

beez, what do you call "pieces of potato that have been cut into batons and deep-fried" ?

a) french fries

b) freedom fries

c) chips

The "palace" isn't stranded, rather surrounded by skyscrapers, and it itself was the Stalinist bombast. (Now, Stalin's name isn't even found on the building, the statues which once read "Marx, Lenin, Stalin" now only have the first two names).

Warsaw6vb.jpg

You didn't think every building in Warsaw looked like the Palace did you?

Come to think of it, there is something "Downtown Mississauga" about that image;-) (And while it shows how PCS has been brought to "skyline scale", pedestrian scale is another matter; you just can't easily "fix" such a thing. And I *was* referring to the Stalinist bombast in and of itself.)

Brampton isn't a dystopia today, though the sprawling subdivisions. The new church does not look like the Palace of Culture, and it's surrounded by a subdivision where the street names are Polish inspired. The church organizes picnics with music (contemporary, live), dancing, food every Sunday in the summer and hundreds of people show up.

Don't take my comparison too literally; I was alluding more to the cheesiness of the design, in a "what hath Postmodernism wrought" sense...
Church.gif

Back