News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 847     0 

Sam the Record Man Closure

The only local white night...(

I thought St. Petersburg was the only major city located far enough north to get the White Nights? Did the earth wobble on its axis while I was on vacation? Or did Gregory Hines, Helen Mirren and Barishnikov lead me astray?

Does the signage need to remain on the exterior of the building, in order to satisfy the city's heritage designation? I think a good alternative would be to incorporate the signage inside... perhaps in an atrium of some future media building etc.

That's a fair question. I wonder if moving it back a number of metres behind a high glass facade facing Yonge would be acceptable? Bringing it all inside would mean less costly maintenance for it over the years. It could be the back wall for a large Yonge Street lobby for RyeHigherson.

They moved William Thomas's Commercial Bank facade from Wellington into the BCE Galleria, remember.

And other than maybe a "distraction factor", how is indoor neon bad? Esp. for a university building, it could be rather Michael Hayden-esque...

Does the signage need to remain on the exterior of the building, in order to satisfy the city's heritage designation? I think a good alternative would be to incorporate the signage inside... perhaps in an atrium of some future media building etc.

It needs to stay where it is fully lit otherwise what's the point.

The signage cannot be altered or removed without a permit from the City. However, the owner could meet with City staff and propose any number of preservation proposals. There is plenty of opportunity for creative solutions. The City, of course, would have final say, subject to an appeal right to the OMB.

buh...this idea brings to mind that sporting store on king st west, in front of mountain equipment coop - the old building encased in the glass tomb. terrible. I walk by it everyday and have thoughts of tearing it down just as often.

Yeah, but they did a cheap job on that. I'm talking about a glass jewel-box approach, à la Four Seasons University facade.

Or, again, keep in mind that thing on the left here
68154858_093513f71d.jpg

"...Petersburg, the most theoretical and intentional town on the whole
terrestrial globe. (There are intentional and unintentional towns.)"

- Fyodor Dostoevsky, 'Notes from Underground'

If St.Petersburg is the most "intentional" city, is TO the least?

Discuss.

Oh, purely intentional I think. Simcoe indended to build a town here. It's not one that just happened organically. Sort of like Washington, or Brazilia.

So now that FutureShop is moving to Toronto Life Square, they're vacating the building right next to SAM.

The three buildings that compose this corner block would be perfect for Ryerson to request to be expropriated and finally get their Yonge St. address.

I'd support tearing down Sam's if the only redeemable feature, the neon vinyl's were removed and reinstalled in the same location on the new building.

A building the size and location of Sam the Record Man can't be on the selling block for too long before it's picked up and Ryerson loses their chance.

So now that FutureShop is moving to Toronto Life Square, they're vacating the building right next to SAM.

The three buildings that compose this corner block would be perfect for Ryerson to request to be expropriated and finally get their Yonge St. address.

I'd support tearing down Sam's if the only redeemable feature, the neon vinyl's were removed and reinstalled in the same location on the new building.

A building the size and location of Sam the Record Man can't be on the selling block for too long before it's picked up and Ryerson loses their chance.
techincally its 5 properties since sams is 341-348 and FS is 351-353, which is just about 1/4 of yonge from gould to gerrard.

Oh, purely intentional I think. Simcoe indended to build a town here. It's not one that just happened organically. Sort of like Washington, or Brazilia.

Exactly. It was built as an administrative centre for the province right from the beginning. The least intentional... Vegas?

I wouldn't mind seeing Ryerson build something interesting on Yonge Street, but I fear that a large administrative or classroom building that's closed after five won't do much for the street life of the strip.

Back