News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 976     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 366     0 

Scarborough-Malvern LRT

I read somewhere that Tory supports this. That gives it a much more likely chance of occurring
This has Tory's fingers all over it.

Will the Scarborough caucus of the provincial and federal governments buy it though. What about the Ward 38, 41, and 42 councillors, who just lost subway stations? De Baeremaeker, Chin Lee, and Raymond Cho. De Baeremaeker was already pushing to add a station at the intersection of Eglinton with Danforth and Brimely - that adds councillors from Ward 35, 37, and a stones throw away from Ward 36. Berardinetti, Thompson,and Crawford. Are these six going to buy into this, or side with the left-wing?

So how did the five of those six councillors who voted on this in 2013 vote:

upload_2016-1-20_16-43-23.png

All in favour. So if they don't like this (and none have struck me as pro-LRT before), the vote goes from 24-20 to 19-25 - assuming all other wards vote the same.

I'm surprised that they've dared bring this to council - I'd be fearful that they might revert back to the existing LRT conversion, which still to this day has a signed agreement with Metrolinx for them to fully build and finance.

Attachments

• upload_2016-1-20_16-43-23.png
    upload_2016-1-20_16-43-23.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
I'm so happy! Where is ehlow, I hope we can ride on Eglinton from the airport all the way to UTSC soon!
I think Lawrence East Station will still happen as planned by the province if the city opted out. There's a real possibility that Sheppard Subway will be back on the table to connect Don Mills to STC

If we can't afford any stations on a 6-km line for $2.5 billion, then the 9-km extension from Don Mills to STC would cost almost $4 billion with no stations other than STC.

Tory's decisions in the last couple of days, have been to go the other direction.

The subway is stopping at STC. Sheppard will comeback unless the SMLRT goes to sheppard and morningside.

Last edited:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/scarborough-subway-plan-1.3412239
City staff are proposing the elimination of two of the three stops on the proposed $3.5-billion Scarborough subway line.

Staff are set to release a report Thursday that outlines the proposed changes, sources told CBC News.

The new plan — which would offer a direct route from the Kennedy stop to the Scarborough Town Centre stop along McCowan Rd. — would mean $1 billion in savings and not take away potential ridership from Mayor John Tory's ‎proposed SmartTrack line, according to sources.

Will the Scarborough caucus of the provincial and federal governments buy it though. What about the Ward 38, 41, and 42 councillors, who just lost subway stations? De Baeremaeker, Chin Lee, and Raymond Cho. De Baeremaeker was already pushing to add a station at the intersection of Eglinton with Danforth and Brimely - that adds councillors from Ward 35, 37, and a stones throw away from Ward 36. Berardinetti, Thompson,and Crawford. Are these six going to buy into this, or side with the left-wing?

View attachment 64489

All in favour. So if they don't like this (and none have struck me as pro-LRT before), the vote goes from 24-20 to 19-25 - assuming all other wards vote the same.

I'm surprised that they've dared bring this to council - I'd be fearful that they might revert back to the existing LRT conversion, which still to this day has a signed agreement with Metrolinx for them to fully build and finance.

There seems to be double standards these days. I find it very interesting that they are fully willing to support a $3.5 billion (including the recent cost overruns) subway to Vaughan, yet they look for every opportunity to crap on the Scarborough subway. My hope is that some Councillors will use there brain and stick to the 3 stop subway or at least consider this plan outlined in Richard Gilbert's article http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...-better-route-for-the-scarborough-subway.html and another website http://worldwidewickens.com/?p=610. I see this a a recipe for Tory being voted out of the next municipal election potentially by another Ford. If I were Mr. Tory, I would tread carefully. There is a reason why much of Scarborough voted for Ford in both 2010 and 2014 elections.

The Mayor's office has come out and said that they've modified Scarborough transit plans to bring more transit to Scarborough, within the same funding envelope. What does that mean? Well, cutting SSE down to 1 station opens up $1 Billion of funding. It appears that 100% of that funding has been directed to the SMLRT. It also explains why SMLRT terminates at UTSC, rather than at Sheppard.

View attachment 64489

Councillor Glenn De Baeremaker, who Tory dubbed the Scarborough subway champion after he pushed the line onto the council agenda in 2013, said he was at first shocked to learn it was being revised.

“We moved heaven and earth to get the Scarborough subway on the map, to get it approved, to get it funded. So in my mind it was a done deal and it was finished,” he said. “Is this an improvement over the subway only plan? I have to say yes. I have to be honest.”

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...orough-subway-plan-eliminates-2-stations.html

If the Notorious GDB can scent which way the winds are blowing on this one, then I would say this has a fighting chance on council. Even Josh Matlow seems somewhat appeased.

If they are smart, they'll build roughed-in station boxes at the other 2 station locations so stations can be easily added in the future.
They should at least have appropriate length level sections of tunnel.

Back