News   Jul 12, 2024
 953     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 338     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

k10ery, I'm going to move on since the Admin is asking all of us to tone it down. (I spent 2 hours doing research, and don't think it warrants spending further time that may result in further argument, unless I get a genuine non-sarcastic compliment for me acknowledging you might be right about the amortization).

nfitz said:
At the same time I'm pondering grabbing one of those $60 GO stickers next month
Conversely, I'd love a discounted TTC Metropass for being a daily Aldershot commuter (~$400/month). That would be more popular than these stickers. Within 12 months, work may be relocating from core to Bloor, which will lengthen my commute a bit :| though fortunately, commuting time may go down with slightly increased telecommute time as compensation. Knock on wood.

Hopefully within a few years, Metropasses get replaced with Presto passes, and if Presto fare integration allows discounted metropasses for frequent GO commuters (through some future Metrolinx-TTC inter-agency compensation initiative, if politically encouraged to do so). If SmartTrack elements comes to frutition (even without Eglinton spur), GO RER Kitchener-Stoufville would end up having TTC fare.

Last edited:
Interestingly, in the budget, the Eglinton West Extension and the SmartTrack Stations are grouped into two distinct projects. I wonder if that's foreshadowing what we all hope will be the case (i.e. LRT over heavy rail).
chart1-9.jpg

I think the most important part of that picture is that those projects are grey. Queens park isn't paying for them. If Smart Track is going to cost Toronto $5.2 Billion, how is it going to pay for it? Can Tory get Federal money?

Given that there is also that yonge relief study, which i'm predicting will recommend the down town relief line, there is no chance both projects will happen.

Attachments

• chart1-9.jpg
    chart1-9.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 956
I think the most important part of that picture is that those projects are grey. Queens park isn't paying for them. If Smart Track is going to cost Toronto $5.2 Billion, how is it going to pay for it? Can Tory get Federal money?
Correction. Queen Park is paying for electricification of the SmartTrack corridors. That's their third.

SmartTrack $8bn estimate by Tory, proposed as being a split of one-third between municipal/provincial/federal during Tory's election.

Provincial, ~$2.6bn: Electricification and related infrastructure (GO RER)
Muncipal, ~$2.6bn: SmartTrack extras: Eglinton spur & extra infill stations & TTC fare
Federal, ~$2.6bn: SmartTrack extras: Eglinton spur & extra infill stations & TTC fare

2.6bn + 2.6bn + 2.6bn = 8 billion total SmartTrack estimate, by Tory
2.6bn + 2.6bn = 5.2 billion for municipal+federal share ("New Partners"), in Ontario budget.
2.6bn = Ontario commitment to SmartTrack via Kitchener/Stoufville electricification.

Ontario actually creatively sorted the SmartTrack budget so they actually commit to what they're already paying for anyway with GO RER sans SmartTrack enhancements, pushing the SmartTrack "enhancements" (Eglinton, extra infill stations, TTC fare, etc) into the municipal/federal responsibility. the 5.2 billion, as shown in this diagram. Province pays for what they were going to do anyway for GO RER SmartTrack, they're just not going to pay for the SmartTrack-specific extras on top of GO RER.

As you can see, Ontario budget funds its share of SmartTrack by virtue of corridor electricification cost...

I am not surprised it will cost a majority of the 5.2 billion for the Eglinton Spur, because it's going to be an expensive megaproject much like constructing a subway. It really needs to be chopped, like Scarborough Subway, and send SmartTrack to Brampton instead, while building ECLRT through the Airport Corporate centre and connect to Hurontario LRT/Square One. The total of that would cost far less than 5.2 billion -- the cost savings of ECLRT extension would more than pay for diverting SmartTrack to Brampton or Bramalea.

SmartTrack is just an "enhanced" GO RER with a new Eglinton spur (wild guesstimate ~3-4bn) & infill stations (wild guesstimate ~$1-2bn). Eglinton is looking more and more painfully expensive. That is why a lot of people think the Eglinton spur is an inefficient use of money, although it is, on the other hand, an opportunity to create a brand new Metrolinx GO corridor across the middle of Mississauga (theoretically extendable to Square One in a future decade) as insurance against Milton corridor non-ownership. You could run SmartTrack trains to Mt Dennis, and then send every other train down Eglinton, versus down to Bramalea, using the very same electricified trains, servicing both Eglinton and Bramalea (SmartTrack being same as GO RER). But really, Tory could spend just $1bn-2bn for the infill stations and TTC fare instead, and save about $4bn by killing the SmartTrack Eglinton spur, send the SmartTrack trains only to Bramalea instead (existing initial GO RER terminus).

As you can see, Eglinton spur, alone, is a big cost of SmartTrack, and contigent on "New Partners" (city/fed) funding.

Last edited:
There is no Federal funds, maybe they will come, maybe they wont.

I think all those extra stations will cost about the same as the spur on Eglinton. You are also forgetting fleet costs, GO my be going electric but the coaches are staying the same other wise why did they buy 50 new cab end coaches?

I think all those extra stations will cost about the same as the spur on Eglinton. You are also forgetting fleet costs,
They're the same fleet. What's the cost difference between 15-minute GO RER vehicles and 15-minute SmartTrack vehicles? Many of them are both going to be EMUs. EMUs are faster accelerating, and makes 15-minute service easier to achieve, with shorter subway-style dwell and acceleration G-forces similarly as strong as braking G-forces, much like the TTC subway.

GO my be going electric but the coaches are staying the same other wise why did they buy 50 new cab end coaches?
They need all of them AND new electric MMU trains. GO is going from 1500 trips per week to 6000 trips per week.

Did you see Metrolinx is now shopping for electric bilevel trains?
- http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...0140626_BoardMtg_Regional_Express_Rail_EN.pdf
- http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIE...ORT=0&IS_SME=N&hcode=bCigPTEREOxmKEeaYLXY6w==

Metrolinx shopping for electric trains said:
RFI-2014-RFF-009: Supply Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives And Dual Mode Locomotives

Request for Information No. RFI-2014-RFF-009

To supply Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives and Dual Mode Locomotives for Metrolinx GO Transit Fleet.

Metrolinx is issuing this Request for Information in order to gain a further understanding of the possibility of providing Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives and Dual Mode Locomotives for Metrolinx GO Transit Fleet.

Request enquiries and other communications are to be directed to Kim Stuart at (416) 202-5565, or e-mail kim.stuart@metrolinx.com.

Vendor’s who are interested and consider themselves qualified to provide the types of rail equipment described herein, may submit a Response to the Request for Information to the attention of Kim Stuart, Contract Tendering Officer, Procurement and Contract Services, by no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, March 6, 2015 via e-mail to kim.stuart@metrolinx.com, quoting “Procurement of Electric Multiple Units, Electric Locomotives and Dual Mode Locomotives for Metrolinx GO Transit Fleet” in the subject line of the e-mail.

Metrolinx reserves the right to reject any or all submissions at its sole discretion.
They will be running both the diesels and electrics, with a roughly doubled fleet size by 2031, and that's why they're also resignalling the USRC and possibly planning to do the double-berths east of York (Metrolinx 2031), as well as opening all the platforms (and the new Platform 26/27 that opened so they can shut down a few tracks during revitalization). With all tracks opened and the doubleberths, and VIA berth sharing, the number of GO berths will almost double between yesterday and 2031, and the dwell time will also be shorter. They're REALLY going to push a LOT more trains through Unions in the next 20 years...

I think all those extra stations will cost about the same as the spur on Eglinton. You are also forgetting fleet costs, GO my be going electric but the coaches are staying the same other wise why did they buy 50 new cab end coaches?
We all know at this point the the Fed's are likely going to balk at that cost and say that they are already contributing with their new "dedicated transit funds" which is a pathetic contribution. Tory was clapping and jumping for joy, but he has either gone delusional or grossly misunderstands how the Feds are going to split the Funds. In reality Toronto will likely see $300-$400 million and the Feds will use it as an excuse to get around the 1/3 of overall contribution.

The Province made their investment into electrification because they were going to do it regardless (even if SmartTrack was not planned). So in reality $0 dollars has been contributed to SmartTrack but of course Tory will spin it to make it seem like the province invested into his plan.

They're the same fleet. What's the cost difference between 15-minute GO RER vehicles and 15-minute SmartTrack vehicles? Many of them are both going to be EMUs. EMUs are faster accelerating, and makes 15-minute service easier to achieve, with shorter subway-style dwell and acceleration G-forces similarly as strong as braking G-forces, much like the TTC subway.

TypeCost EachSeatsSource
Bombardier BiLevel CoachCAN$3,435,714
136 to 162
CBC article
Electric Locomotive ALP-46CAD$9,752,457.58
noneWikipedia
Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMUCAD$5,071,303.79
metrolinx payed for DMU

I can't find any EMUs that are FRA compliant so i'm using the Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMU. I do not know if the EMU would be cheaper or more expensive than the DMU version. I have no idea how long these trains would be so i used 8 cars as an example. The other problem is the Nippon Sharyo DMU isn't low floor.

1 ALP-46 + 8 Bombardier BiLevel Coach = CAD$37,238,169.58
8 cars x 136 seats = 1,088

8 Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMU = CAD$40,570,430.32
8 cars x 79 seats = 632

GO is going from 1500 trips per week to 6000 trips per week.

GO transit has 77 locomotives, a planned growth to 750 bi-level coaches. So lets say they can use 70 locomotives on any given day.
1,500 per week / 70 = 21.4 trips each locomotive a week. (21.4 / 7 days = 3 trips a day.)
6,000 per week / 21.4 = 280 locomotives.
So obviously they can use their existing feet more efficiently than they are currently. How much more efficiently, i don't know, i'm not familiar with GO operations. If you could figure out how many locomotives it takes the run the lakeshore lines then i think you'll have a good idea how many it will take to run the other lines.

They are asking for information and if the prices are anything like my table before, they will abandon EMUs.

They will be running both the diesels and electrics, with a roughly doubled fleet size by 2031,
I don't think we can say that they will need to double their feet size, i agree they will need to buy more but how much more? My guess is about 30 more locomotives so bring their feet size to about 107.

We all know at this point the the Fed's are likely going to balk at that cost and say that they are already contributing with their new "dedicated transit funds" which is a pathetic contribution. Tory was clapping and jumping for joy, but he has either gone delusional or grossly misunderstands how the Feds are going to split the Funds. In reality Toronto will likely see $300-$400 million and the Feds will use it as an excuse to get around the 1/3 of overall contribution.

I agree with you, I don't think the Federal government has ever given $2.6 Billion to a transit project before so its unlikely they will now. So if we assume $2.6Billion from the province + $500 Million for the federal government = $3.1 Billion. $8Billion - $3.1Billion = $4.9 Billion to go.

I don't remember if this has been posted before but here is pdf of a cost estimate for smart track.

After looking at that, if we assume $1.5 Billion to build the Eglinton part, $4.9 - $1.5 = $3.4Billion still to go. I think at least 6 or 8 stations will also have to be dropped as a cost cutting measure. I'll assume 8 stations cut to save $500 million. So now its down to $2.9Billion city cost.

Once the smart track and the DLR studies are done, i hope someone does a study to see what one gives the most relief to the yonge line per city dollar spent.

TypeCost EachSeatsSource
Bombardier BiLevel CoachCAN$3,435,714
136 to 162
CBC article
Electric Locomotive ALP-46CAD$9,752,457.58
noneWikipedia
Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMUCAD$5,071,303.79
metrolinx payed for DMU

I can't find any EMUs that are FRA compliant so i'm using the Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMU. I do not know if the EMU would be cheaper or more expensive than the DMU version. I have no idea how long these trains would be so i used 8 cars as an example. The other problem is the Nippon Sharyo DMU isn't low floor.
Consider the possibility of the Great Platform height Debate, as well as the Bombardier MultiLevel option (not an EMU, not one I would recommend for GO due to narrow doors, but as an example of a bilevel coach that supports both platform heights).

Although it is unlikely GO will convert to high platforms, consider the Kitchener line is both the UPX route and the future high speed train route. Many high speed trains require boarding higher platform than current platform height (varying platform heights). And high-station-density routes like SmartTrack (on Kitchener, too) might end up using high platforms for the easier short dwell/quick boarding ability. High-frequency 150-meter-long trainsets can move more people than the Lakeshore West 30-min all day service, by the sheer extra frequency of single-levels. Some GO RER routes may use single-level trains, and then use extra train frequency to compensate. The longer-haul/express trains would remain today's Bombardier BiLevels, probably to the 2030s or 2040s as they are really durable coaches and very dependable commuter bilevels.

By using a phased approach to high platforms on carefully selected routes, contingent on funding, it may make a lot of sense, depending on whether purchasing cheaper single-level shorter-length EMUs (by using frequency to compensate & using bilevels for the outer stations during peak, having them go express past the high level stations), save enough money to pay for conversion of several stations. There are possible service plans on certain routes (e.g. Kitchener) that can warrant conversion to high platforms.

I agree with you, I don't think the Federal government has ever given $2.6 Billion to a transit project before so its unlikely they will now. So if we assume $2.6Billion from the province + $500 Million for the federal government = $3.1 Billion. $8Billion - $3.1Billion = $4.9 Billion to go.
Minus the 2.6 billion de-facto pre-existing commitment by the province.

Even in your PDF, there's "Retrofit Existing GO Line Tracks" ($500m), "Utility Upgrades" ($1bn), "Operating Systems" ($250m), in addition to catenary ($265m) and a few other tasks that electrifation will require, so all of this easily total to roughly the $2-$3bn range. So when I earlier say "electrification" for 2.6bn, I also include these line-items. Utility upgrades are needed for electrifation! So electrifation-related expenses (other than catenary) is over 2 billon! These expenses were going to be incurred anyway for GO RER, so the province has already de-facto budgeted for their $2.6bn share. That leaves $5.2bn for both federal and municipal to solve.

But the new federal transit funding might actually be the elephant in the room; over a 7 year plan, that's $320M per year which is feasible on a $1bn/year annual Canada-wide transit budget. Some creative negotiations between Tory and federal may actually end up causing it to be funded (but with a delayed completition date). I hope Eglinton spur gets chopped, but don't underestimate Tory's flexibility -- the new Harper transit plan may have actually been some backroom talk with Tory. Hopefully saner minds will prevail once the Eglinton spur study gets released, and shown how expensive that is, and how it is better sense to send SmartTrack down to Bramalea/Brampton, and send ECLRT down the spur instead.

What may affect the budget more, is choice of trainset (light rail, heavy rail, single level, bilevel, low platform, high platform), as that affects various budget elements (vehicle and station expense). I expect them to choose heavy rail vehicles for SmartTrack (and the province may very well cover that premium), as light rail vehicles aren't an efficient use of the GO corridor, as SmartTrack will essentially de-facto operate as the GO RER service. I would expect vehicle length to be more like 150 meter; longer than most light rail vehicles, and shorter than a GO train, since it moves a lot of people by virtue of frequent service (15min and better), and the large GO trains can be used as supplement during peak periods too (if the stations aren't converted to high platforms).

Consider that TTC and their single level trains move more people down the line than the GO Lakeshore West peak trains; so sheer frequency can compensate for lack of bilevels which was originally invented because GO was train-trip limited in the era when they did not own the GO network. They needed to pack more people in fewer trian trips. This is no longer true for GO RER, and Metrolinx is working to improve headways. In France, they have reduced headways between commuter bilevel trains to as little as about 3 minutes (subway style). Union is a big bottleneck, but a lot of upgrades are occuring (e.g. USRC resignalling, new train traffic control centre, the feasibility study on positive train control, etc). Over time, this may make it easier to tighten headways to near-subway frequencies on two through routes (e.g. Lakeshore East/West and Kitchener-Stoufville). Running four electrified GO RER routes is, in theory, kind of like running two subway lines through Union, with Union being a middle/central stop. This is a challenge on USRC, but with full and complete grade separation on all GO RER routes (Lakeshore West doesn't even yet have full grade separation), headways of 5-minutes or less are achievable for each of the two GO RER routes (Lakeshore West, today, manage 7.5 minute headways during 4:45 to 5:45 with eight trains in one hour, but that's partially because different tracks are used for different trains). I do not think we will achieve 3 minute headways except as interpersing of multiple GO lines until they fork off, but we can certainly decrease headways in general over the next 10-20 years. In addition to the suggestive stuff in the PDFs, I can say this for almost certain: In 20-25 years from now, the GO network will no longer be 100% bilevel. The big question is then, will this happen in the 10-year plan (initial GO RER plan)? I can't say for certain, but there's odds.

Lots of elements are up in the air for SmartTrack. What might survive is a compromise of downgraded SmartTrack elements (chopped Eglinton spur) and kept elements (extra infill stations, fast-accelerating EMUs). I predict train length will be shorter than a standard GO train for the EMU trainsets, and at least one GO route may end up using single-level EMUs. There are also a choice of single-level low-floor EMUs to take over from lack of bi-level low-floor EMUs, too. 150-meter infill stations are much cheaper than 300-meter infill stations. You can still push something like 1000-1500 people via 150 meter platforms (depending on whether you use single level or bilevel EMUs) still quite plenty when we're running a bona-fide near-subway-frequency surface subway, with 15-min offpeak and 7.5min peak service, and the sheer extra EMU train frequency and short dwell times, compensates for not using bilevels on the baseline urban GO RER segments. Especially if the distant stations are serviced by the current bilevels that go express past GO RER stations, which simpifies service planning (the "Express" in "Regional Express Rail"). France does something similar for their RER commuter train system (they use the same acronym, some routes use bilevels, some routes use single level, and Metrolinx is inspired by them). Freed from servicing bilevels, the platform length, and potentially even platform height, is limited to GO RER trainsets. Even if they used low platforms, they could still use shorter platforms -- the 12-car GOtrains are capable of opening only certain coach doors to service shorter platforms in an emergency or longer trains used in peak-period overflow service. This is also done in certain cities. And also, the choice of building more 300-meter low platforms, versus building 150-meter high-platforms, can take some of the sting out of high-platform cost with the cost of shorter platforms, too, considering this being the UPX / future HSR route. I'm not saying it will or will not happen, but this is the Kitchener route, after all...

So that's the big picture.

Last edited:
So obviously they can use their existing feet more efficiently than they are currently. How much more efficiently, i don't know, i'm not familiar with GO operations. If you could figure out how many locomotives it takes the run the lakeshore lines then i think you'll have a good idea how many it will take to run the other lines.

I don't know the statistics either....but a non-precise answer seems to be.....there is enough rolling stock parked in the Don and Bathurst yards every weekday to achieve 2WAD service on the Lakeshore Line on 15-minute headways, in place of the current 30 mins. I believe the 30-minute headways require about 10 trainsets?

If you consider the number that deadhead to Willowbrook after the morning rush hour, I would venture a guess that Bramalea-Unionville on 30 min headways is easily accommodated with the existing fleet. Maybe even 15 minute headways.

If you assume that some of these 12-car trains could be split for daytime service and reassembled for the afternoon peak, the ability to spread the existing fleet across the enhanced service becomes huge.

So, one should not assume that any significant procurement (other than electric locomotives, or dual mode locos) is required to begin the GO RER service. One big unknown is what the life cycle of the bilevel fleet will be...some of those cars are already 35 years old.

I like the idea of a carefully staged move to high level platforms, for RER and Smarttrack. That does open up some opportunities to revisit the general car design.

- Paul

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but could current GO trains be made to fit higher platforms? I mean if you look at the door way of a GO train right now, there's a step to walk in, what if they put a little booster on it, then it can line up with a theoretical high platform.

Though I think we'd likely still need new trains or a substantive remodeling for Smartrack or RER, two sets of doors on each side simply isn't sufficient for a service like that.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but could current GO trains be made to fit higher platforms? I mean if you look at the door way of a GO train right now, there's a step to walk in, what if they put a little booster on it, then it can line up with a theoretical high platform.

Though I think we'd likely still need new trains or a substantive remodeling for Smartrack or RER, two sets of doors on each side simply isn't sufficient for a service like that.

Usually with high level platforms, the doors in these bilevel cars would be at that awkward mid-level. The lower floor would have no doors.

Usually with high level platforms, the doors in these bilevel cars would be at that awkward mid-level. The lower floor would have no doors.

I don't have a tape measure handy, nor do I have technical documents to refer to....but I'd be pretty sure it is doable. Other bilevel designs have this capability, and I would bet that BBD or UTDC considered this as a potential selling point for other operators at some point.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=528423&nseq=3

Loading on the mid level is not inherently easier or worse than loading on the existing design. It's not that quick to entrain up the stairs from the lower level, especially if tardy detrainees are dashing downwards.

- Paul

Ah, I was referring to the lower floor doors on the current GO trains, I mean they are maybe like what, 2 feet above the ground? I mean if the current doors were level with a raised platform. I guess it might not be the high platform height like a TTC subway, but it may be a decent compromise for RER integration.

Bombardier BiLevels are about 25 inches above the top of the rail. This is mid-level, rather than low platform or high platform. CalTrain is discussing this during their platform height migration brainstorming.

Source:
http://caltrain-hsr.blogspot.ca/2014/07/the-path-to-level-boarding.html
attachment.php

For more fun images like these, please see The Great Platform Height Debate thread.

The floor height standards vary quite a lot (25", 30", 48") with higher platforms, so a floor height standardization is possibly needed amongst UPX, HSR, and GO RER, since it may not be practical (on the Kitchener route, at least) to permanently stay low platform. It would be quite costly to change the height of platforms, but platform conversion cost might be offset by more inexpensive EMU trainsets & shorter platform lengths (150 meter) made possible by simple sheer frequency of GO RER.

After all, only one-third of SmartTrack uses existing GOtrain platforms, with most of 22 being new stations, so it's not exactly a multi-billion-dollar platform conversion project -- it's more two-thirds brand new platformmage -- assuming they relegate the older Bombardier coaches to express services (beyond RER endpoints, going express past RER stations), and using RER stations along Kitchener as high platforms. Obviously, one or two platforms will need to be raised at Union, to service these trains. The frequent service (5-min to 15-min frequency) will empty the platform quicker, so platform crowding risk can be lower, especially if they choose one of the wider platforms to do the height conversion on. It is a grand opportunity to decide whether to commit to a gradual, long-term conversion to high platform on the Kitchener route, to save future costs (trainsets, high speed trains, etc).

The rest of the GO network can remain low platform, but the debate could begin to occur with Kitchener (and consequently, Stoufville, due to its being on the 'same line')

Last edited:
High-frequency 150-meter-long trainsets can move more people than the Lakeshore West 30-min all day service, by the sheer extra frequency of single-levels

Ok, lets take a look at the Lakeshore East, morning peek.

I count 13 trains that arrive at Union Station between 6:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.

Oshawa: 05:47, 06:12, 06:27, 06:47, 07:00, 07:15, 07:28, 07:53, 08:25,
Whitby: 07:50
Pickering: 07:23, 07:55, 08:25

Using ALP-46 and Bombardier BiLevel Coachs:
12 coach x 134 seats = 1,608 seats.
12 coach x 25.91 m = 310.92 m + locomotive (19.51 m) = 330.43 m
13 Trains x 1,608 seats = 20,904 seats.

Using Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMU:
13 cars x 79 seats = 1,027 seats
13 cars x 25.91 m = 336.83 m
13 Trains x 1,027 seats = 13,351 seats.

Alright so we can't replace the BiLevel Coachs 1 to 1 so lets do say you say and run 150m trains more often.

Using Nippon Sharyo DMU made into EMU:
6 cars x 79 seats = 474 seats
6 cars x 25.91 m = 155.46 m

26 Trains x 474 seats = 12,324 seats.
20,904 seats - 12,324 seats = 8,580 seats short.

How many 155m trains would GO need then?
8,580 seats / 474 seats = 18 Trains.
26 Trains + 18 Trains = 44 Trains.

You would need 44 Nippon Sharyo EMU (155 m) to equal 13 GO trains (330.43 m).

20,904 seats / 1,027 seats = 20.3 trains
You would need 20.3 Nippon Sharyo EMU (336.83 m) to equal 13 GO trains (330.43 m).

53% more trains per line just to maintain current service.

1 ALP-46 + 12 Bombardier BiLevel Coach = CAD$50,912,457.58
13 Nippon Sharyo EMU = CAD$65,926,949.27

Just thinking about the cost difference, it doesn't make scene to me to buy 336.83 m Nippon Sharyo EMUs. You would spend CAD$15,014,491.69 extra per train and you need MORE of them!

13 GO trains = $661,861,948.54
20 Nippon Sharyo EMU trains = $1,318,538,985.40

Single level emus are dead from a price point of view, i'm sure union station could handle the extra trains due to the lower dwell times of single level trains though.

Minus the 2.6 billion de-facto pre-existing commitment by the province.

That $2.6Billion is included in the $3.1 Billion.

"Retrofit Existing GO Line Tracks" ($500m), "Utility Upgrades" ($1bn), "Operating Systems" ($250m), in addition to catenary ($265m) and a few other tasks that electrifation will require, so all of this easily total to roughly the $2-$3bn range. So when I earlier say "electrification" for 2.6bn, I also include these line-items. Utility upgrades are needed for electrifation! So electrifation-related expenses (other than catenary) is over 2 billon! These expenses were going to be incurred anyway for GO RER, so the province has already de-facto budgeted for their $2.6bn share. That leaves $5.2bn for both federal and municipal to solve.

Well the problem with that cost estimate is that it doesn't break things down very far. For example, the utility upgrades, who knows where most of that cost is. Some of it must come from eglinton part. So we can't say if how much of that is covered by the province doing electrification.

What may affect the budget more, is choice of trainset (light rail, heavy rail, single level, bilevel, low platform, high platform), as that affects various budget elements (vehicle and station expense). I expect them to choose heavy rail vehicles for SmartTrack (and the province may very well cover that premium), as light rail vehicles aren't an efficient use of the GO corridor, as SmartTrack will essentially de-facto operate as the GO RER service. I would expect vehicle length to be more like 150 meter; longer than most light rail vehicles, and shorter than a GO train, since it moves a lot of people by virtue of frequent service (15min and better), and the large GO trains can be used as supplement during peak periods too (if the stations aren't converted to high platforms).

Smart track will have to use Heavy rail, there is no choice. Light rail cannot run on the same tracks as heavy rail. If you look at the SRT you'll see there is a earth berm in between it and the GO Uxbridge Sub. I cannot see space along the Kingston Sub to fit an earth berm and two smart track tracks.

I'm not convinced given the price difference between the different trains that it make scene to run single level EMUs during the day and the normal GO trains during rush hour. As i've show above you'd need so many single level EMUs during rush hour that it would be cheaper just to run the longer normal GO trains during the day time.

Yes i agree with you that Union is a big bottleneck but that will only be solved when either the Lakeshore line run under Union Station.

To me the most likely Smart track plan would be to run it as a separate service, with its own trains and stations, GO trains will stop at the current stations and Smart track trains will stop at the infill stations and the current GO train stations. I'm not sure if there would be enough space everywhere for the extra tracks needed to let GO trains pass the slower Smart track trains. They will be slower because they stop more often.

Finally, there is zero chance GO will switch platform heights, the cost is far to much for to little gain. As i hope i have convinced you, single level trains can't help GO. So if we are stuck using bi-level, they will have longer dwell times due to their nature. Changing the platform heights wont help them unload faster.

Back