News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 896     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 355     0 

Scarborough-Malvern LRT

Is it in his ward? If yes... agree. If no.. well... you know....

But, in his defense, VIA stops at Guildwood.

Neither one is in his ward.

It's not like people at Guildwood will need to scale the Berlin Wall and cross a piranha-filled moat to get to Kingston. Having the line run into the station could actually increase travel time instead of save time.

Neither one is in his ward.

It's not like people at Guildwood will need to scale the Berlin Wall and cross a piranha-filled moat to get to Kingston. Having the line run into the station could actually increase travel time instead of save time.

Agreed. It'd probably be cheaper to build some kind of sheltered pedestrian walkway to the station.

There is now a Notice of Completion – Environmental Project Report on the Scarborough-Malvern LRT at http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/malvern_lrt/ dated October 16th.

The TTC and the City of Toronto have completed the Environmental Project Report (EPR) for the Scarborough Malvern LRT. Please see the Notice of Completion (PDF).

The Environmental Project Report can be reviewed from the Scarborough-Malvern Light Rail Transit (LRT) website, it is 25 separate PDF's in length.

Something to read over the weekend.

From page iii of the Scarborough Malvern LRT EA report's Executive Summary, from the website:

Typical 36.0 m cross-sections along the Scarborough-Malvern corridor were developed for both mid-block sections and at intersections. Typically, the LRT alignment is located in the middle of the corridor with a 150 mm high median to separate LRT traffic and general traffic between traffic signals. At intersections, the track will be at the same elevation as the crossing road. Light rail vehicles (LRVs) will be operating on standard
TTC gauge embedded track.
The proposed system will be double-tracked throughout, providing a separate track for each direction. Generally, a cross-section of at-grade double track for an LRT alignment requires 7.4 m. The minimum vertical clearance is approximately 4.0 m from top of rail. Crossovers will be provided at designated locations for special LRT operations to allow trains to cross to the opposite track.

And again, from page 31 of Part 3:

Light rail vehicles (LRVs) will be operating on TTC rail gauge embedded track. The proposed system will be double-tracked throughout, providing a separate track for each direction. Generally, a cross-section of at grade double tracks for the LRT alignment requires a 7.4 m right-of-way. The minimum vertical clearance is approximately 4.0 m from top of rail. Crossovers to allow trains to cross from the opposite tracks will be provided at strategic locations for LRT operations at specific locations.

I can't imagine for a second they would use anything else ... if they did it would make things a nightmare where TC tracks intersect non-TC tracks ... such at St.Clair/Jane ... and and if Jane get's extended to Lakeshore ... or someone builds a Kipling LRT one day ... or if Kingston Road ever get's extended to Eglinton ... or if Bathurst get's built as LRT ... etc., etc., etc. ...

... or if someone wanted to shift some TC vehicles to the straighter, flatter, non-TC lines (Queen comes to mind ... no hills or curves there ... just need a couple of cross-overs at the end of the line ...

The TTC would only propose TTC gauge. Metrolinx, if it cared, might push a different gauge. Alternately Metrolinx, if Transit City is TTC gauge, may push for TTC gauge on other GTA LRT systems for combined procurement.

I hope they have a new proposal for the Kingston-Morningside intersection that drew some serious criticisms on the last go. And I still don't see any plan to overcome the resistance from West Hill homeowners who live along Morningside. They aren't likely to give up giant chunks of their front lawns without a fight.

I hope they have a new proposal for the Kingston-Morningside intersection that drew some serious criticisms on the last go. And I still don't see any plan to overcome the resistance from West Hill homeowners who live along Morningside. They aren't likely to give up giant chunks of their front lawns without a fight.

If you look in Appendix 2 of the EPR (which is a very long document), It shows evaluations of a few different intersection configurations. I don't have a major problem with the left turns being removed at KR and Morningside, it will make conditions better for the straight through traffic and transit, and making most of those left turns elsewhere is hardly an inconvenience.

I jumped on this thread kind of late and I don't know if has been covered yet but, I am going to ask anyone if this issue has been thought out yet. I am wondering what they are planning to do with Scarborogh/Malvern LRT and the intermodal connections at the Eglinton GO station at Bellamy/Eglinton and the Guildwood GO station on Kingston Rd.

For the Eglinton GO station it would be great if the LRT had a manned Station and the # 9 bus route were split in two. The north #9 bus would leave Scarborough Town Center, as it does now, pass by the Bellamy Station on extended SRT which is now an elevated LRT, travel south on Bellamy and terminate at the Eglinton GO/SMLRT stop. Another bus route would use that station as well and that would be a bus that leaves this GO/SMLRT station and travel down McCowan to Kingston then across St. Clair to Warden Station, like the present # 9 bus does.

I hope the Guildwood GO station has a good accessible transfer with the SMLRT as well. The reason that I hope for good intemodal links with GO is because I have experience the link at the Oriole GO Station and the Leslie subway station, it isn't a well planned transfer and I would like to see transit in the GTA compliment one another that shows that different transit systems support one another.

My wife and I live near the Brimley/St. Clair area and this SMLRT will be the closest rapid transit route to us unless, and I hope this becomes reality, that the Danforth/Kingston Rd. BRT becomes reality, then I have rapid transit within walking distance of home.

I copies of both issues of this weeks Scarborough Mirror and their were a number of articles about the Sheppard East LRT. One of the articles included a map that showed both the present #85 bus route stops and the planned stops for the SELRT on the same route. I was wondering if the Scarborough/Malvern LRT had this type of planning done as well.

Kennedy Station will be an incredible transit hub with the GO station there, the eastern terminus of the Bloor/Danforth subway, eastern terminus of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, the SRT which is to be converted to LRT and this Scaborough Malvern LRT. Not forgetting that their will still be a few bus routes using this hub as well, not as many as now but a few routes will survive all this needed transit expansion.

With TO getting the Games now, this project will start sooner than later and be ready for the games.

I would not be surprise to see the SRT close sooner than later as well rebuilding of Kennedy Station.

Expect to see a number of transit projects be advance to be in place for the 2015 games. Yonge Subway will not be one of them.

With TO getting the game, the idea of an Sheppard Subway just die.

With TO getting the Games now, this project will start sooner than later and be ready for the games.
Surely the priority of the Transit City lines shouldn't be determined by a 2-week sporting event in the summer when transit usage is already lower.

I'd think the Don Mills route should have higher priority than this one; and possibly Jane as well.

Back