News   Jul 26, 2024
 188     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 952     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 756     0 

Scarborough Curse

Wow, sounds like the only way to improve the lot of all Scarborough residents is to distinguish a few lucky neighbourhoods by their class/ethnic homogeneosity.

Yes, although "homogeneosity" has nothing to do with it...Malvern, for example, is anything but homogenous. Distinguishing areas in Scarborough from "Scarborough" is the logic behind not calling automatically calling everything east of Victoria Park "Scarborough" in crime reports. It's how most of North York is considered safe and desirable despite areas like Jane & Finch. "Scarborough" has such negative connotations that nothing bad can come from using or reviving neighbourhood names like Agincourt or West Hill or a half dozen others - what kind of neighbourhood has over 600,000 people, anyway?

Then why distance the white people in Malvern from those in West Hill or Guildwood? Discrimination by area code, no? Murders occur in West Hill all the time, two young men gunned down in Agincourt just last week. Is it not equally condescending to affix blame on Malvern or another sub-district then it is to accuse all Scarborough residents? Labeling's only going to deviate into non-white new immigrants stirring up trouble. We, as a society cannot move forward if we continue to see ourselves in socially, economically, culturally different brackets that instead of uniting, alienate one neighbor from the next.

Why distance people in Malvern from Guildwood? Because they live in Malvern. A "united" Scarborough will ensure that the Scarborough Curse sticks around forever.

Why distance people in Malvern from Guildwood? Because they live in Malvern. A "united" Scarborough will ensure that the Scarborough Curse sticks around forever.

Only in minds too narrow to see beyond the 6 o'clock headlines. Murders occur all over Scarborough, why associate it with only one neighbourhood? Because it engenders anti-immigrant/black/South Asian/Latino/etc. stereotyping and xerophobic behaviours while fostering pro-exclusion of said groups from lily-white puritan Guildwood which by the way has many visible minorities.

If people have never been to Scarborough to witness firsthand how relatively safe it is, they'll only make assumptions. Where is your team spirit, no child left behind mentality? The Curse only perpetuates because people sit on their hands instead of creating social programs, employment oppurtunities, welcoming non-whites into safer communities so that the ghetto trap ends now, not by the year 2357. Immigrants will always flock to Malvern and other gang/violence plagued communities if the system, through economics and latent prejudices, denies them access to live anywhere else.

How can Guildwood be lily-white and have many visible minorities? Now, try replacing Guildwood with Agincourt...not so easy to reduce everything down to an immigrant problem, is it?

Removing the Scarborough curse by not painting the entire borough with one brush won't save Malvern, but it can help the other half a million people in Scarborough...though that'd help Malvern, too, overall. There's no North York or Etobicoke curse.

How can Guildwood be lily-white and have many visible minorities? Now, try replacing Guildwood with Agincourt...not so easy to reduce everything down to an immigrant problem, is it?

Go to the City of Toronto's official website and examine how every riding/communtiy is broken down ethno-graphically. Why do officials beleive such data needs to be collected and aired for the public to read? Because it discourages interracial neighbourhoods. Anyone who thinks Guildwood's crime-free will assume its because they've excluded non-whites from it. Agincourt is largely East Asian so being uniracial isn't confined to just white neighbourhoods. These types of divisions need to be done away with. Just because some residents bought their way into a good community doesn't mean Malvern's troubles won't eventually, if they're continually ostracized from the larger GTA revitalist equation, extend outwards through all of Scarborough. That my friend, is how the Curse will never end.

There's no North York or Etobicoke curse.

Yet both those former municipalities account for more murders per capita than all of Scarborough. Why feel the need to single and label anywhere wrongfully? Are we not one GTA? I travel through Scarborough, North York and Vaughan every night to get home, mainly on transit, and I've never encountered anyone acting suspicious yet alone threatening. Dividing communties like this only summounts to class/ethnic/cultural prejudice and xenophobia.

Malvern's problems already do extend outward through all of Scarborough, and as long as "Malvern" = "Scarborough" it'll continue.

There was one at Bathurst, not Bayview, and the one at Markham counts as a Malvern murder. This isn't exactly a lot of murders. Check out some homicide maps of American cities to see some really dangerous corridors.

If we divide Scarborough into rough quadrants, the NW/Agincourt has 3 murders this year so far, the NE/Malvern has 6, the SE/West Hill has 6, and the SW/Scarborough has 10. I've always believed that if 'Greater Agincourt' and 'Greater West Hill' (and the areas near the Bluffs, of course) were separated from Scarborough, they'd be middle to upper middle class areas with reasonably high property values and very little crime.

Subsidized housing isn't that big a deal in Scarborough - Jane & Finch, Flemingdon Park, etc. are in North York and are worse than anything in Scarborough. The much bigger problem in Scarborough is the generally cheap housing. When you have such a huge swath of cheap housing, you're going to get a greater amount of less than savoury folk living in these houses. "Add" poor transit and limited services/jobs, add demographic profiles that result in more gang activity, etc., all under one common banner called "Scarborough," and you're gonna get a mess.

Yes, I have to agree with you there. I did forget to add "affordable" housing to my list.

Your point about industry is very interesting: while the airport surely played a role, much of the industry in Scarborough is in random little zones all over the place, not particularly close to a highway...flourish vs failure may be a bit of an exaggeration.

I do a majority of my contract work within the transportation industry, and I can tell you that most transportation companies will choose to locate as close as possible to major transportation links as well as the airport. The bulk of the industry's head offices are all located within 10km of Pearson.

There's still greenfield industrial plots left in Scarborough...if the Pickering airport was built, and if the borough had more highways than just the 401, they'd certainly be built up.

Malvern's problems already do extend outward through all of Scarborough, and as long as "Malvern" = "Scarborough" it'll continue.

I meant physical violence and crime rampant through all of Scarborough as a growing urban poor/immigrant newcomer sect forced into Malvern by discrimination becomes too big a population and boils over into more prominent neighborhoods. Dissociation will solve nothing, only create more divisiveness and sentiments of xenophobia, racism, classism, have/have-nots, etc.

Giving Malvernites a reason to get outta bed every morning (better transit infrastructure, better integration into the greater Metropolian community, better press that isn't so sensationalist but more objective, more affordable housing, better job oppurtunities established nearby) will help their lot (and all of Scarborough's) extremely more so than your smear campaign to brandish Ward 43 as ganglands to be entered at one's own risk.

For the less than 5% of criminals in Malvern there's 95% of residents who are law-abiding. Do you think all these people are beneath you (discrimination by postal code), because that's how it's starting to sound?

Go to the City of Toronto's official website and examine how every riding/communtiy is broken down ethno-graphically. Why do officials beleive such data needs to be collected and aired for the public to read? Because it discourages interracial neighbourhoods.

You believe that the City of Toronto pulls and publishes Statcan's racial statistics -- not "ethno-", as far as I can tell, insofar as only data on non-"white" communities are pulled -- as a strategy for the City of Toronto to discourage interracial neighbourhoods?

You believe that the City of Toronto pulls and publishes Statcan's racial statistics -- not "ethno-", as far as I can tell, insofar as only data on non-"white" communities are pulled -- as a strategy for the City of Toronto to discourage interracial neighbourhoods?

Of what other possible incentive to the public is it to know the likely complexion of the family living three doors down? People with preconceived stereotypical notions don't disasociate race from individual from stereotype. Hence classifying Malvern a non-white crime-ridden slum, in no way improves the social infrastructure of that community or any recent immigrant population living in substandard neighborhoods throughout the GTA.

Back