426     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 142     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 543     0 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, so you guys aren't really going to use the "LRT construction will cause businesses to fail and remove parking and make left turns almost impossible!" argument, are you? Because that's dumb. The last thing you want is Denzil Minnan-Wong and Rob Ford patting you on the back. Be pro-transit.

Hey, so you guys aren't really going to use the "LRT construction will cause businesses to fail and remove parking and make left turns almost impossible!" argument, are you? Because that's dumb. The last thing you want is Denzil Minnan-Wong and Rob Ford patting you on the back. Be pro-transit.

GraphicMatt is right...be "pro-transit"

Why is it binary? You guys are pro-LRT too in certain corridors.

Yeah appropriate corridors. Sheppard is clearly not an LRT corridor for one very good reason. IT ALREADY HAS A SUBWAY. An unfinished subway at that. So why spend money to ensure that it NEVER gets finished?

The bigger question is why so few people are so very vocal about being pro-LRT on Sheppard, even when multiple polls on this very forum indicate support for the subway option on this corridor, even if it involves cancelling the Sheppard East LRT.

Personally, I find it hard to care one way or the other about Sheppard east. But I have to say I find it strange that it was given #1 priority.

Matt, the left turns are an issue for small businesses on Sheppard My father owns a business on Sheppard. Aside from the construction woes, he's worried that no left turns in front of his store will reduce business. The rest of the storekeepers in his plaza are worried too. We'd be remiss not to consider their complaints. That said, left turns are a minor point in a long list of grievances about TC and its impact on Scarborough in particular.

Just because someone objects to a subway in Mississauga does not mean they are bashing that city. Some of us just think LRT could do the job to move people from the B-D line to MCC

Thank you. It's like we're living in backwards priorities land here in the GTA. The suburbs that have the moderate population densities with which to more than handle LRT operations want the subways while densely populated swaths of the 416, even where several trip-generators line up in a row, are slated to have LRT. Sheer madness. What good is their gold-plated subway extensions after when they disembark the subway they are subjected to long waits for the streetcar to get around Toronto? That's why I support SOS, because the core of the urban area needs mass transit provisions first and foremost, then we can worry about the suburbs later. That it takes nearly an hour to get from Scarborough Centre to the CBD is not right; meanwhile the commute from Pickering Centre and downtown Cooksville takes less time than that via GO. Whose plight am I to sympathize with more?

I honestly think Mississauga can do a lot better for itself going it alone instead of believing that hour-long jaunts on the Bloor-Danforth are beneficial to anyone. I'd give the same advice to Richmond Hill, if only they'd listen. REX is helpful to more people for the simple fact it penetrates more urban centres all over Sauga not just the city centre, which would be only five minutes away from Cooksville GO via an underground LRT line beneath Hurontario. The lesser population whom does still want points off B-D and YUS prior to the downtown should just continue commuting to those lines via feeder improvements such as Dundas or Yong North BRT/LRT. But don't subjectify other long-haulers to an unnecessarily long commute when the rail corridors are readily available for use.

My wife and I just recently moved to near Brimley and St. Clair area and we are closer to the Scarborough GO station then Warden Station, but, myself included, most of the riders on the different buses I take stay on the bus and go to Warden Station instead of getting off near Midland where the GO station is. I can't speak for everyone, but myself, the reason I get on the subway over GO is because I have already paid my fare with my Metropass and the subways are a lot more frequent the the GO train is. I guess if I bothered to look at the train schedule I would use pay the $8 and use the GO train but I don't because a lot of times I don't have to go all the way downtown.

Coruscanti, I think you kind of overreacted on the whole subway vs. Milton line discussion. It's not Mississauga-hating, it's unbiased logic. The B-D line, when running through Sauga, would have maybe one more stop than the Go train does. Other than that, it's an exact service duplication.

So why don't we reroute the Milton line so it just serves the city better? Would you still call us "Mississauga Haters" if the Milton Line ran at 5 minute frequencies and went right under MCC?
The only time I would endorse a B-D extension to Mississauga is if there was a huge, comprehensive plan to densify the entire Dundas corridor. Otherwise, Mississauga really needs a regional service, not a local subway.

Where was SOS, when in 1995, the anti-transit Harris government canceled all subway construction, expect for the Sheppard, without replacing it with more moderate expenditures such as light rail? More than 15 years of nothing.

^ I guess half of S.O.S. members were in secondary school at that time, and hence cannot be blamed for Harris : )

Where was SOS, when in 1995, the anti-transit Harris government canceled all subway construction, expect for the Sheppard, without replacing it with more moderate expenditures such as light rail? More than 15 years of nothing.

Hopefully SOS members will be willing to help McGuinty out or Hudak might go even further than Harris did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back