News   Jul 15, 2024
 122     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 504     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 607     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

The key point is that the Scarborough subway isn't about rational transit planning and investment. Its justification is equity, the notion that folks in Scarborough deserve a subway just like everyone else in Toronto. Ridership numbers and cost really don't factor in the political calculation.
I think people would ride from Lawrence or Ellesmere to Kennedy via the GO trains would be offer free transfer. The only thing riders would be loosing is frequent service as GO RER would run 15 to 30 minutes off peak leading to super long waits oppose to the SRT. This might require TTC to run a Lawrence East East bus out of Kennedy.

The key point is that the Scarborough subway isn't about rational transit planning and investment. Its justification is equity, the notion that folks in Scarborough deserve a subway just like everyone else in Toronto. Ridership numbers and cost really don't factor in the political calculation.

article-2619442-1D8A3FFF00000578-264_634x447.jpg

But Scarborough still wants to keep its "suburban" feel, even with a subway.

The number of stations and their location seems well thought out and logical.

I concur with crs1026 in terms of the northern terminus. Eglinton seems like a rather odd place to end the route especially considering it's using an already used rail corridor. It think the people in Weston will have something to say about this.

I agree also with the extension to Etobicoke North and a station at Woodbine as it would serve Humber and many airport workers. I do know they are past the 401 so I'm not sure how easy an extension would be but Weston seems like a no-brainer.

The number of stations and their location seems well thought out and logical.

I concur with crs1026 in terms of the northern terminus. Eglinton seems like a rather odd place to end the route especially considering it's using an already used rail corridor. It think the people in Weston will have something to say about this.

I agree also with the extension to Etobicoke North and a station at Woodbine as it would serve Humber and many airport workers. I do know they are past the 401 so I'm not sure how easy an extension would be but Weston seems like a no-brainer.

Yup. The station at Weston is already there (probably have to reconfig it a bit). Once Eglinton Crosstown is built, the UPX should really stop there instead of Weston, so it is basically swapping the UPX station to a GO RER/SmartTrack stop. Shouldn't cost that much time and money to do, yet continues the train service for the Weston community.

So will ST have its own rolling stock and be double deckered.

Also unlike to GO train set up they would have to be made so people can get on and off faster for convenience and to reduce dwell times.

Wow, the 7-stop SmartTrack is expected to carry only 27,600 riders per day. That's shockingly low. Less than half the usage of Line 4.

To put that in perspective, it's almost in the same scale as as the Kitchener and Stouffville GO lines combined today. So as long as you think of it as just some added GO trains, that stop in some new places, it's not a bad deal.

Think of it as 'SmallTrack'.

The name and branding will die the day Tory's term as mayor expires (and unfortunately, not a day sooner).

- Paul

Back