News   May 10, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

St Lawrence Market

Had the pleasure of discovering’ Jamie Hub at 264 The Esplanade today while on my morning walk. Got a quick tour from Mae the director and took a few pix. It is a non-profit that hosts community building events in the area and also rents out its very cute space on a sliding scale. Photos taken 22 February. https://www.jamii.ca/

View attachment 542596View attachment 542597View attachment 542598View attachment 542599View attachment 542600View attachment 542601View attachment 542602
Actually, Jamii Hub but no matter, Jamii have been a wonderful neighbourhood resource in St Lawrence for about 15 years and their founder Isorine Marc is a 'force of nature' who will never take "no" as a good answer for one of her amazing projects.

Actually, Jamii Hub but no matter, Jamii have been a wonderful neighbourhood resource in St Lawrence for about 15 years and their founder Isorine Marc is a 'force of nature' who will never take "no" as a good answer for one of her amazing projects.
Thank you for the clarification. Spellcheck got me!

Reactions: DSC
We’ve taken the kid to a bunch of their shows. They’re always fun.

IMG_0091_Original.jpeg

Not sure if it has been posted here already. I went a few pages back and didn't see it. I noticed that The Works burger place at Wellington/Church is closed. The sign on the door doesn't say why. Just notes their other locations.

Update: never mind. Just saw @DSC posted on December 17th here about its closure.

Yeah, I think most of us neighbourhood observers would be very surprised if this ever reopens.

Based on the one time I tried this chain, no great loss (apologies to any staff).

But I found the food pedestrian.

Not quite sure where best to post this but I have heard that the Hydro One tunnel being bored from The Esplanade transformer station to the one on Terauley (Bay/Dundas) has been completed. or at least the tunnel is complete.

"Hydro One plays an important role in delivering electricity to your community by supplying power to Toronto Hydro and its customers. We are currently upgrading existing underground transmission cables that provide power to Toronto's downtown core from our Esplanade Transformer Station (TS) to Terualey TS. We anticipate work will be complete in 2026.

Originally built in the 1950s, the underground cables located between our Esplanade Transformer Station (TS) and Terauley TS are reaching their end of life and will be replaced to ensure that we continue to energize the city's most crucial institutions. The map below shows the tunnel route selected for the new cables through the Class Environmental Assessment (EA) process completed for the project in June 2020. The new underground tunnel will run between the stations at a depth of approximately 25 metres below ground in bedrock within existing road allowances.

In addition to the installation of the new tunnel, new tunnel access shafts will be constructed at both Esplanade TS and Terauley TS. During the Class EA process, we communicated that a mid shaft would also be required near the intersection of Sherbourne Street and Shuter Street. We have now completed the design process and determined that the mid shaft is no longer required and will not be built.

Map showing new underground tunnel route:

Map of the Power Downtown Toronto Project preferred route

Not quite sure where best to post this but I have heard that the Hydro One tunnel being bored from The Esplanade transformer station to the one on Terauley (Bay/Dundas) has been completed. or at least the tunnel is complete.

You created a thread for this here. :)

Wow. Last year they said the tunnel would take a year! (Jan 23, 2023 to Feb 28, 2024). 2.6 km, 3m diameter, 26m deep.

Some vendor news for the Market:

The former Sausage King space will be filled with Blackbird Baking Co. - Excellent addition to the market.

The vacant Whitehouse Meats spot will be filled by a relocating Scheffler that wants more space with a better layout.

The City is already in talks for the current Scheffler space, aiming to find another 'raw' purveyor (so meat/seafood etc.)

Some vendor news for the Market:

The former Sausage King space will be filled with Blackbird Baking Co. - Excellent addition to the market.

The vacant Whitehouse Meats spot will be filled by a relocating Scheffler that wants more space with a better layout.

The City is already in talks for the current Scheffler space, aiming to find another 'raw' purveyor (so meat/seafood etc.)

Excellent news! I've been hoping for a good bakery at the market. Now I won't have to cross the bridge for decent sourdough! It's also good to hear the city isn't looking to add another prepared food counter.

Will Scheffler's keep the Whitehouse counter layout? I imagine it will need to be redesigned to actually give them more space?

Excellent news! I've been hoping for a good bakery at the market. Now I won't have to cross the bridge for decent sourdough!

Agreed!

It's also good to hear the city isn't looking to add another prepared food counter.

Also agreed. In point of fact, I'd like to see some of the food court-esque stuff in the basement turfed. (apologies to the owners, but its just not what I want to see in the market) I don't mind it as an ancillary thing (bakery selling some sandwiches, made w/their bread, on the side); nor a limited presence of diverse tastes for something to much on; preferable w/said vendor using other market vendors as their suppliers......

But that should be entirely secondary if not tertiary, and then, only if done well.

Will Scheffler's keep the Whitehouse counter layout? I imagine it will need to be redesigned to actually give them more space?

I don't know; my impression is that they will keep it in part anyway, but i can't see how they could keep it all, as the current service model for Schleffer's involves some self-service shelving, which the Whitehouse layout clearly doesn't allow for as is.

Back