News   Mar 28, 2024
 99     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 564     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 358     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

I will ask it a different way....

You want to put a frequent passenger service on a mainline owned by a company that is very much against passenger service on their line?

That same company is adding trackage on the other side of the GTA to do exactly that.

Bolton is certainly achievable provided ML will pay to add track.

- Paul

Should we be worried that Metrolinx no longer has a page up for the St. Clair-Old Weston Smart Track station? I followed the link from the city's Smart Track page and landed here. Only reference to the project I could find on Metrolinx's site was this Kitchener Line GO Expansion map where the station is greyed out as a "proposed" station. Did this station get killed? Did I miss something?

View attachment 448741
View attachment 448742
Page is still up. https://www.metrolinx.com/en/projec...-were-building/st-clair-old-weston-go-station

I remember hearing about that. Is it approved yet?

Also, RER is more frequent than this GO extension will be.

It’s in procurement. See here.

The leg east of Oshawa will not be electrified, so likely not as frequent as LSE RER. Until we see the Bolton Business case, we don’t know what service level will be proposed there. Unlikely it would be electrified, either.

- Paul

Confederation GO got caught in a mess of changing priorities from the PC government which lead to it's delays, including a massive scaling down of the station and multiple years of delayed funding.

SmartTrack stations from what I recall are mostly expected to start construction this year.

Confederation GO got caught in a mess of changing priorities from the PC government which lead to it's delays, including a massive scaling down of the station and multiple years of delayed funding.

SmartTrack stations from what I recall are mostly expected to start construction this year.
My 3 year procurement stat is actually after the PC switches and re-scoping etc. Procurement for this iteration of the station ran from early 2020 to late 2022, so just under 3 years. I believe the station was initially supposed to start construction in 2017, under the Wynne Government.

Curious if anyone has any knowledge or theories on how safe the Smarttrack Stations are?

I really do like this part of GO-RER. Smarttrack was a flawed goal but the 5 or so stations we have planned on GO-RER will benefit Torontonians greatly, I believe.

With Tory out, how safe are these stations? How easily could an incoming mayor cancel these stations? Or has the ink dried on the contracts and it would be a really bad move.

I really do like this part of GO-RER. Smarttrack was a flawed goal but the 5 or so stations we have planned on GO-RER will benefit Torontonians greatly, I believe.
Yes, the prospect of a Bloor-Lansdowne GO station in the not-too-distant future is the only thing that makes me tolerate my current commute

Yes, the prospect of a Bloor-Lansdowne GO station in the not-too-distant future is the only thing that makes me tolerate my current commute

As a side note, there is a possibility (not a given) that the cycle tracks here will be raised to sidewalk level as part of the station project.

Back