Southcore Financial Ctr: PricewaterhouseCoopers Tower (18 York St, bcIMC, 26s, KPMB)

Wylie, amazing. Thanks. I am quite astonished by how quickly things are developing down there. I have always thought that the railway poses less of a barrier than the Gardiner, and the sheer quantity of passageways between the core and the railways lands I think is indicative of this.

I wonder if the PATH will ever make it to the watefront?

Nice to see it in context. It's massing and design will work well with Telus- I quite like it.

Thanks for all the info, mark simpson wylie, yyz et al.

It would be interesting to see whether there will be a change in sentiment with regards to the connectivity of our waterfront in a few years.

AoD

Word at SSC is that Lanterra/Cadillac is so pleased with the success of Maple Leaf Square, that they want to do something similar across the street at 16 York.

Mongo,

Lanterra and Cadillac have been working on those plans since late last summer. Negotiations with the city are ongoing. The office component will certainly be greater than was the case with MLS. I haven't confirmed if MLSE will be a partner with this development, but will try to get a more details to post in the near future.

re: office development

Immediately before and after the announcement of the big 3 (BA/Telus/RBC), there is a lot of talk in the media as to how the market is going to absorb all the office space in 3 years or so. What motivates these current slate of projects given that environment?

AoD

Wow.train tracks surrounded by dense skysrapers..seems a lot like..hmmm..Tokyo.

yyzer: 151 Front and 20 York are the same project

Wow. They're fitting in a city between the tracks and the Gardiner! Who knew?!

BUGEYEDCANUCK 42

PS - 18 York's similar massing will make the Telus Tower look better than it was going to on its own. Looking forward to further renders of this one, oh, and a construction (and lead tennant?) announcement...

Word at SSC is that Lanterra/Cadillac is so pleased with the success of Maple Leaf Square, that they want to do something similar across the street at 16 York. The city does require them to include a large office component -- about 45-50 floors worth -- but more MLS-type condos could also fit in the plot. The site could hold up to three substantial buildings. So could we be looking at a 45-50 floor office building (180m-210m) plus two more MLS-type condo buildings (175m-185m)?

If so, York and Bremner would end up being quite a dense intersection.

It would be nice if they actually put up some true landmark towers this time.

Good to see all this development between the tracks and the Gardiner. Maybe now people will come to realize that everything south of Front Street really isnt waterfront property, and that growth of the city towards the water is better for both the urban fabric and the waterfront than filling that space with parks. buildings along the street will bring people down to the water. Parks in that area will keep them away.

Wylie, you're a sketchup machine. Now, go render the rest of the city!

But as I never tire of saying, this drives me bonkers. Compare the perspective in the rendering with Wylie's much saner angle:

Picture%202.png
18york2.jpg

Arrg! Must every rendering of a tower be shot through a lens that makes the picture totally misleading with regards to the building's geometry? B/A, RBC, 1BE rederings all do this: it looks like the building not only gets wider as it rises (which it might have, like the Ritz, though I didn't fall for it this time), but that its footprint is wedge or trapezoid shaped (which it might have been, like Burano. I admit, I got my hopes up).

^Yes, that's how they mislea... I mean sell their product. No trapezoid, romboid or hemerroid shape, it's all right angles again. Contectually it seems to work however.

I am sitting at my desk looking at a column about a metre away. As my eye follows the column up, it does appear to be leaning outwards. I don't feel that my eyes are misleading me, or that the KPMB rendering is misleading, since they both take a street-level perspective we are all familiar with as pedestrians. The perspective in wylie's rendering is different, taken from about the eighth floor of the building, but is no more accurate.

hopefully something taller goes west of this building.does anyone know who owns that property?is it still fairmount?

i sit just me but on the building it says a name. I don't know if that's the developer because I can't see al the letters

Back