News   Jul 15, 2024
 30     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Saks Fifth Avenue Flagship (Queen & Yonge)

The main issue with Cumberland Terrace, specifically in terms of tower, no tower, and/or placement of towers, as well as the number of towers, is due primarily to the subway line running below the site. It comes into the site at a strange angle, leaving only a small portion available to be developed, where typical excavating and building methods are possible - otherwise, caissons that straddle the tunnels is required. This is very costly, and is often first thing that is pushed from the table.
The TTC will not allow that you simply build on top of their tunnels - there are maximum loads that the tunnel can take before you essentially need to build around the tunnel and put in caissons. This is one option that had been explored for CT, but it was scrapped/reconsidered because the hight costs associated.

p5

When one looks at the Archives pictures of the subway being constructed between Union and College, and the impact it had on essentially shutting down Yonge Street for about four years, one can understand the decision to shift the tunnel further east, and in the case of the Bloor line, further north. Unfortunately it was a short-sighted solution, in terms of the impact it had in limiting future development options, particularly along the Bloor Danforth line.

We've long been advocating the removal of that ugly little RBC pavilion, but there's no indication at the moment that it would be part of the store's makeover. The store does not go that far west, and the tower has nothing to do with HBC: the whole centre is owned by Brookfield Properties, not the Hudson's Bay Company.

Who knows though: when we get the details on the planned remake of the store, maybe we will find out that Brookfield has decided to plough some money into the rest of the complex too.

Crosses fingers.

Who knows though: when we get the details on the planned remake of the store, maybe we will find out that Brookfield has decided to plough some money into the rest of the complex too.

I think the remake of the department store section is the perfect catalyst Brookfield needs to change the whole complex from class B to class A space. They did make major upgrades to the office tower recently, and the department store remake represents the vast majority of the retail space. I imagine Saks wanting the rest of the complex they are located in to reflect the level of finish of the store.

I absolutely HATE that RBC bank pavilion and I'll be so glad to see it go. I've complained to RBC and KWT, not that it does much good but people gotta vent about stupidity like that. That pavilion needs to go.

Small or not, it could be a brilliant square, especially given the surrounding density.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't imagine Brookfield taking out that block - banks are good tenants and pay handsomely. Don't see Brookfield taking a hit, just to make a public square. Unless, of course there is a bigger plan for the complex?

p5

Honestly, I could see RBC vacating to across the street at One Bloor. Taking up retail space in new condo developments is nothing new to them.

Small or not, it could be a brilliant square, especially given the surrounding density.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't imagine Brookfield taking out that block - banks are good tenants and pay handsomely. Don't see Brookfield taking a hit, just to make a public square. Unless, of course there is a bigger plan for the complex?

p5

Because of Toronto's grid pattern and geography public squares at our intersections of a major north-south street and an east-west street end up becoming wind-swept disasters. There is actually a fair bit of decent public space in Yorkville. I'd rather see the streetwall extended (ie the bank or a different tenant) moved forward and the moat removed on both Yonge and Bloor.

It does have a bit. And remember that they have "pre-history" on this corner (i.e. the Edwardian bank building which HBC replaced)

I absolutely HATE that RBC bank pavilion and I'll be so glad to see it go. I've complained to RBC and KWT, not that it does much good but people gotta vent about stupidity like that. That pavilion needs to go.

Complaining to people who have little or no say isn't going to do much. Brookfield is the owner. Only they can make any major change.

It does have a bit. And remember that they have "pre-history" on this corner (i.e. the Edwardian bank building which HBC replaced)

Said building:

201191-Royal-Bank-yonge-bloor-1970s-f0124_fl0002_id0112.jpg

And on the NW corner:

201191-CIBC-yonge-bloor-1960s-f0124_fl0002_id0110.jpg

Source for both images.

Back