News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 3K     3 

Second City on The Esplanade?

vistaway

Member Bio
Reaction score
Noticed a liquor licence application for The Second City at 98 The Esplanade (News Theatre) today.

Anyone know if they are moving, or is this something else? I love the current space...would be a shame for them to move so soon.

Noticed a liquor licence application for The Second City at 98 The Esplanade (News Theatre) today.

Anyone know if they are moving, or is this something else? I love the current space...would be a shame for them to move so soon.

There's an ad in Toronto Star today too - applying for the license. It would be great if they had an outside terrace on The Esplanade - that section is DEAD!

The building they currently occupy is being torn down for a condo.

That's too bad. I liked when there were across the street (where the Diesel Playhouse is now) but I much prefer their current set-up attached to Wayne Gretzky's. But I guess they're moving closer to their roots.

Are we talking about the building where Mike Bullard's brieft stint on Global was filmed?

Bullard was filmed in the back of Gretzky's before moving to the Masonic Hall - as far as I remember - so, yes.

Maybe they're moving out to make room for a condo sales office, as whatever is replacing Gretzky's has not been announced yet (so it's a little premature to tear the joint down).

I figured it was pretty early to clear out that space as well, but the sales office theory makes sense.

The new location would certainly help bring some life to that stretch of the street, though.

I hope not. That place was terrible - a long, narrow rectangle where the audience was miles away from the action. It killed the show dead. The taping I went to there was so deathly quiet, the guest - an actor from the Sopranos, I think - got actively mad at Bullard for the frosty reception.

At the time when the Entertainment District needs to generate a greater diversity of venues, it loses one of its mainstays.

No, I'm talking about when Bullard moved to Global just a few years ago. It was filmed on the Esplanade near St. Lawrence Market.

Oh - I never watched that as it was on Global.

Actually the retail at the ICON building just to the south on Peter seems to do this pretty well.

Do what well?

All they have in there is one convienience store, and a bunch of live/work units at ground level that look completely unapproachable. That whole strip of wellington from john to clarence square is pretty dead.

Back