News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

SRT to be shut down for refurbishment (2015)

And they will be told that there is nothing that can be done. The SRT must be shut down and can no longer continue service due to its age and there is simply no other way around it.

The public is well aware of the impeding SRT shutdown. It's been in the news.

Are you sure about this? I would guess that a substantial majority do not have a clue that the SRT will be shut down, let alone shut down for 3 or more years.

Yeah I very much doubt the GP is overly aware of the impending shutdown and even if they are, are they aware how long it will be shut down? Unlikely.

As I've said many times, I would rather run the SRT into the ground while a subway is built along a different alignment to STC.

Nonsense. Shut down the RT and you don't need ridiculous grade-separated transit from STC to Malvern. Transit City style LRT will suffice.

Heck, BRT would be more than enough, especially if the subway is extended to Sheppard & McCowan. Use the Sheppard East BRT lanes until Neilson, and then run the bus up Neilson into Malvern. Rapid and effective connection to the subway.

They may be aware of it. But they won't get angry until they are waiting ten deep at Kennedy to board shuttle buses. Watch the fun then.

Well, the next mayor will be elected in 2014, the SRT is scheduled to be shut-down in 2015. I doubt Rob Ford, or whoever runs is going to make the SRT shutdown a key plank of their campaign. The TTC, for it's criticism, is doing a better job of communicating, and running replacement bus service these days. Until the SRT is shutdown, and we see the replacement service in operation, it's not very productive predicting doom and gloom.

They may be aware of it. But they won't get angry until they are waiting ten deep at Kennedy to board shuttle buses. Watch the fun then.

IS the plan to run shuttle buses, instead of extending individual routes that now terminate at STC to Kennedy instead? The latter would minimize inconvenience - it would actually eliminate a transfer compared to now.

Run temporary service on the corridor from Kennedy to Union and back during rush hour. Maybe even up to Ellesmere and have many of the bus routes converge there as well. They may like it much better and want to keep it!

IS the plan to run shuttle buses, instead of extending individual routes that now terminate at STC to Kennedy instead? The latter would minimize inconvenience - it would actually eliminate a transfer compared to now.

They TTC staff on hand had said that it would be a combination of replacement shuttle buses and the extension of several routes at one of the open houses for the conversion of the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They TTC staff on hand had said that it would be a combination of replacement shuttle buses and the extension of several routes at one of the open houses for the conversion of the line.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Really, their hoping that wherever possible people will divert themselves to Kennedy or Bayview. Except, those stations are going to be rammed. It's going to get interesting. And whoever is in the mayor's chair when it happens may well wear it.

I don't buy for a second that shuttle buses will be sufficient. People put up with that today when the SRT breaks down. But for 3 years? I doubt it.

I'll have to say this: I rode the SRT for the first time in a spell last weekend, and it was *really* noisy. Kind of like if there were a whooshy 70s80s-tech version of a Jack Benny's Maxwell sound, that's what the SRT sounds like these days...

Anyone who has ever ridden the new MK111 trains would never recommend tearing down the line. Vancouver has proven that SkyTrain is cost effective, safe, reliable, very frequent, comfortable, quiet, accessible, and fast.........the hallmarks of a great transit system. Just because Toronto made a conscious decision to run the thing into the ground with no intention of ever making it a good transit line is Toronto's fault and not the technology's.

Anyone who has ever ridden the new MK111 trains would never recommend tearing down the line. Vancouver has proven that SkyTrain is cost effective, safe, reliable, very frequent, comfortable, quiet, accessible, and fast.........the hallmarks of a great transit system. Just because Toronto made a conscious decision to run the thing into the ground with no intention of ever making it a good transit line is Toronto's fault and not the technology's.

Do those fit on our line?

The Mark II's will not fit without modifications to the Ellesmere Tunnel, and guideway.

The Metrolinx benefits case study(which also recommends LRT conversion) is a good place to start looking for info. The TTC did a report a few years back too.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...ion/benefitscases/Benefits_Case_SRT_Final.pdf

It's interesting to note that a full conversion to Mark II vehicles(Option 1) is actually more expensive than conversion to LRT (Option 3).

Last edited:

Except that, as has been pointed out to you many, many times, it is an orphan technology in Toronto. They are replacing it with something that will not be a technological orphan, and which for far less cost can be easily expanded.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back