News   Jul 12, 2024
 880     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 788     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 329     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

the libs aren't idoits, and that money is far from unlimited. Most of it seems to be designated for GO expansion, and combining the sheppard subway with the DRL would result in over half of the GTA funds being used, which is needed for other projects such as the Hamilton LRT and Hurontario LRT as well as probably ~$8 billion to build the GO expansions they are promising. There is absolutely no space to reallocate $3 billion to build this crap.

the libs aren't idoits, and that money is far from unlimited. Most of it seems to be designated for GO expansion, and combining the sheppard subway with the DRL would result in over half of the GTA funds being used, which is needed for other projects such as the Hamilton LRT and Hurontario LRT as well as probably ~$8 billion to build the GO expansions they are promising. There is absolutely no space to reallocate $3 billion to build this crap.

Perhaps the reason they are so willing to suggest that the GO expansions is so far flung (to Niagara for example) is to dip into the non-GTHA fund to cover some of those.

They can* finance the subway in entirety.

*meaning payroll taxes, parking taxes, etc. That can be done without the province. Question is, will anyone be willing to pay for the Sheppard East and West extension (to Weston Rd or Albion)? I mean if they find the money in theory we should have no problem with it innsert. Even if it is wasteful.

I pick up my wife at the subway station all the time. While waiting I stare at the map and dream nerd transit fantasies. I too believe that it looks ugly on the map. What I assume will happen is that the crosstown will open. People will like it more then they originally thought. Then people who take the SELRT will start to wonder why they have to make a silly transfer onto the subway for part of the trip. Sooner or later people will start to ask for the transfer to be eliminated and presto we have a second transfer. I think I did say earlier especially for west bound sheppard riders who will be heading to leslie to take the GO the transfer will be super annoying. Once the Danforth gets up to Sheppard you are right that closing the line wont cause chaos. PLus all these transfers don't help network connectivity. This is why people wanted the SRT to Danforth line turned into one line. But your original sentence is 100000% correct. It looks ugly on a map.

I agree, and to be honest 1 billion to eliminate the transfer is not nearly as bad as 4 billion for a subway to McCowan or Markham Road.

Libs have said they're going for:
1) GO REX
2) DRL
3) Hurontario LRT
4) Durham BRT
5) Hamilton LRT.

All of that needs to be paid for with $15B, which is doable if the DRL is being built only from Danforth to Yonge (no western or northern segments). There's no room within a $15B budget to add any more projects, meaning that everything else--DRL west/north, Yonge extension, Sheppard extension, Queen BRT in Brampton, Dundas St BRT in Mississauga/Halton, Eglinton Phase 2, etc.--are all postponed until after 2024 which is when the current funding sunsets. Note that the Big Move plan called for everything I just listed (except Eglinton Phase 2 & Sheppard extension) to be done by 2031. So technically the Libs haven't gone against the Big Move original plan with their latest announcement. They can basically say they're all pushed back to 2024-2031.

Libs have said they're going for:
1) GO REX
2) DRL
3) Hurontario LRT
4) Durham BRT
5) Hamilton LRT.

All of that needs to be paid for with $15B, which is doable if the DRL is being built only from Danforth to Yonge (no western or northern segments). There's no room within a $15B budget to add any more projects, meaning that everything else--DRL west/north, Yonge extension, Sheppard extension, Queen BRT in Brampton, Dundas St BRT in Mississauga/Halton, Eglinton Phase 2, etc.--are all postponed until after 2024 which is when the current funding sunsets. Note that the Big Move plan called for everything I just listed (except Eglinton Phase 2 & Sheppard extension) to be done by 2031. So technically the Libs haven't gone against the Big Move original plan with their latest announcement. They can basically say they're all pushed back to 2024-2031.

It is not clear to me that the 5 projects you listed don't, under the Liberal plan, have access to more than $15B. The GO RER (that is what they are calling it) extends beyond the GTHA in places....so some of that other $13.9B fund can be used there......for example, the extension (as tweeted by Murray) of the GO RER to Niagara would and Kitchener are places outside the GTHA so some of those project costs can come legitimately from the other fund.

depends how much money they can get from the feds as well, There is going to be a not insignificant amount coming from them over the next few years as well.

GO improvements within the GTHA alone are going to be about $8B. That leaves $7B for local transit within the GTHA. That's enough to fund the DRL, Hurontario LRT, Durham BRT, Hamilton LRT, but not anything more.

Federal money, that's the game changer. I feel like everything pledged to date is the minimum that will be built, assuming provincial funds only. Federal funds, if available, will be used to free up money to fund other things.

The Sheppard extension fans better hope for some generous money from Harper.

The difference between that and Sheppard is that Sheppard would almost certainly require new money. And we're not talking small change. $3 Billion+ more. Maybe even closer to $4 Billion for that useless hole in the ground.

There's only so much money to go around and I doubt the Libs want to pour any more into Toronto.

The only way we will find the billions of dollars to waste on extending the stubway is if the [most likely] upcoming Liberal gov't in Ottawa gives us the money to pay for it. I doubt that will be happening.

Either that or RoFoDoFo get their Private Sector Fairies™ to pay for the biggest boondoggle in Toronto history.

Last edited:
Wouldn't necessarily have to be $3B if it was a partial extension. There's also, what, about a billion on the table right now for the LRT?

Again, if the politics works, it can happen. No one thought a B-D extension would ever replace an approved LRT line. A decade ago, most people thought a Sheppard extension would get the green light instead of Spadina.

And I bet York Region has been using its political capital this week to advance the Yonge extension, which has a completed EA and is thus shovel-ready.

It's funny that you mention Yonge. The project is very likely off the table. There wasn't a mention of the project in the transit funding announcement last week.

If you think that the Sheppard Subway has any chance of getting funding while the gov't hasnt yet dedicated a penny to fund the Yonge extension, your deluding yourself.

Last edited:

Back