News   Jul 23, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 650     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Sheppard Stubway

What course of action should be taken in regards to the Sheppard corridor?

• Total voters

Dan416

Member Bio
Reaction score
As promised, poll #2, regarding the other Transfer City corridor, Sheppard. Vote for your favourite option for this corridor. Sorry if I leave out any options.

As I mentioned in another thread, the subway wouldn't even have to be tunneled east of Kennedy, slashing the total tunnel distance in half. This could mean that the cost of the subway wouldn't be much more than the cost of the Sheppard East LRT, especially if the latter requires a one-stop subway extension to an elaborate interchange station. A subway, needless to say, would attract far more riders and provide far faster and more convenient service without an unnecessary transfer.

Take a trip out to Sheppard east of Markham. There is literally nothing there. Bus lanes east from Kennedy would be more than sufficient.

You should do Eglinton next, CC.

I voted for destubwayization via subway extension. The combination of the 85 and the 190 going east of Don Mills is one of the busiest surface corridors in the city and replacing a very busy bus route on a street with bad traffic was a main reason for a subway in the first place and nothing has changed. The 190 has seen service added every year since it started running and now carries several times as many people as expected. Going over to Downsview, too, will make the Spadina extension much more viable.

The Sheppard corridor between Downsview and STC, already highly developed, is seeing tens of thousands of new residential units...Tridel's efforts alone could literally add 10,000 riders to every station. Now, I'm always saying that local walk-in riders are just a bonus compared to what feeder buses can do, but walk-in riders would contribute mightily to a longer Sheppard line. Subways are the very best tool that we have to reshape and improve urban form and it is certain that Sheppard will turn into a very dense urban corridor, generating many, many billions of dollars worth of redevelopment - the process has already begun.

Of course, the best reason to finish the Sheppard subway is precisely that, to finish Sheppard. The line is unfinished and should be finished. I can't stress that enough: it's not finished. People make fun of Bessarion since it only has 2100 riders per day...but there's currently only about 2000 people that live near the station, proving that a huge percentage of locals are taking the line. And 10,000+ ParkPlace residents haven't moved in yet.

Finish Sheppard! It should hopefully take some pressure off of the Finch East HRT (Heavy Road Transit)...

As I mentioned in another thread, the subway wouldn't even have to be tunneled east of Kennedy, slashing the total tunnel distance in half. This could mean that the cost of the subway wouldn't be much more than the cost of the Sheppard East LRT, especially if the latter requires a one-stop subway extension to an elaborate interchange station. A subway, needless to say, would attract far more riders and provide far faster and more convenient service without an unnecessary transfer.

Take a trip out to Sheppard east of Markham. There is literally nothing there. Bus lanes east from Kennedy would be more than sufficient.

You should do Eglinton next, CC.

Eglinton, then DRL? I don't want to have too many polls going on at once. I was planning to do one a week, but I don't have patience for that either! I'll try to wait a few days for the next one. Would be nice if we could REASONABLY cost these options out without hysterics.

Hmm, I don't see my favourite fate. Extend to Victoria Park. Also I'd think extending to Downsview would be a higher priority than extending east of Victoria Park, as then you start to get a network, some redundancy, and also some potential relief off the Yonge line, especially when there are issues.

Either complete the Sheppard Subway per the original plan or convert it to LRT, with surface sections west of Yonge, east of Victoria Park, west of Kennedy, and then elevated to STC.

What I find so galling is that back in Toronto's dark ages, in the late 90s and early 2000s, they still built the stations to accommodate 6-car trains for future, more enlightened days when the subway would be expanded and the demand would be met. I guess we proved them wrong.

The stations were built to handle large demand in the future. Ironically, the subway line currently appears destined to have minimal demand. It was well built, and clearly should be expanded so that the city may guide a northern intensification process and make this the kind of success that the original designers/planners of the large and accommodating stations had in mind.

Seems 95% of voters belive the Sheppard Subway should be finished to STC. Versus only 67% of respondents who belive the SRT should be replaced with subway to STC.

These numbers are considered accurate 20 times out of 20, with a margin of error of 0.

Of course, if you were to actually poll all 600,000+ residents of Scarborough about replacing the RT, you'd end up with a much higher % of pro-subway votes. I suspect that some of the pro-LRT crowd just hasn't shown up to vote in this thread.

My plan for Scarborough. I tried to keep the Sheppard Subway on Sheppard as long as possible.

2319759687_9447702d2c_b.jpg

CC,

I like it. At Scarborough Centre, the southbound/eastbound Sheppard tracks should be situated across the platform from the southbound/wetbound BDs, and vice versa to allow for a seamless commute.

Back