Solaris Condos (Tridel) - Real Estate -

Does anyone have issues with the parking lot? Especially when you encounter a car at the RAMP?

I've notice the drive aisles are quite narrow (just fits 2 cars parallel) ... therefore whenever you turn a corner and meet another car, someone has to yield and always stay well back from the corner in order for the other car to make the turn ~ poorly designed and unfunctional in my opinion in an effort just to save space at all cost

I've notice the drive aisles are quite narrow (just fits 2 cars parallel) ... therefore whenever you turn a corner and meet another car, someone has to yield and always stay well back from the corner in order for the other car to make the turn ~ poorly designed and unfunctional in my opinion in an effort just to save space at all cost

Im afraid that when the two buildings gets filled, its going to get terrible in the garage

I was visiting my friends units and after reading this thread I checked out the pool. It really does look like a bowling lane.

The ramp that goes around the back has a crazy blindspot when you turn the corner. I'm surprised there is no mirror up already.

Also I remember in the original master plan, Agincourt Go station was going to be moved south of Sheppard and behind Ventus. Now seeing the lot in person, there doesn't seem to be any room especially for parking.

Why bother even putting a retail space in Solaris. I know it may end up being the only convenience store in the area, but they will be at the mercy of the residents.

Yah the sink and toilet are pretty low, but u get used to it eventually..
One of the things i like is that pool is lengthy enough for a meaningful swim, plus its 2.0 meter deep so you wont have kids filling up the pool lol

sounds like Tridel cheaped out and used old-style vanities and toilets.

the newer vanities and toilets are 'comfort-height' which are 3-4 inches higher than the older type, resulting easier access and less discomfort.

I was visiting my friends units and after reading this thread I checked out the pool. It really does look like a bowling lane.

The ramp that goes around the back has a crazy blindspot when you turn the corner. I'm surprised there is no mirror up already.

Also I remember in the original master plan, Agincourt Go station was going to be moved south of Sheppard and behind Ventus. Now seeing the lot in person, there doesn't seem to be any room especially for parking.

Why bother even putting a retail space in Solaris. I know it may end up being the only convenience store in the area, but they will be at the mercy of the residents.

Good observations EXgeMMy ... definitely agree that Tridel downsized the pool quite significantly (they may as well replace it with a pair of bowling lane) ... did you see that joke of a hot tub (for 4) ??

Indeed that ramp that leading to the back (south) side P1 level garage entrance is very dangerous, I don't understand why Tridel built such high side walls along the ramp blocking all sightlines AND without mirrors, I can imagine many cars bodies will be scratched by these high side walls

On the 'original' Metrogate master plan, Tridel accomodated for the 'future TTC and GO station' terminal in the block north of Ventus, but until TTC decides on the future of the Sheppard LRT or subway extension, that is very much in the air. If TTC does go with the Sheppard subway plan, I would imagine the GO station will also be relocated and consolidated for better transfers between the 2 systems, however I expect there to be no on site parking to be available though

The retail unit space is very limited in Solaris, and yes you are correct it will only serve a very localized population, but when the 2 Solaris tower, 2 Ventus towers, 2 Avani(?) towers, and the townhouses are all occupied, there will be in excess of 2,100 residential units so hopefully whatever retail operator there is will survive

I understand that the bathroom counter sinks are abnormally low (something like 28 inches whereas 32 inches is normal), did you or others find that to be problem?
Yah the sink and toilet are pretty low, but u get used to it eventually..
One of the things i like is that pool is lengthy enough for a meaningful swim, plus its 2.0 meter deep so you wont have kids filling up the pool lol

sounds like Tridel cheaped out and used old-style vanities and toilets.

the newer vanities and toilets are 'comfort-height' which are 3-4 inches higher than the older type, resulting easier access and less discomfort.

Tridel definitely 'value engineered' the bathroom vanities (and probably the toilets too) in my opinion .... seriously I have not seen any condos with 28" high bathroom counter pairs with drop-in sinks which make it even lower, and I've seen MANY condos over the years ... normally one would see these lower profile bathroom vanity paired with a vessle sink (which would bring to wash basin up to a usable height) :mad:

... did you see that joke of a hot tub (for 4) ??

I saw a single person in there when I was walking by and honestly with the size of it, I would not feel comfortable in there with a single stranger. If it was myself and 3 friends sure, but with strangers it's a bit close for comfort for me.

On the 'original' Metrogate master plan, Tridel accomodated for the 'future TTC and GO station' terminal in the block north of Ventus, but until TTC decides on the future of the Sheppard LRT or subway extension, that is very much in the air. If TTC does go with the Sheppard subway plan, I would imagine the GO station will also be relocated and consolidated for better transfers between the 2 systems, however I expect there to be no on site parking to be available though

I was looking from the 31st floor, and to me there is not enough room for a go train station. Then again they don't need much platform space. If the goal is to integrate the Go train with the proposed LRT/Subway I still don't see how this works.

Riders would have to cut through collingwood park as well as go through the apartments. Unless they built an underground passage which would have to be deep enough to go under the rain overflow I just don't see the go train moving

Here's an overhead of the area.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=kenned...,-97.15369&sspn=41.941194,114.169922&t=h&z=17

All I'm getting at is I hate it when developers add in these projects around masters plans that haven't actually been approved. #1 Suspect being West Harbour City who kept the future Loblaws in their master plan at the old food bank. How many years later and no one knows for sure if it will still be built.

My one other observation of Solaris, which may just be in my mind but the ceilings seem low. Then again in the showroom there was no ceiling period which made the units look bigger. My friends unit is the 2bedroom SE facing unit and the 2nd bedroom is tiny.

Other observations I had but may actually have an answer since I am not a resident. How do you change the channels on the tv's in the exercise room? Is it not odd 2 treadmills are already out of order? I wonder how long it'll be before weights start going missing.

Last edited:
why the hell is there fire alarms almost every morning!?! ITS SO ANNOYING

growing pains ....

My one other observation of Solaris, which may just be in my mind but the ceilings seem low. Then again in the showroom there was no ceiling period which made the units look bigger. My friends unit is the 2bedroom SE facing unit and the 2nd bedroom is tiny.

Solaris was always intended to have only 8' ceilings, but Tridel was being sneaky in the original model suite (in the sales pavillion) and didn't show a finished ceiling and just left it open for better 'optics' (together with glass partitions in lieu of walls :rolleyes:)

You mentioned your friend's 2-bedroom unit being on the southeast corner, but from my understanding the southeast corner is the 3-bedroom 3A suite, which does in fact have a ridiculously small 3rd bedroom (10' x 9'3" VERY irregular shaped), could the floorplan below be the unit you are thinking of ?? (suite #s end in xx03 or xx17)

3a_floor.gif
3a_key.gif

Frankly I'm suprised Tridel would even call this a 3 bedroom suite considering the 3rd bedroom can realistically nothing more than a typical den (desk, bookshelf, storage bench) ... see Tridel's model suite for yourself ... keeping in mind this is already 'professional photography' by Tridel

bedroom3_450.jpg

Solaris was always intended to have only 8' ceilings, but Tridel was being sneaky in the original model suite (in the sales pavillion) and didn't show a finished ceiling and just left it open for better 'optics' (together with glass partitions in lieu of walls :rolleyes:)

You mentioned your friend's 2-bedroom unit being on the southeast corner, but from my understanding the southeast corner is the 3-bedroom 3A suite, which does in fact have a ridiculously small 3rd bedroom (10' x 9'3" VERY irregular shaped), could the floorplan below be the unit you are thinking of ?? (suite #s end in xx03 or xx17)

My comments about the ceiling are just my personal observation, as soon as I walked in, it was one of the things I noticed. Other thing I noticed is the space between the stove and cabinets/bar behind it seem an inch or 2 shorter than most condo's I've been in. Again this could simply be my eyes playing tricks on me. I doubt this is intentional as there seems to be more than enough living space.

My friend purchased a 2A unit, so it has a SE view as opposed to being the physical SE unit.

I should mention what I do like about Solaris, the paint / carpet in the halls have a nice balance. The tiles in the units seem to be nice (I don't know what was is/was standard)

i see ... well the 2A suite is basically same as the model suite in the sales pavillion .... basically there is 3 of these suites per floor, think of the view as ENE (xx11/xx25), WSW (xx05/xx19), WNW (xx08/xx22) ... if you look East-Northeast from Solaris 1 you are bascially looking right into the Solaris 2 tower ... here's the floorplate to help better understand the directions:

2a_key.gif

I say SE view as I was looking that direction from his Balcony. But yes based on the plate I guess technically his view is NE right into the other tower.

2A is indeed the model they have in the showroom, I believe in the model suite they used the 2nd room as an office. Where the closet is they put a desk.

There is now a separate thread for Ventus & Townhomes @ Metrogate. It's here. Thanks!

Questions for TridelWebmaster ... not sure if you could find answers on these ? :)

What's with that rusty pipe on the ground level?
IMG_5373.jpg

What happened at the top of Solaris 1 (left) ? Seems patchy paint or stains mechanical penthouse east elevation ~
BEFORE
IMG_5375.jpg

AFTER
IMG_1174.jpg

Back