Square One Shopping Centre

Where can one go to see old pictures of inside square one when it first opened and mid 90s? Interested to see how much it has changed since.

The theatre was located on the first floor next to the Bay, a fitness centre took its place.
large.JPG

large.jpg

cinema treasures: 1973-1997 This was opened by 20th Century Theatres and taken over by Famous Players in 1980 and closed in 1997 when the nearby Coliseum opened. It had four screens with 1,425 seats in all.

Grand opening from 1973. The centre of the mall contained an open air food court but it was closed off in 1984
square-one-opening.jpg

Main entrance 1989
square-one-1989.jpg

From 1978
hf0165la.jpg

by Bert Hoferichter, MPA

Last edited:
As best as I remember, the open air bit in the middle was not a food court, but a landscaped courtyard that had little interaction with the surrounding retail. Behind those balconies were mostly brick walls.

Does anyone know what is going on the SW parking lot of Square One and the southern portion of the one just east of it? Both are now boarded off.

Picture 4.jpg

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,897
Does anyone know what is going on the SW parking lot of Square One and the southern portion of the one just east of it? Both are now boarded off.

Phase II expansion for Holt and a new southern extension. More like phase 20 for the mall from the original one.

Reworking the parking lot for the new expansion since the existing driveway and the 2 rows of parking in front of the south side will be remove once construction starts later this year.

Can't remember where I found this pic (might have been this forum) but if anyone else has stuff from a similar era I'd love to see it as well.

Have some great memories of being there as a kid..

Dec27-Mississauga-SquareOneMall.jpg

Phase II expansion for Holt and a new southern extension. More like phase 20 for the mall from the original one.

That made me laugh....I remember (as I am sure you do) when "square 1" wasn't just a clever name...the entire mall was one square and it was the easiest mall to navigate around.....now I avoid it because my simple brain is not up to challenge of finding stuff there!

Looking north-west in 1973.....welcome to paradise.
Square One 1973.jpg

Attachments

• Square One 1973.jpg
    Square One 1973.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 2,859
If one took a photo of the area as per the 1973, you will see the mess that is there now. The city really blew it.

I was a sub contractor on a couple of the expansion and they are history now.

Looks like Showcase will be the first to open on the lower level in the coming months and before the Sept date.

The ceiling is being replace now.
12244869963_321080c5ea_b.jpg

If you're nostalgic for those brown and rust coloured tiles you can still find them in the inner corridors of the original wing where public washrooms are located.

Can't remember where I found this pic (might have been this forum) but if anyone else has stuff from a similar era I'd love to see it as well.

Have some great memories of being there as a kid..

Dec27-Mississauga-SquareOneMall.jpg

Back