News   Jul 15, 2024
 469     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 578     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Sheppard Line Purple

I thought Orange was dropped because the TTC decided the folly of its ways in showing the Harbourfront line as a rapid transit route as worthy of a subway or the SRT. It also had a rapid transit number - 604 - that was dropped in favour of 510 (which was used before the Spadina route was opened).

That likely would have been part of the equation too.

scarberian: the RT's blue is also in use by Brampton Transit bus lines on the Ride Guide already - they don't come anywhere near each other, and the RT is a much thicker line, so it works.

If the TTC ever does end up with more rapid transit lines, and needs more colours to depict them, they'll have to think about how to modify the Ridge Guide to make it all work. Looking forward to it.

That likely would have been part of the equation too.

scarberian: the RT's blue is also in use by Brampton Transit bus lines on the Ride Guide already - they don't come anywhere near each other, and the RT is a much thicker line, so it works.

If the TTC ever does end up with more rapid transit lines, and needs more colours to depict them, they'll have to think about how to modify the Ridge Guide to make it all work. Looking forward to it.

In a reasonable city, we'd change the map colour of the Brampton buses, but for some reason I can see Toronto ending up with a new line whose colour is somewhere in between yellow and green because all the rest were taken.

I seem to remember it being mentioned on Transit Toronto back when Sheppard opened that magenta-purple was chosen because it could be done easily with the pre-existing colour plates in the printing process.

Until some months ago, trains were occasionally running on the B/D line with maps that didn't show the Sheppard line at all...in those cases, I'd certainly settle for maroonish off-purple.

I seem to remember it being mentioned on Transit Toronto back when Sheppard opened that magenta-purple was chosen because it could be done easily with the pre-existing colour plates in the printing process.

Hmm. That makes no sense to me. Just about any colour can be created easily these days.

but then strangely enough, a few of the signs at Sheppard-Yonge actually show maroon.

Depending on how the signs were printed, it means either 1) someone who was colour blind or just didn't care was put on the job, or 2) that some poor quality paint is fading possibly. Who knows.

As far as I can remember, a certain map company wanted to know from the TTC what colour to apply to the TTC shields that were being added to the map for a new line that was under construction in Mel-ville. The TTC had not put the line on maps themselves yet, but they were never very interested in that kind of thing in advance. Until the line was practically open, they didn't have to worry about it I suppose... Conversely, this particular little map company prefered to be ahead of the curve, and would put under construction facilities on their products whenever possible, indicated as such. A colour was needed for the station shields, and the map company proposed the obvious - purple - as it was the only primary or secondary colour that was not in use, or not in recent use, on the Ride Guide already. That and someone at the little map company has a fetish for purple.

As far as I can remember, a certain map company wanted to know from the TTC what colour to apply to the TTC shields that were being added to the map for a new line that was under construction in Mel-ville. The TTC had not put the line on maps themselves yet, but they were never very interested in that kind of thing in advance. Until the line was practically open, they didn't have to worry about it I suppose... Conversely, this particular little map company prefered to be ahead of the curve, and would put under construction facilities on their products whenever possible, indicated as such. A colour was needed for the station shields, and the map company proposed the obvious - purple - as it was the only primary or secondary colour that was not in use, or not in recent use, on the Ride Guide already. That and someone at the little map company has a fetish for purple.

I feel like I've just been listening to [Romy and] Michelle explain how she came up with Post-It notes...if it's true, it's like crossing paths with a living transit-geek legend, but if it's not true, it's still a cool story worthy of transit-geek legendness!

Orange would make sense for an Eglinton line, as it would be built out to Renforth and connect there with Miss. Transit, who already use orange. It would seem to be a nice, eye-soothing merging of colours.

(No? Oh well)

Lets go light grey/silver for Eglinton!

(Match with the stainless steel of Eglinton West)

It would look good on the black background too.

i wonder if they'll ever make use of IR, UV, transparent and plaid.

Back