News   May 13, 2024
 225     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 595     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 966     1 

Shoppes on Steeles (Bayview Dev. Summit, 7 bldgs to 32s) DORMANT

Not a lot of information. But, the ESSO gas station at Don Mills and Steeles has been demolished for a month? Quite surprising to demolish a gas station unless somethings close to happening.

Not a lot of information. But, the ESSO gas station at Don Mills and Steeles has been demolished for a month? Quite surprising to demolish a gas station unless somethings close to happening.

I can't seem to dig up anything new since the info on the preceding page.

The Gas Station is not being demolished due to impending construction of new towers,.... So what's really going on with the Gas Station? First, due to environmental laws all gas stations are required to change their gas storage tanks about every 20 years or so,... which usually result in rebuild of entire Gas Station. Another possibility is,... Gas Station realizing they won't be here long term, decides not to renew lease when due,....

Here, my understanding is the Esso Gas Station will be rebuilt here.

Thanks, some pictures I took today if you're interested. Maybe they already excavated a big hole and then already filled it up?

Also a picture of the for lease sign, there's also copies of this sign around other parts of the mall.

ESSO signage has been taken down and also the convenience store boarded up.

IMG_20230409_180029.jpgIMG_20230409_175820.jpgIMG_20230409_175910.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, some pictures I took today if you're interested. Maybe they already excavated a big hole and then already filled it up?

Also a picture of the for lease sign, there's also copies of this sign around other parts of the mall.

ESSO signage has been taken down and also the convenience store boarded up.

View attachment 467673View attachment 467674View attachment 467675

Good update, thanks!

Funny though, the leasing sign had me look this up on CBRE. The listing on their site reads a bit differently.

1681082353160.png

Industrial? Also 145,000ft2 is the entire built-out site as is, so far as I know.

Not sure where the 72,000ft2 comes from unless that's the old Sears, maybe?

Last edited:
Some updates.

The old Sears location has been leased by a weekend flea market that has been open for a couple months.

The gas station has been completely demolished and is now fenced off.

IMG_20231012_172917.jpgIMG_20231012_173254.jpg

The Esso station might have disappeared first because the underground fuel storage tanks have to be replaced every so often - I don't know the exact schedule though. That's usually when the stations -- which have to close during that time -- typically get a makeover. Given the long-term viability of the site, Esso might have just decided it wasn't worth re-opening.

So I wouldn't necessarily see it as a sign of imminent development.

Back