News   Jul 12, 2024
 839     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 752     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 321     0 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

But you don't just build a line because it alone will carry a lot of people, you also have to build a network that has redundancies to accommodate network issues. Is it really acceptable that when the Yonge Line has a passenger assistance alarm it stops the flow of millions? Not to mention, millions of dollars are required to provide shuttle buses for passengers when this occurs. What if people could just take spadina to Sheppard and across? I agree Eglinton and the DRL will help to an extent, but there's a large gap between Highway 7 and Eglinton where Rapid transit won't provide a link the two corridors. Maybe Finch LRT I suppose. I don't see Finch between Keel and Yonge being better than Sheppard.

I don't think that it's wise to spend $4 Billion+ to build a subway just incase something goes wrong for an hour or two on another line. Especially when we already have the Eglinton Crosstown to accommodate those redundancies.

I don't think that it's wise to spend $4 Billion+ to build a subway just incase something goes wrong for an hour or two on another line. Especially when we already have the Eglinton Crosstown to accommodate those redundancies.

That's far away from sheppard though.

Either the entire thing is built from Weston to STC or not at all.

ugh. Dalton keeps haunting us...

He made the mistake of over promising.

If his initial funding announcement was only part of Eglinton we still would have been thrilled. A few years later he could have adjusted upward to also fund Sheppard and a segment of Finch.

Give a man $20 and they're happy. Give a man $40 and later take away $20 and they tend to be pissed off. Psychology is a bitch.

they're time lost and operating problems that cost money and occur on a daily basis. To deal with them costs more over the span of X amount of years compared to providing an alternative that would reduce those operating costs associated with problems. And yes it certainly is worth $4B to anyone north of Eglinton. What already amounts to a 60-80 minute commute turns into 120 or 130 minutes. $4B is worth not wasting our lives away commuting.

they're time lost and operating problems that cost money and occur on a daily basis. To deal with them costs more over the span of X amount of years compared to providing an alternative that would reduce those operating costs associated with problems. And yes it certainly is worth $4B to anyone north of Eglinton. What already amounts to a 60-80 minute commute turns into 120 or 130 minutes. $4B is worth not wasting our lives away commuting.

When was the last time the BD line was used because of some operating problem on Yonge? If the idea is "not wasting our lives away commuting", then $4B can be spent on much more important projects that would benefit way more people.

Id agree, people are just grasping at anything possible to justify this expansion. A LRT in theory is happening. I wouldn't think it was the best use of money but I could understand how converting the subway to LRT so that a western expansion could happen cheaper makes some sense to me. Otherwise nothing really makes sense. I wish the Finch LRT line was a crosstown route all the way to STC. But then again I wish the Sheppard subway wasn't built to begin with. Actually I guess what I really wish is that the SRT was LRT to begin with so people would be more open to the LRT concept. No idea how people can praise the C train but at the same time hate the SRT, other then the stupid transfer. It would seem at this point 4 billion is better spent getting the DRL up to sheppard than to try to extend the sheppard line.

Id agree, people are just grasping at anything possible to justify this expansion. A LRT in theory is happening. I wouldn't think it was the best use of money but I could understand how converting the subway to LRT so that a western expansion could happen cheaper makes some sense to me. Otherwise nothing really makes sense. I wish the Finch LRT line was a crosstown route all the way to STC. But then again I wish the Sheppard subway wasn't built to begin with. Actually I guess what I really wish is that the SRT was LRT to begin with so people would be more open to the LRT concept. No idea how people can praise the C train but at the same time hate the SRT, other then the stupid transfer. It would seem at this point 4 billion is better spent getting the DRL up to sheppard than to try to extend the sheppard line.

To be honest with you six, it looks ugly on the map.

I don't understand why people say we can't close down sheppard or convert? Once the STC subway is open it won't matter anyway.

To be honest with you six, it looks ugly on the map.

I don't understand why people say we can't close down sheppard or convert? Once the STC subway is open it won't matter anyway.

I pick up my wife at the subway station all the time. While waiting I stare at the map and dream nerd transit fantasies. I too believe that it looks ugly on the map. What I assume will happen is that the crosstown will open. People will like it more then they originally thought. Then people who take the SELRT will start to wonder why they have to make a silly transfer onto the subway for part of the trip. Sooner or later people will start to ask for the transfer to be eliminated and presto we have a second transfer. I think I did say earlier especially for west bound sheppard riders who will be heading to leslie to take the GO the transfer will be super annoying. Once the Danforth gets up to Sheppard you are right that closing the line wont cause chaos. PLus all these transfers don't help network connectivity. This is why people wanted the SRT to Danforth line turned into one line. But your original sentence is 100000% correct. It looks ugly on a map.

That's ridiculous, that $4B spent on transit elsewhere will be a far better improvement to trip times every single day of the year, not just the few hours a year that the system is disrupted causing delays that could be ameliorated by an alternate routing on Sheppard.

You people are really grasping at straws trying to find a reason to build this thing.

I'm north of Eglinton and I don't think it's the best use of $4B right now.

I'm not a big fan of people claiming to speak for everyone in a giant geographic area. If you support it that's great, but you can't assume or claim that everyone north of Eglinton (or any other street) supports it.

I'm north of Eglinton and I don't think it's the best use of $4B right now.

I'm not a big fan of people claiming to speak for everyone in a giant geographic area. If you support it that's great, but you can't assume or claim that everyone north of Eglinton (or any other street) supports it.

I live near Bathurst & Sheppard, and yet I'm not whining about not getting a subway because I acknowledge that it's not the best use of money at this time, and that the majority of experts are against it. Whoever think's this is a good idea is going against facts and is therefore no better than some of the idiot city councillors that we've seen during the debates. Until a report comes out and proves otherwise, I am not convinced.

He made the mistake of over promising.

If his initial funding announcement was only part of Eglinton we still would have been thrilled. A few years later he could have adjusted upward to also fund Sheppard and a segment of Finch.

Give a man $20 and they're happy. Give a man $40 and later take away $20 and they tend to be pissed off. Psychology is a bitch.

Tell me about it... all these LRT lines were supposed to be up and running this year.

Unfortunately there is no good solution that doesn't involve lots of money. It's too expensive to extend, too expensive to convert to LRT, too expensive to abandon. Sheppard never should have been built.
It likely wouldn't have been if downtown didn't flat-out reject a DRL in the 90s.

You people are really grasping at straws trying to find a reason to build this thing.
The only reason that really matters is politics. and I'd say the Ontario Liberals just put out a pretty big straw. No doubt the Scarborough Liberal caucus feels emboldened after helping to overturn an approved LRT for a subway extension.

Back