News   Jul 24, 2024
 443     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 904     0 

Safety Tyrants and the Nanny State

Yeah reminded me of that 1950's era show Mad Men, where the young girl has a plastic bag over her head and her mom yells over her for making a mess by emptying the bag.

The world has changed a lot.

I had cousins over from California and my God they were freaking out with me going 90 km on highway 10 near Highway 89.

Maybe they thought you was going 90 miles per hour?

I heard something about the observation deck actually having been closed quite early--as a reflex after the Charles Whitman sniper shooting in Austin TX?

Yeah reminded me of that 1950's era show Mad Men, where the young girl has a plastic bag over her head and her mom yells over her for making a mess by emptying the bag.

The world has changed a lot.

I think that this issue with accessibility is part of a larger trend that has existed for at least a century now, involving ever-increasing concerns over perceived safety issues of all kinds.

When I think of the general attitudes toward safety in my youth and childhood, I am astounded at how nonchalant people (and governments) were back then. When was the last time you saw lawn darts for sale in a department store? Other people may recall the ads for Kawasaki (?) snowmobiles that involved them launching at full speed off of inclined ramps and flying vertically upwards in slow motion. There's no way that those ads would be allowed today, for fear of imitators getting themselves killed.

The restrictions that are the topic of this thread are a straighforward extension of this trend.

Bill

When I think of the general attitudes toward safety in my youth and childhood, I am astounded at how nonchalant people (and governments) were back then. When was the last time you saw lawn darts for sale in a department store? Other people may recall the ads for Kawasaki (?) snowmobiles that involved them launching at full speed off of inclined ramps and flying vertically upwards in slow motion. There's no way that those ads would be allowed today, for fear of imitators getting themselves killed.

You said it, bub

My condo building has posters and instructions covering several pages on how to throw out the garbage. There are containers for recyclable containers and recyclable paper products. There is a different procedure for organic waste and litter. There are blue bins and grey bins and green bins, and one container for my garbage that can be given to the poor - old clothes, shoes, etc.. I am sure my building did not dream up these schemes; this is what we are.

Around the corner, the UofT garbage containers have six different categories for waste.

And, of course, all of it then gets thrown together and taken to a landfill in Michigan, and so we will soon learn with the Torstar lawsuit.

Meanwhile the TTC vehicles look like the aftermath of Katrina as people throw their food and drink containers, their copies of Metro and whatever else they don't want to carry onto the floors. The streets of the city are filthy and I have yet to see a merchant in the central area sweeping outside their shop or putting out a container for cigarette butts.

This is the Toronto version of the nanny state. Laws and by-laws to protect us from ourselves and which no one follows or enforces anyway.

Some Ideas are good like banning Cellphones while driving. Yes its a clear case of the govt directly controlling your behaviour but, here the Govt has a point.

However sometimes I just don't care, like I don't even use the Green Bin, its so much of a hassle. Screw the Environment, were all dead anyways from World War 3 and when Jesus Resurrects and the World Ends. :mad:

Lol, Just kidding... but I hate the Green Bin.

Best not to confuse Mad Men with a "1950's era show." It's a 2006-era show that's exceedingly pleased with itself for staging wink-wink "lookee at how times have changed!" moments. I like the show, but those parts always drive me nuts.

Back