News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 853     0 

Sam the Record Man Closure

Exactly. It was built as an administrative centre for the province right from the beginning. The least intentional... Vegas?

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryerson build something interesting on Yonge Street, but I fear that a large administrative or classroom building that's closed after five won't do much for the street life of the strip.

All of Ryerson's future consists of mixed retail and classroom space (ie. Business building). Ryerson wont be sucking the life out of anything. Its not trying to turn the area into a campus, its trying to open the campus up to downtown.

I'm very glad to hear it. I go to U of T, so when I think university I just assume absolutely no uses other than classroom and administrative. Not even a little shop. Nothing. There's one Tim Horton's, and it doesn't even sell bagels.

I'm very glad to hear it. I go to U of T, so when I think university I just assume absolutely no uses other than classroom and administrative. Not even a little shop. Nothing. There's one Tim Horton's, and it doesn't even sell bagels.

Yea, thats what Ryerson is trying to avoid with the 'Master Plan'. It doesn't want to separate itself from the city. It wants to be part of the city.

Wow, I never knew U of T was anti-Semitic...

I can assure you that there's nothing Jewish about the bagels sold at Tim's. Or anything at Tim's for that matter.

All of Ryerson's future consists of mixed retail and classroom space (ie. Business building). Ryerson wont be sucking the life out of anything. Its not trying to turn the area into a campus, its trying to open the campus up to downtown.

This is an ideal concept. However, so long as the Sam's redevelopment doesn't look anything like the business school big-box store at B/D we'll be fine. Although I use the B/D Canadian Tire and Best Buy all the time, I feel the structure itself is no more impressive then the exterior to a typical suburban mall or big box store. I'd rather have the retail and classroom synergy exist in something truly innovative rather than the status quo. Yonge St. & Ryseron deserve much better and are expect to deliver.

This is an ideal concept. However, so long as the Sam's redevelopment doesn't look anything like the business school big-box store at B/D we'll be fine. Although I use the B/D Canadian Tire and Best Buy all the time, I feel the structure itself is no more impressive then the exterior to a typical suburban mall or big box store. I'd rather have the retail and classroom synergy exist in something truly innovative rather than the status quo. Yonge St. & Ryseron deserve much better and are expect to deliver.

I like the Ryerson building and it's multi use. With respect, I think the B/D Canuk Tire and Best Buy integrate much better into the city than any standalone "big box" store and certainly better than those silly faux outdoor "main street" mega shopping centres (i.e. Eglinton & Laird, Weston Road & Hwy. 7 etc.).

I like the Ryerson building and it's multi use. With respect, I think the B/D Canuk Tire and Best Buy integrate much better into the city than any standalone "big box" store and certainly better than those silly faux outdoor "main street" mega shopping centres (i.e. Eglinton & Laird, Weston Road & Hwy. 7 etc.).

Good point. I too applaud the corner for it's multi use but I just wish (and I feel this way about most downtown buildings) that is was more architectually significant. And by that I mean whatever it is that I am imagining on a given day. The concept for multi use is there and it is great but the building itself is so underwelming, IMO. In concept, however, this development should be championed in the suburbs as case of innovative infill. Instead of Oakville building a stand-alone Home Depot across from the GO Station or Burlington bending over and allowing Wal-Mart to build a stand-alone monster next to it's GO station this concept should be employed. A store with another use on top? Perhaps office or housing? Move the store to the street and put the parking in the back (if below grade is too expensive, which it is in the Suburbs).

Anyway, steering my rant back on topic... when Sam's is redeveloped into another innovative multi-use building I expect it to be somewhat architectually significant. It will become Ryerson's Yonge St. gateway after all.

I think almost any structure replacing the Sam's buidling would improve the area, but I agree that this needs to be an architecturally significant building for Ryerson's sake. Unfortunately, the building on the other side of Gould is in such an awful state that it will be a major distraction from any new Ryerson building on the Sam's site. Does anyone know what is going on with that building across the street?

I think almost any structure replacing the Sam's buidling would improve the area, but I agree that this needs to be an architecturally significant building for Ryerson's sake. Unfortunately, the building on the other side of Gould is in such an awful state that it will be a major distraction from any new Ryerson building on the Sam's site. Does anyone know what is going on with that building across the street?

The one abutting Salad King on Guild that used to house the hot dog restuarant? If that is the one you're thinking about I'm not sure what is happening there. All I know is no one better mess with Salad King.

That's the one. Every time I pass by that building I am saddened by the obvious neglect. If there was any building on the Yonge strip that needs work, it is this.

^it's still there and lit up. It's not going anywhere at this point.

I guess whoever buys the building needs to keep it and maintain it in a state of good repair and working.

That's probably why nobody's bought the building yet. It's such a good location that one would think that it would be sold the minute it was put on the market.

^it's still there and lit up. It's not going anywhere at this point.

I guess whoever buys the building needs to keep it and maintain it in a state of good repair and working.

That's probably why nobody's bought the building yet. It's such a good location that one would think that it would be sold the minute it was put on the market.

So the sign is staying put even when the building is purchased?

Back