News   May 21, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 695     0 
News   May 21, 2024
 524     0 

St Lawrence Market

More photos of the renovation of the Old Fish Market on Market Street

Here are some more photos I took of the Old Fish Market restaurant reno from the roof of my building.
From what I understand the former restaurant was once the Armoury Hotel built in c1858 and added onto in the c1870's when the stables were built in the back. You can just make out the original structure in photo #6 that eventually was covered over in subsequent renovations over the years.

Attachments

• Market Street redo-6.JPG
    Market Street redo-6.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 387
  • Market Street redo-9.jpg
    Market Street redo-9.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Market Street redo-8.JPG
    Market Street redo-8.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 385
  • Market Street redo-7.jpg
    Market Street redo-7.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 387
  • Market Street redo-10.JPG
    Market Street redo-10.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Market Street redo-5.jpg
    Market Street redo-5.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 393
This restaurant is still open? I went there in the early 90s with my family and it was one of the worst meals we've ever had. They probably stole Captain John's leftovers.

Great photos of the old Fish Market Restaurant - which has been closed for a decade and there is a lot more info on the renovation (rebuilding) of that whole side of Market Street in the thread on the whole project which is at http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.p...odcliffe-Properties-5s-3s-3s)&highlight=Front The plans received a pretty warm (hot even) welcome from the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association a couple of months ago and I understand that the plans to (partially anyway) pedestrianise the street are continuing.

"This restaurant is still open? I went there in the early 90s with my family and it was one of the worst meals we've ever had. They probably stole Captain John's leftovers." QUOTE John Revolta.

We walk in there with our lawyer, mid '80s.

Say he, 'I smell fish."

Say we, "Of course you do, this is a fish restaurant!"

Say he, " My father was in the fresh fish business, only rotting fish smell."

Reguards,
J T

Looks like the Adelaide Street retail at Vu is being taken by the mid priced furniture retailer BO Concept - boconcept.us
At least this is much better than a Hasty Market!

I dunno. I remember those old Lifebuoy commercials. BO isn't that great, you know

I think it would be neat if they could make Market St. a pedestrian mall and make it continuous under Front St. going north to connect with the northern pedestrian side, effectively making Front St. a bridge. It already sits quite low with respect to Front St. on the south side. Have vendors and public market kiosks along the whole stretch, and spilling out of the soon to be new North Market building.

It's only a few months I've been working near the market ... all wintertime, but personally I've found the pedestrian mall on Market street rather desolate. It would have more street life if there were cars there.

Perhaps things change in the summer ...

It's only a few months I've been working near the market ... all wintertime, but personally I've found the pedestrian mall on Market street rather desolate. It would have more street life if there were cars there. Perhaps things change in the summer ...

The plan is to have cafes etc in street level of the old Fish Market (whose front wall is all that is there at present) with a wider sidewalk for patios. The top floor of the (new) building will be for the extension of the existing LCBO - it's on the same level. Initially the LCBO will be temporarily on the main level while they fix up their current home and knock through to ther upper floor of the rebuilt building but will then move upstairs and the proposed cafes will move in. Market Street between Front and The Esplanade MAY become a pedestrian only street during the summer (but I guess not until 2012.)

Hopefully pedestrian only all year long.

nfitz, not sure what you mean that there would be more street life if there were cars there. It's already a little throughfare for driving and for loading/unloading at the market. Cars won't make this little lane more exciting or attractive. Note that there isn't a pedestrian mall as Register describes currently in existence.

The street life will come when the cafes/restaurants and associated patios arrive. It would be perfect if Market was a pedestrian only cobblestone lane then there would be a connection between the South Market and the old fish market building's restaurants with vendor kiosks and people strolling in between.

St. Lawrence Market is one of the key centres of Toronto. If a compromise is made to allow cars and this potential gem isn't beautified and made pedestrian-only then it will be a lost opportunity to do something truly world class.

Hopefully pedestrian only all year long. .

I agree and suspect that once the doubters (primarily the merchants in the South Market) see the benefits of a summer pedestrian mall they will come around to an all-year one. Before anyone raises the present on-street loading/unloading zone for the LCBO you should know it is being moved and it will be off The Esplanade through, or west of, the new low-rise building to be built at the SW corner of Market and The Esplanade.

What I dislike is how when a street is pedestrianized, it often seems to simply be treated as some park or ambiguous public space. The pedestrianized Market Street doesn't appear on Google Maps anymore. There is no "Market Street" sign on the north side of Front Street. Just because it's pedestrianized doesn't mean it should no longer be seen as a street.

When I see Market Street full of vendors, it's great sight with a definite old Toronto feel. There's something quite pleasant about a marketplace amidst the canopy of the trees which line the street and the copula of St. Lawrence Hall. Its pedestrianized nature makes it seem like it's in its natural state. Toronto should have outdoor spaces where people can just vend things without permits or regulation, a sort of year-round marketplace.

Also, I think stone paving should be restored on The Esplanade, since it has a legacy of stone paving.

nfitz, not sure what you mean that there would be more street life if there were cars there. It's already a little throughfare for driving and for loading/unloading at the market. Cars won't make this little lane more exciting or attractive. Note that there isn't a pedestrian mall as Register describes currently in existence.
I referred to the existing pedestrian mall on Market Street. Unless I've completely mixed up the names of the streets, my understanding that this currently is the section of Market Street between King and Front, just to the west of the North Market and St. Lawrence Hall. If this isn't Market Street what street is it?

During the winter that stretch seems desolate ... a rare piece of downtown where no one is around you when you walk down it. And judging from the snow heaped up in the middle of street, no one lingers.

What has happened in summers past?

I referred to the existing pedestrian mall on Market Street. Unless I've completely mixed up the names of the streets, my understanding that this currently is the section of Market Street between King and Front, just to the west of the North Market and St. Lawrence Hall. If this isn't Market Street what street is it?

During the winter that stretch seems desolate ... a rare piece of downtown where no one is around you when you walk down it. And judging from the snow heaped up in the middle of street, no one lingers.

What has happened in summers past?

On the City Map this is NOT shown as a street and is called "Market Lane Park". I think that when it was created - after Market Square was built n the early 1980s - it was 'de-streeted' and it is now looked after by Parks rather than Transportation. When (or, god forbid,, if) the North Market development goes ahead this park will change and be more closely incorporated into the Market. I agree with you that it is now rather poorly used and not very welcoming. In winter I am always susprised that the BIA puts up lights at the Front Street end and in St James Park on the north side of King Street but never links them with additional lighting.

"the BIA puts up lights at the Front Street end and in St James Park on the north side of King Street but never links them with additional lighting. " QUOTE DSC.

The BIA of that area & it's lighting are a total disaster.

Regards,
J T

Back