435     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 143     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 545     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully SOS members will be willing to help McGuinty out or Hudak might go even further than Harris did.

I don't know very much about Hudak... but politically, his party doesn't stand to gain anything from Scarborough, so I don't imagine he would invest billions in that part of the city.

You should mind the strong possibility that construction of SELRT in the east will start anyway (despite your call for cancellation).

In that case, Sheppard subway should be a very high priority, or it will not happen at all (LRT reaches Don Mills). TTC won't build LRT from Meadowvale to Kennedy, and then wait indefinitely for subway funding to connect the subway and LRT. If they don't have funds for subway at that point, they will keep pushing LRT further west.

It will be interesting to see SOS's final report and presentation. It would also be interesting to see if a group forms to attack SOS

If the LRT gets put on hold, the subway could be started within half a year. After a simple six month EA for the route to Agincourt, construction could be started immediately as it would be pretty much the exact same budget as the LRT. Provincial funding could be attained shortly after construction starts to finish it to STC.

If the LRT gets put on hold, the subway could be started within half a year. After a simple six month EA for the route to Agincourt, construction could be started immediately as it would be pretty much the exact same budget as the LRT. Provincial funding could be attained shortly after construction starts to finish it to STC.

If the LRT gets put on hold, other TC projects will quickly be moved ahead of Sheppard (i.e. Eglinton and Finch West LRTs) and maybe the DRL.

However important the DRL is, it would be difficult to quickly move it ahead. The design does not exist, end even the alignment is not selected yet.

However important the DRL is, it would be difficult to quickly move it ahead. The design does not exist, end even the alignment is not selected yet.

Fair enough. My point is a Sheppard Subway extension will not be moved to the top of the list and will be constructed years from now. Either you build the LRT or somehow improve the bus system

Last edited:
You should mind the strong possibility that construction of SELRT in the east will start anyway (despite your call for cancellation).

In that case, Sheppard subway should be a very high priority, or it will not happen at all (LRT reaches Don Mills). TTC won't build LRT from Meadowvale to Kennedy, and then wait indefinitely for subway funding to connect the subway and LRT. If they don't have funds for subway at that point, they will keep pushing LRT further west.

If I remember correctly, is the EA for Sheppard to Vic Park not already completed? (from a previous time period I believe). I could be wrong though.

If I remember correctly, is the EA for Sheppard to Vic Park not already completed? (from a previous time period I believe). I could be wrong though.

You are right, the subway EA has been completed to Vic Park.

That said, still there is a matter of funding, and of EA beyond Vic Park. As I understand, subways are not eligible for the simplified 6-months EA (only LRT and BRT are).

If they do start building SELRT from the east, they won't build LRT from Meadowvale to Kennedy and subway from Don Mills to Vic Park, and leave a 3.5-km gap in between :). They will need all funding for whatever subway / LRT combo is proposed, or will simply push LRT further west until it reaches subway.

You are right, the subway EA has been completed to Vic Park.

That said, still there is a matter of funding, and of EA beyond Vic Park. As I understand, subways are not eligible for the simplified 6-months EA (only LRT and BRT are).

If they do start building SELRT from the east, they won't build LRT from Meadowvale to Kennedy and subway from Don Mills to Vic Park, and leave a 3.5-km gap in between :). They will need all funding for whatever subway / LRT combo is proposed, or will simply push LRT further west until it reaches subway.

The funding from the SELRT should be enough to start building Don Mills to Victoria Park now. While that is being started, you start the EA for Vic Park to STC, and by the time the EA is done, construction can begin on the 2nd part of it. The same type of thing was used for building B-D (construction on Keele to Woodbine first, and then a year or so later construction began on Woodbine to Warden and Keele to Islington).

Hopefully we're all in agreement with regards to this new version that I'm uploading. DRL East is not funded by TC, and thus does not count towards this $15 billion cap (however DRL north of Danforth does, as it replaces the Don Mills LRT). This realization allows us to fund Sheppard West and still be under $15 billion. B-D extension to MCC does not count against the cap either, as it is outside of TC. Despite the objections by some that it is unrealistic and will never happen, I feel that including it in the plan doesn't hurt, as it does not affect the core principles and message of SOS and the Move Toronto plan. It doesn't cost us anything to keep it in the plan, and that's why it's still there.

PS: If this plan is agreed upon, I will add in the dots to represent the proposed stations, possibly with labels for all of them or just key stations (depending on what people feel would be most effective). I'll add on a legend too obviously.

Attachments

• Not-to-Scale_v3.jpg
    Not-to-Scale_v3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back