581     0 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 589     1 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to appease Mississauga, the extension to MCC is the way to do it. To appease Etobicoke, a subway to Sherway would do it. So to appease the West End, you need only the Bloor extension to MCC, no one in the West End cares about a subway to the airport.

Which is why extending the subway to Sherway opens the door for Mississauga to take it from there, and arrange a similar deal to what Vaughan and York Region have already done with Toronto. Let Toronto pay for the extension up to the border, and then have the neighbouring municipality take it from there.

All Mississauga needs to run with it is to Sherway, and all York Region/Vaughan need is to Steeles. Same applies for Port Union into Durham.

the optics of cancelling the SELRT and replacing it with nothing are not good.

Which is why extending the subway to Sherway opens the door for Mississauga to take it from there, and arrange a similar deal to what Vaughan and York Region have already done with Toronto. Let Toronto pay for the extension up to the border, and then have the neighbouring municipality take it from there.

All Mississauga needs to run with it is to Sherway, and all York Region/Vaughan need is to Steeles. Same applies for Port Union into Durham.

Okay I guess you're not too familiar with the layout of Mississauga. Sherway is too out-of-the-way for all but the Sherway bus to use it. It's too far south (basically at the QEW). Most of Mississauga is north of that. For it to be of any use, it has to reach up to Dundas (e.g. at Dixie).

Okay I guess you're not too familiar with the layout of Mississauga. Sherway is too out-of-the-way for all but the Sherway bus to use it. It's too far south (basically at the QEW). Most of Mississauga is north of that. For it to be of any use, it has to reach up to Dundas (e.g. at Dixie).

There's a fairly easy routing from Sherway up to Dundas (it's a creek and a park I believe), from there it can use Dundas to Square One. The subway shouldn't overlap the Mississauga BRT (although it could intersect it).

But yes, I will admit I'm not that familiar with the area, I only know the basic layout of it.

There's a fairly easy routing from Sherway up to Dundas (it's a creek and a park I believe), from there it can use Dundas to Square One. The subway shouldn't overlap the Mississauga BRT (although it could intersect it).

But yes, I will admit I'm not that familiar with the area, I only know the basic layout of it.

yeah there's no alignment i know of that would take the subway anywhere near the BRT, considering that the BRT is being built in the middle of nowhere and no one even wants it.

This whole thing is kind of falling apart, guys. What happened to keeping it simple? Sheppard Subway to STC is the only immediate goal you have that's remotely relevant in the short-term.

the optics of cancelling the SELRT and replacing it with nothing are not good.

Yet, I got pilloried for suggesting that we replace it with BRT. Anyway, the priority route for Scarborough should always have been Ellesmere. Let's 'upgrade' half of Sheppard East and leave the rest as is.

This whole thing is kind of falling apart, guys. What happened to keeping it simple? Sheppard Subway to STC is the only immediate goal you have that's remotely relevant in the short-term.

Building block approach. We are not out to look one issue NIMBYs....a la the Westonites. We want to show that we have a plan for the whole city, and an alternative vision compared to Transit City. This plan is coming together. And we'll start to advocate for it in short order with Sheppard and the BD extension as part of a greater plan.

Good point. Well that and the SRT replacement.

I agree that you don't want to come off like NIMBYs, but I think at the same time it's important to remember that the Westonites were (mostly) successful. I think their arguments would have been weaker had they been saying, "Hey, don't build Blue22 as planned, and also here's our comprehensive plan for heavy rail & buses in the GTA."

I agree that you don't want to come off like NIMBYs, but I think at the same time it's important to remember that the Westonites were (mostly) successful. I think their arguments would have been weaker had they been saying, "Hey, don't build Blue22 as planned, and also here's our comprehensive plan for heavy rail & buses in the GTA."

But SOS isn't just about one corridor. It's about the lack of any subway plans at all. The first battles have always been Sheppard and the SRT replacement. They just make so much sense they must be done. And the mistakes are in progress now, and SOS is made up of people who believe we need to correct this error.

The current problem with the #85 Sheppard East bus route is that there are too many bus stops close to one another in several sections, thus slowing down service. For example, if you head west along Sheppard between Water Tower Gate and Brenyon Way, there are 6 bus stops within a 1km stretch. If they just eliminate a few bus stops here and there, travel times between Kennedy and Meadowvale (or Rouge Hill GO Station) would shrink considerably and an LRT would not be needed

Last edited:
Ending it at Steeles is pointless, considering the fact that York Region is paying for the subway north of Steeles anyways, so it makes no difference if we "chop that part" or not, because capitally it is costing Toronto nothing anyways.

There is no way York Region can afford the whole cost of subway north of Steeles.

For TYSSE, they contributed 1/3 of the cost north of Steeles, other 2/3 coming from the province and from the feds. And that was before McGunty decided to start covering municipal 1/3 of the transit capital costs.

So at most, York Region will contribute 1/3 of the Yonge North cost north of Steeles. Or maybe nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back