35     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 889     1 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.2K     0 

"Save Local TV" vs. "Stop the TV Tax" Campaigns

Member Bio
Reaction score
anybody here noticed the hypocrisy in this campaign? the same broadcasters whining about local programming have no problem buying up american programming for the last 10-15 years and killing the canadian acting industry refusing to air canadian shows, and CTV(copy tv) copying reality programs like idol and the can you dance show and continue to buy up american shows. and now due to the recession are losing money that are now crying whining about local programming claiming thar cable companies not giving them money

These are the same broadcasters who whined and cried for the CRTC to force cable companies to carry their signals, free of charge, over 30 years ago.

My first impression when I saw these commercials was that it's a PR move for the cable and satellite companies who pay for these spots, nothing more.

My first impression when I saw these commercials was that it's a PR move for the cable and satellite companies who pay for these spots, nothing more.

There are two campaigns running, one is paid for by broadcasters, the other by cable companies. They say opposite things.

anybody here noticed the hypocrisy in this campaign? the same broadcasters whining about local programming have no problem buying up american programming for the last 10-15 years and killing the canadian acting industry refusing to air canadian shows, and CTV(copy tv) copying reality programs like idol and the can you dance show and continue to buy up american shows. and now due to the recession are losing money that are now crying whining about local programming claiming thar cable companies not giving them money
I'd love to blame American programming, but your explanation is somewhere between overly simplistic and dead wrong. Keep in mind, the CBC is also behind this campaign and they can't be accused of "buying-up Ameriacn programming for the last 10-15 years."

The number one reason that Canada's private broadcasters are in trouble is because they all over-extended themselves financially (particularly CanWest) and have now hit a perfect storm of a soft advertising market. Having said that, they do have a legitimite case for asking cable/satellite companies pay a fee to rebroadcast their signals (which those companies currently simply take). It's common in most of the western world that broadcasters get compensated for having their signal rebroadcast and in Canada cable channels already do, but terrestrials do not. They are simply asking for the same practice in Canada.

These are the same broadcasters who whined and cried for the CRTC to force cable companies to carry their signals, free of charge, over 30 years ago.
And your point is what exactly? That Canadian broadcast channels should be optional on cable/satellite systems?

Last edited:
And your point is what exactly?

My point is that the same broadcasters who demanded free carriage by cable companies are now demanding payment.
I thought that would be clear.

That Canadian broadcast channels should be optional on cable/satellite systems?

If I have to pay for something that is otherwise free, then yes, they should be optional to the subscriber.

Having said that, they do have a legitimite case for asking cable/satellite companies pay a fee to rebroadcast their signals (which those companies currently simply take).

They "simply take" those signals because the CRTC ordered them to "take" those signals. They were also ordered to make sure those signals were carried on the basic tier.

Should cable companies be forced to pay for those signals that are broadcast for free, then I hope the cable companies offer a la carte service, allowing subscribers to opt out of paying for stations that they can get for free, using an antenna.

Canadian broadcast channels will never be optional on cable/satellite systems. Period.

I don't see a White Knight here on either side, but we'll probably get hosed in the end.

There are two campaigns running, one is paid for by broadcasters, the other by cable companies. They say opposite things.
Which is funny in that they're one at the same. One of Canada's largest local stations CityTV (with stations in BC, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario) is owned and operated by Rogers Communications.

I have looked at it, the networks complaining about not getting a per subscriber fee - saying that the cable steals their signals and makes money off them (pretending that they don't need them). It is a false premise since this stations are broadcast on extremely low power - which means that the tv stations are counting on them being picked up by cable (Toronto TV stations max out at around 5KW, Buffalo - they are 500KW).

Cable companies are MANDATED to carry the local stations - you must subscribe to them. My solution would give the local stations an option.

If the broadcast meets a minimum power, AND there is no fee for carriage THEN they get manditory carriage.

If the station wants a fee for carriage - and have met the minimum power - then they are not manditory but up to the subscriber if they want them (I can get them with a local ariel.

If the station does not meet a minimum power requirement - then it is up to them and the cable operator to negotiate carriage or not.

Which is funny in that they're one at the same. One of Canada's largest local stations CityTV (with stations in BC, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario) is owned and operated by Rogers Communications.

...and CTV was recently owned by BellGlobeMedia....notice how CITY TV isn't on the attack?

If broadcasters want carriage fees, they should be willing to give up their spectrum and turn off their transmitters.

Cable companies would rather not carry these stations, since they can use the bandwidth for PPV and other revenue generating services.
Local broadcasters need to rethink their business model.

Last edited:
In Ottawa CTV took over A-Channel and in less than two years they cancelled the 6pm, 11pm and weekend news, which likely increased ratings on their own CTV Ottawa newscast. Two months later, they started the campaign to "Save Local TV"

We can agree on one thing that whatever the crtc comes up with it will be the wrong decision.

Let's see. A basic cable package is $37, and many of these channels are currently free to Rogers.

Where exactly is the $37 going, if not to pay for the channels?

Cable is a rip off. You might as well open your bank account and say "here, take as much as you want cable guy"!

Let's see. A basic cable package is $37, and many of these channels are currently free to Rogers.

Where exactly is the $37 going, if not to pay for the channels?

Cable is a rip off. You might as well open your bank account and say "here, take as much as you want cable guy"!

The majority of the $37 would be just for the line itself (antennas, maintenance, plants, right of way costs), then the cost of other required channels - CPAC, Legislature of Ontario, Star, Newsworld, YTV, Weather Channel, Treehouse, CP24, APTN, Star!, Sportsnet (which are not free).

This is not where they make the bulk of the money.

Back