Solaris Condos (Tridel) - Real Estate -

i find the fire alarms obnoxiously loud and beyond annoying.

understand that a lot of condos have something in their unit that allows them to turn off the alarm from inside, why don't we have that?

Although it is common to have this in 'most' new condos, I can tell you Centro is not the only one without the 'fire alarm in-suite mute botton', because I discovered at Solaris too Tridel's construction team decided to cheap out and eliminate this as well, which is super annoying to not have this with the FREQUENT false fire alarms that we are getting

One bedroom and one bath spectacular apartment brickell bay countertops or granite kitchen and balcony and cabinets and beautiful landscapes. The seller of the buyer's title company in charge of the seller.

Although it is common to have this in 'most' new condos, I can tell you Centro is not the only one without the 'fire alarm in-suite mute botton', because I discovered at Solaris too Tridel's construction team decided to cheap out and eliminate this as well, which is super annoying to not have this with the FREQUENT false fire alarms that we are getting

is there volume control, it gets a little loud for my ears

Last edited:

Mute buttons or even a volume adjuster is useful, and It's quite true, that those are getting eliminated these days. One comment I got was it is due to safety reasons that mute button option is take out, which I think is false.

Hey Wang - not quite sure how does this relate to real estate in general, unless i misunderstood you and you meant real estate prices in the surrounding areas / scarborough ?

This happened literally in Solaris. Solaris is located on village green square. And Solaris is not even a year old yet. I don't see prices going up if the buildings aren't desirable due to crime.

Solaris, I have a question for you. You seem to know a lot about these towers, so I think I can ask you this. I currently live in Centro close to STC, and I'm thinking of buying one of the penthouses in solaris 1. Do you think it's worth it to pay a premium price for this area and building? How do you feel solaris 1+2 compare to centro? Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

I wish it was like that! I have a 1,019 square foot 2 bedroom unit on the 31st floor of Centro with an amazing south-west view. I bought it for $366,000. I believe the equivalent in solaris would be a 903 square foot 2+1 unit. There is one for sale, and it's on the 12th floor. It is going for $372,000! The penthouses that I'm looking at are all over $500,000. Are they really worth that much? I know it's tridel, and it's going to be a nice community, but at the end of the day it's still Scarborough.

chazed,

As much as I've a owner/resident in Solaris ... I wouldn't pay more than $400,000 for any unit in Solaris

Don't take me wrong, I love the unit finishes and my layout and the east exposure not blocked by anything, but there are problems such as:
  • super high proportion of rental units (near 50%) although this is not close to transit = transient population = high turnover
  • high rental = high damage in common areas, Tridel was so smart to put in WHITE furniture throughout lobby and party roomand in less than 1 year common areas are already less than decent looking (certainly stained to say the least)
  • weak condo board that decides to not do anything to keep up the common areas / lobby for costs reasons (ie: even lobby lights are turned off), therefore interior aesthetics are disspointing which will affect property value
  • weak security team that does not enforce illegal parking nor patrols the site properly and seems to care less, I once was asked by a guard "why do you care so much anyways?"
  • property management that does not up keep the property, ie: dying trees in front courtyard, dead landscape throughout outdoor terraces
  • in my experience, Solaris is definitely one of the MOST value-engineered (cheapened) building that Tridel has done to date therefore common areas are sub-par for a Tridel condo
  • the location/area is not all that desirable given proximity to the major rental cluster SW of Kennedy/401 (Antrim Cres.) which has a pattern of police incidents

Solaris resale prices continue to be deflated for the fact it is in Scarborough ... since I've acquired the property in 2007, the property value only increased a mere 12% (while the rest of GTA real estate market has skyrocketed) ... the low resale value after Solaris registered was a suprise to me personally and to Tridel sales staff (off the record), which has directly impacted sales of the Avani building ... why would anyone pay high PSF prices for a unit in Avani when a new building in the same community with comparable finishes like Solaris be underperforming? It sure would be interesting to see how resale prices turn out when Ventus comes onto the resale market, though I doubt it will be any better.

In terms of Penthouses @ Solaris 1 or Solaris 2 ... I think it would be a bad idea to purchase because the uplift potential is low (the rest of the complex is not high-end?) ... even though the PH units are large being 1,000 ft2 +, the finishing is not any nicer than typical units below and it has the same 8 foot ceilings (except for 9 foot on 40th floor)

wang888 ... to my understanding, as terrible as Solaris is :(, the PSF value is still higher than any of the condos at Scarborough Town Centre including Centro

I spend quite some time in the building and I don't think the building is cheaper than any of the other condos being built today. In fact, I actually like Solaris quite a bit and I think the common areas are much nicer than many buildings around town. The gym is amazing.

As far as the high rental rate. The building's fairly new. This is very typical of new buildings. Eventually it will become more of an end user building. The board may be crap, but they can be voted out.

My issues:
getting out of the parking garage can be very frustrating. It's hard to explain but why Tridel put the entrance/exit where they did is beyond me.

There are a lot of families...so that means a lot of kids...and a lot of noise.

The pool/jacuzzi area makes no sense.

I don't think the building is going to make you any money since it's in Scarborough. BUt it is right of the 401 which is a good selling feature. I wouldn't overpay for anything especially there.

Back