News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 562     0 

Skymark Plaza redev (3555 Don Mills Road, 34 + 28 + 25 + 7s, Brown + Storey) DEAD

all those older buildings in the peanut plaza will have to be taken down in order for it to become anything like the yonge corridor

I've always wondered what the plan is for those buildings. They're amongst some of the oldest in the city and I'm not sure how many more years they can reasonably be left standing. From what I understand most of them are in "fair" condition internally / structurally.

Cruzin4u I'll definitely email them right now, thanks for the suggestion!

I truly believe that this corridor is unique within the city given the level of urban planning that went into it during the 1960's and 1970's. There should definitely be a focus to urbanize this area further.

I also forgot to mention the presence of two historic sites along Finch on either side of Don Mills, the Zion Schoolhouse and the Alexander Muirhead Victorian farmhouse. A really neat piece 19th century history doesn't get the kind of attention it deserves.

_____

EDIT:

I just got a response to my email as well:

Thanks so much for your note. It is very much appreciated, especially given the negative reception we received at the public meeting. We think this project is doing the right things for the neighbourhood, and your endorsement, the points you have made and offer of support are all very welcome.

We also appreciate that you are taking the time to send something on to the Councillor. Would it be possible for you to also send something to the Planning Department as well?

Last edited:
There is a miss opportunity for this development and one would hope it can be fix as this plan proceeds.

I would remove the existing retail area and replace with a continue street edge building between 6-10 storey with retail and commercial on the first 2 floors that would tie into the current proposal.

I would place residential unites on top of the grocery store ranging between 6-10 storey and tie it into the tower as well going over the driveways.

The podiums should be sit back for a wider sidewalk and patios along with trees/shrub/flowers.

I would try to reduce the parking space more than what being call for at this time.

Some stone and brickwork along with not square looking building would help.

That certainly makes more sense for the community but does nothing for the applicant (there is no developer yet) who wishes to maximoze his profitablity with the maximun zoning he can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and what's wrong with large plots of unused land, mostly artificial hills providing a "closed environment"? BTW the land is not unused. It's used for trees and grass (ever heard of those?) and privacy.
We worked for it, we earned it and now we are entitled to enjoy it.

...and what's wrong with large plots of unused land, mostly artificial hills providing a "closed environment"? BTW the land is not unused. It's used for trees and grass (ever heard of those?) and privacy.

I really don't think toronto people are ready for underground parking plazas. It's rather intimidating. Make the plaza more friendly and welcoming.

I really don't think toronto people are ready for underground parking plazas. It's rather intimidating. Make the plaza more friendly and welcoming.
Ironically, plaza/shopping centre with underground parking is perfect for Toronto: cover from the sun during summer, and from snow/ice during winter.

Ironically, plaza/shopping centre with underground parking is perfect for Toronto: cover from the sun during summer, and from snow/ice during winter.

You all need to be silenced before your good ideas start catching on. Can't have that here.

At Bayview and Eglinton the McDonalds only has underground parking.. Its still a busy place. People adapt. And yes, underground parking does make more sense in our climate.

Wrong!!!

At Bayview and Eglinton the McDonalds only has underground parking.. Its still a busy place. People adapt. And yes, underground parking does make more sense in our climate.

There IS surface parking and it is well used. Please check your fact in the future.

There IS surface parking and it is well used. Please check your fact in the future.

For your 3RD comment you appear to make a lot of Friends easily. I guess I always access this McDonalds off of Eglinton and always park underground and did not realize there was even surface parking. Anyways I stand corrected but from my memory that underground parking is still used. Just like Fairviews underground parking is used, and just like STC underground parking is used and just like Yorkdales underground parking is used. Ill assume based on your quick hostility that you are NIMBY # 1... Well good luck with your new plaza.. Its happening whether you like it or not.

answerman543;681109? said:

BTW you aren't "entitled" to anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt appreciate your response to my post which is why I was hostile in response. That being said I still believe that you are not entitled to anything. Yes I do have a job by the way and so does my wife. We both pay taxes and its a considerable amount and we do own our own house. Let me explain why I do not believe you are entitled to anything in a less hostile way. I look at the people in these units situations in much the same as the people who buy downtown and are happy to live in a 50 floor building but when the parking lot next door is bought and a 50 floor building is proposed there then they oppose the development. What would make the one 50 floor building appropriate for the area (the one the person lives in) but the other building not appropriate (the proposal)? I dont think there is going to be a good answer to this question other then the typical it will add congestion to the neighbourhood arguement which is simply a decoy for the obvious "the new building is going to ruin my view." As many will point out here, simply because you were there first does not mean that other buildings will not be built in close proximity to you. OK now this is when I would agree you have a case which I am sure is not your situation. Lets pretend you bought a CONDO that overlooked Central Park (use High Park for Toronto purposes if you want) Your view is completely unobstructed because you face the Parks borders. If somehow the city decided to sell the Park land and build a condo there, I would say you have a legit arguement. Another example which is similar I suppose. You buy a waterfront condo which faces the water and there is absolutely no room for anything else to get built between your building and the water. Lets pretend the City decideds with its extra dirt from the LRT construction it is going to fill in some of the water with land in front of your unit and then build another COndo. In this case I to would belive you have a legit case. In both examples even with all the due dilligence from real estate agents and the lawyers in the world you could not have for seen the possibility of the extra buidings being built around you. In this plazas situation though the condos are overlooking Private Property which can always be redeveloped. The area keeps seeing more and more buildings and even if it is 20 years later it should not be a shock to anyone that this is now being developed. It is only a matter of time until all the plazass in Toronto are redeveloped. Its just that because of its close access to the DVP 401 and two subways that this plaza is going through that development stage sooner than others. Im sorry but maybe you can point out something that I am missing other then the fact that you pay taxes which in your mind gives you entitlement.

Nicely put sixrings!

answerman, are you opposed to this development (it seems you are - but you haven't explained the reasons why)?

It's not just plaza's that are close to the DVP/404/401/Subway that are going the development route, all the strip malls of the past are going that route. You look at the Shops on Steeles development, the Newtonbrook Plaza development, Parkway Mall redevelopment, and recently Shops at Don Mills - to name a few. These plazas are outdated and a poor use of land. I just can't phantom why anyone would be opposed to the redevelopment of this particular plaza. Seriously, it's a disaster area in it's current state. How can someone be against something that will surely improve the area and add value?

And you are right six, it's always the same complaints (1) congestion and 2) too tall - will block my views or affect my quality of life). Yet, if we look at the surrounding apartments, by no means are they short. They are giant slabs - let's take a look;

SKYMARK-PLZ.jpg

I can understand construction will drive some people mad. That is the downfall of a growing city, the constant construction - the noise. I've been there and completely feel for those people that will have to live in a construction zone for however many years, but we have to look into the future and understand that it's for the betterment of the community.

According to David Shiner's latest Community News, the property owner has withdrew their application for rezoning. The files are closed and there is no request for changes to the plaza at this time.

Back