News   May 14, 2024
 871     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 470     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 527     0 

Shoppes on Steeles (Bayview Dev. Summit, 7 bldgs to 32s) DORMANT

There's urban/suburban clash all over, but here, people will be wondering "Where's the village? I don't see a lifestyle centre?" to which another will reply "It's behind the gas station." The gas station is a not-so subtle reminder that you'll either want or need to drive here.

Maybe they'll have a This Way To Shoppes ---> sign.

yonge north of the 401 is a very wierd but interesting place.

a mix-mash of the very urban, suburban and the between.

You have tall massive condos and offices, and urban style shopping malls mixed in with gas stations and parking lots.

Dude, this isn't near Yonge, it's about 5km east.

oh don mills and steeles.

I got confused with the many projects around this area espeically near yonge and steeles.

Although if you were to see that rendering and assume Steeles was Yonge and the 404 was the 401, it *is* eerily identical to a view of the east side of Yonge, looking towards the 401 over the Avondale neighbourhood...

I said that there are no high schools in the area - public schools are plentiful. The nearest public high school is Thornlea, which is 6 km away. St. Roberts catholic high school is closer, but still about 4 km away. High schools in Toronto don't count because this is north of Steeles.

My apologies, I did not know you were referring to High Schools in Markham. Sometimes I forget that Shops on Steeles is in Markham.

I saw a report about this development on CBC news a couple weeks ago, but was too lazy to track down anything on the web. Glad you posted this! From the interviews they had of people in the area it sounded like there was going to be a huge NIMBY protest against this height and density. A few people were saying this is the wrong spot for such a huge development but I would disagree. Great spot at a major intersection bordering on the 404 highway, also on the Metro border - perfect -build it!

There will always be NIMBY's out there.

I live in the area and I welcome the proposal, not only because it may up the value of the properties in the area, but also because the Shops on Steeles needs it. The mall, in it's current state, is a waste of space.

I remember it mentioning in the proposal that the mall would go first, but when talking to a few of the business owners (in particular the newly opened WIMPY's owner), he told me that the landlord mentioned that would not be the case and that the mall would be built last.

I do feel for those people in the townhomes just north of the mall. The noise they will have to endure for years with the construction might drive some people insane. But if they can handle the 404's noise, they should be able to handle anything.

NIMBY complaints will be pretty toothless here...the mall is kinda floundering, it's at an intersection of two arterial roads, next to the 404, down the street from tons of apartment buildings, down the street from office towers that are just as tall as a 20 storey condo, etc.

I noticed the northwest corner of the lot is cordoned off and I saw some sort of machinery on site. Looks like there's some movement on site.

I live in the area and I can tell you the traffic in and out of the streets north of the mall can leave one very frustrated as Don Mills is bottle necked at Steeles. Add in 5,000 more people with 2000 parking spots for them and who says they will walk or ride the TTC. People drive from here 46 ft away to the mall??? Don Mills and Steeles will become a nightmare of an intersection for both pedestrians and cars, it already has its share of accidents.

They redid the parking lot. They still put a lot of money into renos there even though there is a proposal in for redevelopment. have to give them credit for that. the Shoppes will be the last thing tobe redone according to the presenters

You are right, they did redo the parking lot. I didn't bother editing my post when I realized I was wrong (months ago).

I agree with you as well, there are accidents at that intersection constantly.

I do welcome the proposal, as I mentioned, but you are definitely right about the traffic. It's a nightmare now and only going to get worse.

During the rush hour, Don Mills is backed up all the way to McNicol. And then North of Steeles on Leslie it's back up all the way to John St. Steeles is backed up east and west as well. It doesn't help that the morons running the traffic lights can't get it right either.

looking back in this thread, there are a crap load of mega suburban condo projects that we never heard from again.

Back