News   Sep 17, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Sep 17, 2024
 809     0 
News   Sep 17, 2024
 613     0 

St Lawrence Market

I still want to know why there are 18+ poles at this intersection.

I mean, I know why, but I want to know why the City / Toronto Hydro / TTC think it's acceptable at possibly the most touristed / photographed intersection in all of Toronto.
There are so many poles EVERYWHERE because it is apparently easier to put your own pole up than work out a sharing arrangement with another utility. Totally stupid but .... (The intersection of Wellington and Scott is even worse as they used HUGE poles for traffic lights!)

I still want to know why there are 18+ poles at this intersection.

I mean, I know why, but I want to know why the City / Toronto Hydro / TTC think it's acceptable at possibly the most touristed / photographed intersection in all of Toronto.

Because they don't think?

AoD

It's a very confusing crossing and a full cross might actually work well.
I just submitted it to Chris Moise's 'projects' website. https://torontocentreprojects.ca/en/

flatiron.jpg

Last edited:
For reasons I do not fully understand, Uniqlo are, today, setting up a store on BERKELEY STREET between King & Adelaide. in THIS building. Happy to have a store closer to home but tis does seem an odd location!
58 Berkeley is the Transmission Studios event space. I'm sure this is just a popup for a day or two to promote something, maybe their upcoming fall/winter clothing line or one of many artist collaborations they do. It's far too small and off the beaten track to be a proper Uniqlo store; they're all in the big malls.

58 Berkeley is the Transmission Studios event space. I'm sure this is just a popup for a day or two to promote something, maybe their upcoming fall/winter clothing line or one of many artist collaborations they do. It's far too small and off the beaten track to be a proper Uniqlo store; they're all in the big malls.
Yes, makes sense - the space is far too small for a real store - though it WOULD be convenient!

Is there any where we can get more information on this store (when it'll open, for how long, etc). I'd like to go check it out - it's definitely piqued my curiosity.

I walk by there almost every week. CityPainter is correct. It's an event space used for promotion. Uniqlo has been there before. Adidas as well (They even had basketball nets on the parking lot). I've seen beauty brands as well.

Is there any where we can get more information on this store (when it'll open, for how long, etc). I'd like to go check it out - it's definitely piqued my curiosity.
This is probably invite only. I suspect uniqlo invites their staff and possible influencers to explore the products before they get put in store. Me and my partner have asked the people at the door before. Sometimes they let you in but other times it's restricted to whoever has been invited

This was last year in May
PXL_20230512_003623600.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230512_003647118.jpg
    PXL_20230512_003647118.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
It's an interesting idea but I think the distance from the opposite corners is pretty long. How long would it take a slower pedestrian to get from say the northeast corner all the way over to the southwest?
I think the intent would be to let pedestrians cross the middle of the intersection itself. As it stands, if you're in the middle on the flatiron side you have to cross north or south - it's cumbersome if you're looking at going eastwards from there. I'd appreciate a road diet but a scramble would be nice too if it allowed pedestrians to cross where they cannot currently.

I think the intent would be to let pedestrians cross the middle of the intersection itself. As it stands, if you're in the middle on the flatiron side you have to cross north or south - it's cumbersome if you're looking at going eastwards from there. I'd appreciate a road diet but a scramble would be nice too if it allowed pedestrians to cross where they cannot currently.
Yes, if it were a scramble crossing then crossing from the "median island" on Front to the FlatIron would be allowed and I agree it would be useful

The Toronto Sculpture Garden has been temporarily closed "for maintenance including remediation and pest control" until September.

I think this is good. It's been looking a bit rough, especially since the adjoining restaurant closed. The fountain has not run this year and has been spraypainted a few times. The last artwork to appear there earlier this summer was immediately destroyed/vandalized (though the artist said this was intentional -- fine, very conceptual, but it didn't do much to make the garden a welcoming stop in the neighbourhood.)

Then I cut through there at night earlier in the summer and it looked like the ground was moving, it was teeming with so many rats running back and forth in the plantings and on the grass. I got freaked out and left quickly. The most rats I've ever seen in one place and some of them were BIG.

Back