News   Apr 30, 2024
 489     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 1K     0 

St Lawrence Market

It is the patio for Origin (www.origintoronto.com) I also assume they will have some sort of barrier between restaurant and sidewalk but it sure looks better than the parking lot!

Yup, this is Claudio Aprile's new restaurant, which has a more "normal" small plates menu compared to his molecular gastronified Colborne Lane joint nearby. Based on the money and effort they spent restoring and beautifying the interior of this building for the new restaurant, I'm sure they have additional fantastic plans for the patio. The doors and windows on the side are new, punched through as part of the reno. The new stonework is just the beginning of the patio, but already it is a vast improvement. Some planter boxes and nice railings will make it a more pleasant spot to eat come warmer weather. One day people will be astonished to learn that this corner was a parking lot until 2010.

There's a lot more info about the extensive restoration on the restaurant blog, here: http://origintoronto.com/blog/

Bruce Bell wrote about the background of these two very historic buildings here:

http://www.adecco.ca/uploads/files/king_street_e._historyfinalforwebsite_loadoct.28-04.pdf [PDF]

When strolling by, Origin is certainly a very eye catching restaurant. How's the food? Anyone been?

I was at St. Lawrence Market after work on Monday to meet a friend at the Flatiron. No sun at all on the patio at that time of day and I couldn't help to think that The Berczy will overshadow it. We ended up sitting on the patio at The Corner Place where I had a nice view of the crane at Market Wharf while drinking a Newcastle Brown Ale and dreaming of my future home. :)

There are some serious renovations going on at this restaurant, at Front & Yonge Streets. (the old Shopsy's Restaurant) Does anybody know what's going in here. Frans Restaurant is also going into this building, on the east side.[video=youtube;j5UTtJ97wXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UTtJ97wXU[/video]

There are some serious renovations going on at this restaurant, at Front & Yonge Streets. (the old Shopsy's Restaurant) Does anybody know what's going in here. Frans Restaurant is also going into this building, on the east side.[video=youtube;j5UTtJ97wXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5UTtJ97wXU[/video]

The new restaurant is going to be an Oliver & Bonacini. http://www.oliverbonacini.com/Bayview-Village.aspx

Biff's Bistro, next door, is one of their restaurants... didn't know that.

I've been to the O&B at Bayview Village and I must say I'm very happy they're opening at Yonge & Front. It has a very fresh decor, light and airy, and the food is delicious. Based on the location, it will attract a lot of traffic.

Biff's Bistro, next door, is one of their restaurants... didn't know that.

I've been to the O&B at Bayview Village and I must say I'm very happy they're opening at Yonge & Front. It has a very fresh decor, light and airy, and the food is delicious. Based on the location, it will attract a lot of traffic.

A branch of Fran's is going in at the other side of Biff's - corner of Scott. There's more on this in the new Restaurant thread.

The plans for the current LCBO store on Front Street East and Market Street buildings appear to be moving ahead: The owners applied for this, and several other, permits. The plan is, I am told, to expand the LCBO Store along the second floor of the Market Street building which adjoins it and put retail into the ground floor of this (the old Fish Market Restaurant) building. Maybe a Beer Store could go at the Esplanade end!.

Application: Mechanical(MS) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1B8

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 174522 HVA 00 MS Accepted Date: May 31, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Building Permit Related(MS)

Description: HVAC - Proposal to combine buildings 87 Front Street, 12 Market Street, 8 Market Street and 118 The Esplanade to one single building (Multiple tenants). Proposal includes interior demolition and interior alterations, including demolition and construction of a three storey addition on 118 The Esplanade. Demolition of existing service garage on 118 The Esplanade to follow. See 09-148786.

Last edited:
Sounds very promising.

For what is smack dab in the centre of the neighbourhood, that strip along Market St. needs some work! And the LCBO certainly needs to be much larger in size.

they have put in planters around the perimeter of the patio. looks good so far, but im still wondering how they are going to level the table and chairs on the unleveled patio.

Attachments

• DSC02071.jpg
    DSC02071.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 444
There are tables that have adjustable legs so that the table then becomes level. However, rarely do I see them in practice. Even when used, rarely are they ever adjusted as intended to be. Probably because who ever sets the tables doesn't care about the details. But this looks to be a very promising corner street patio so hopefully they do.

The furniture is being installed today.... looks more like a outdoor lounge than and place to eat. If it turns out anything like the outdoor lounge at the Boiler Room, then we're all in for a treat. I'll post some pictures as soon as its done.

Yesterday's Antique Market was remarkably quiet when I got there at 9 a.m. - less than half the usual number of dealers set up, and very few members of the public in evidence. Not a bargain to be had, either.

Market Street Revitalization

Great article on BlogTO today about the upcoming revitalization of Market St. I really hope they go with the full pedestrianization option, the road is so narrow and clogged with parked cars and pedestrians that I doubt much traffic flows through it anyway. It would help transform the area, especially once the new North Market is completed.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/09/market_street_gets_a_much-needed_makeover/

I'll attach the two render images, too, does anyone know where the originals for these can be found?

market-street2.jpg
market-st1.jpg

Attachments

• market-street2.jpg
    market-street2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 514
  • market-st1.jpg
    market-st1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 534

Back