Solaris Condos (Tridel) - Real Estate -

Solaris, the reason I'm looking at the penthouse units is because they have the most space. To my knowledge, there are no other large units in the building. I thought that solaris was a very nice project, although, my opinion changed a little after what you said.

So you think that buying one of these isn't worth it? I really appreciate your input.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12050501&PidKey=-1414378639
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12047560&PidKey=-2109947824

I spend quite some time in the building and I don't think the building is cheaper than any of the other condos being built today. In fact, I actually like Solaris quite a bit and I think the common areas are much nicer than many buildings around town. The gym is amazing.

As far as the high rental rate. The building's fairly new. This is very typical of new buildings. Eventually it will become more of an end user building. The board may be crap, but they can be voted out.

My issues:
getting out of the parking garage can be very frustrating. It's hard to explain but why Tridel put the entrance/exit where they did is beyond me.

There are a lot of families...so that means a lot of kids...and a lot of noise.

The pool/jacuzzi area makes no sense.

I don't think the building is going to make you any money since it's in Scarborough. BUt it is right of the 401 which is a good selling feature. I wouldn't overpay for anything especially there.

I completely agree with you with regards to the front parking entrance and the ridiculously tight corners and blind spots which always create near-accidents and traffic jams in the the parking garage

Tridel decided to value-engineer and shrunk the pool to approx. 1/2 the originally proposed width, thus we are now left with a 'bowling alley' sized pool ... a total joke indeed; as for the jacuzzi, it was supposed to be rectangular (possibly seating 10?), now it is a TINY thing that sits no more than 2 persons

I wouldn't say there are a lot of families in my building at least, I see largely young couple and single individuals

Super easy access to Highway 401 is surely a major selling feature of the project ...

chazed ... being no expert on the subjectd, my 2 cents are as follows ...

As far as I know, the first unit unit ...being PH5, the 2G+D model, would be southwest facing from Solaris 1 with unobstructed view to downtown

Up side is unit has 2 parking spaces and locker which came as extra cost to original purchaser. Down side is the unit has no upgrades of any sort (that I could tell it looks same as typical standard finishes) which one would otherwise expect from a 'penthouse' unit.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12050501&PidKey=-1414378639

This is the 2G+D floor plan:
2gd_floor.gif

The second unit ... being PH25, the 2H+D model, would be unobstructed northeast facing from Solaris 2, this is larger than the other unit and has slightly better/less awkward floorplan than the other one

Same comment as above. Up side is unit has 2 parking spaces and locker which came as extra cost to original purchaser. Down side is the unit has no upgrades of any sort.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12047560&PidKey=-2109947824

This is the 2H+D floor plan:
2hd_floor.gif

If you are buying to live in, sure you may consider ... but if you are buying with the expectation of property appreciation, I will suggest you to not look in this property (or Scarborough for that matter) .... generally I would be very cautious of any pricing above $425 per sq.ft. here

Thank you so much for that comprehensive analysis, Solaris! I really appreciate your help. Now, I just found this unit as well, how would you say this compares to the other units? And all of these are on the 40th floor, am I correct?

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12046583&PidKey=1991150718

This unit is under $500,000. This price seems understandable to me for scarborough. How do you feel about this one?

And as much as I would LOVE to move out of scarborough (LOL) I can't for family and work reasons. I personally think that metrogate is going to be the nicest condo project in the whole east-end of Toronto.

Thank you so much for that comprehensive analysis, Solaris! I really appreciate your help. Now, I just found this unit as well, how would you say this compares to the other units? And all of these are on the 40th floor, am I correct?

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=12046583&PidKey=1991150718

This unit is under $500,000. This price seems understandable to me for scarborough. How do you feel about this one?

And as much as I would LOVE to move out of scarborough (LOL) I can't for family and work reasons. I personally think that metrogate is going to be the nicest condo project in the whole east-end of Toronto.

The above noted PH23 unit in Solaris 2 is the same (awkward IMO) layout as PH5 in Solaris 1, the difference being this is northwest facing ... the claim of $9000 in upgrades seems to be BS, as they have standard flooring, standard kitchen cabinets and granite, standard appliances, no undermount sink, standard metal frame shower door, standard (cheap) bathroom accesories

On the plus side, like the other units, this has locker and 2 parking spaces ... all PH level units have 9' ceiling (no bulkheads)

Thanks for all your help! I have made have decision to move to Solaris. I will purchase one of these units, but I'm still not sure which one. If you were buying one of these for yourself, which one would you buy? I am planning to live long-term, and obviously not to rent it out. I really appreciate your opinion Solaris.

Thanks for your help! :)

i dont understand why you would spend $500K for 1,200 sq ft 2 b+ den/2 bath unit in Scarborough ?!?!?
you can find larger freehold properties for that price nearby.

Well cdr108, I am looking for a NEW place to live that I will not have to maintain (lawn, garden, etc). If I was looking for a freehold home in the area, I could find something for much less than this price. But again, I want something new, and I want amenities. No freehold house in the area will come with a pool or a gym, and probably wouldn't have space for parties. That's why I'm looking in this building, and willing to pay that much. But, everyone has their own opinions.

Solaris, thanks for all your help! I have made have decision to move to Solaris. I will purchase one of these units, but I'm still not sure which one. If you were buying one of these for yourself, which one would you buy? I am planning to live long-term, and obviously not to rent it out. I really appreciate your opinion Solaris.

Thanks again! :)

In my opinion ...

PH25/2H+d is a far more superior layout with less awkward spaces which is evident in PH5/2G+D or PH23/2G+d ($495,000)

PH25/2H+d ($537,000) is the largest unit in the complex

PH5/2G+d ($564,900) has the more interesting view ... southwest towards downtown Toronto

So overall all it is a even toss ... comes down to what is more important for your, the floor plan or the view? For me its the floor plan ~

Interior finishing wise all 3 units are all pretty standard

I think when you visit all 3 units in person you will surely gravitate towards 1 of the units

Thanks Solais. Now, I have a question. The most expensive unit, PH 5, is the only unit that doesn't have laminate flooring in the bedroom, it's carpet. Both the other units have laminate in the bedrooms. I didn't notice this until now, are these upgrades?

Ooo I didn't even realise the other 2 units (PH23 / PH25) have laminate in the bedroom ... but yes that would be an 'upgrade', standard is bedroom carpet like my unit ~

LOL, I find it funny that the most expensive unit is the one without the upgrade.

I also have a question; do you know how big those 3 closets are in penthouse 25 and 23 in the master bedroom? I'm not sure if I would prefer those or a walk in closet.

I don't know for CERTAIN since I have not seen the unit in person, but based on scaling off the plan above, I estimate that each of the 3 closets in the 2G+d master bedroom should be 5'0" wide each

Back