News   May 07, 2024
 196     1 
News   May 07, 2024
 736     3 

So its not going to work...

Brandon716

Member Bio
Reaction score
Guys, its a bit funny to me at this point, but I won't be coming up to Toronto afterall this summer. Immigration worked, I have a study permit, but my financial aid has fallen through. I'm ineligible for any Canadian based aid, but my US aid was supposed to come through.

Talk about a bizzaire roller coaster. Eh, whatever.

Crazy, huh?

Wow that sucks...
Anyway to beg, borrow or steal your way in?
Will your status remain approved until your financial situation improves to the point that you can make it happen or will you have to jump through all the hoops all over again?

don't give up on the dream...

Eh, I figure things will work when they are meant to work. This time it wasn't immigration, it was just the US based financial aid. Maybe a study permit isn't the right way, I mean its awfully expensive anyway and you have to have a serious load of cash to do it.

As far as a long term goal, I don't think I can give up, but I've come to the realization that moving to Canada isn't definite. Its a possibility, but it will have to come one of two ways for me going forward: find someone to marry (unlikely as I'd want it to be real, but its plausible) or find an employer willing to sponsor a permanent application. I'm not willing to do these 'maybes' or go into huge debt for a study plan that doesn't guarantee things again. I'm 27 and not getting any younger, and my days of taking risks are getting numbered.

Doesn't mean I don't value the Canadian system greatly, but I've tried the best I know how with the means I have.

Besides, being in the US here in Pittsburgh is a good thing. Its truly a great place to be, I can't say its a bad thing to be staying here.

Pittsburgh: The next best place for you?

Brandon: It seems that you are caught in a "Catch-22" situation concerning your finances to enter Canada but I have noticed that you like Pittsburgh also.
Is it the best second place for you behind Toronto?

I have been out there myself and it can be a very interesting city to explore and the mountains surrounding it only make it more of an attractive area.

Pittsburgh has plenty of decent things going for it-like as a good example loyal pro sports fans following the Steelers,Penguins and Pirates(in that order)
and many other local cultural facilities of many types.

This is an interesting decision to make-stay in PGH or try for Toronto in the near future...Thoughts by LI MIKE

I'm 27 and not getting any younger, and my days of taking risks are getting numbered.

I was 27, finally landed the job I worked 5 years to get... was doing great financially, living downtown TO.. and I packed it all up to come to Korea and teach a bunch of kindergarten children english for a lot less money.

I don't regret it for a single second, 27 is quite young for the world we're in today... just don't give up. There is no magical age the window of opportunity will close.

^Yeah, exactly. One can live their live however they choose at any age.

Aww that sucks Brandon.

But don't give up! There's a lot of ways into this country. I think it's a lot easier to get a work visa to live in Canada then for us to go to the US. Just need a job to sponsor you! And then when you are here, you can meet some nice Canadian girls =)

Back