News   May 06, 2024
 499     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 684     1 

Ryerson: Master Plan

The business building is the single biggest disaster that could have happened to that corner. Sure, it has three forgettable stores, but the building? Brown precast, slitted triangular windows and some sort of faux-white glass? Come on, I could draw that something better using crayola. As a tenant or maybe even a co-developer, Ryerson had enough say to put a stop to that disaster. Originally the building was to use stone, but no, that's too expensive (and not for CF).

The arts building, same thing, according to forumers who saw the preliminary design, it was severly dumbed down, and now ressembles a tacked on glass box with the gimmicky glass hallway to nowhere. Coffee shops do not make it de facto an addition tourban fabric, leasing out the space to retailers, however might.

Your bias is showing, Ryerson could build a giant concrete spaceship with three windows, but as long as there's a cafe in the base it's ok. Not everything deals with how it meets the street, it has to also meet the eyes.

The business building is the single biggest disaster that could have happened to that corner. Sure, it has three forgettable stores, but the building? Brown precast, slitted triangular windows and some sort of faux-white glass? Come on, I could draw that something better using crayola. As a tenant or maybe even a co-developer, Ryerson had enough say to put a stop to that disaster. Originally the building was to use stone, but no, that's too expensive (and not for CF).

The cladding has nothing to do with the addition to the urban fabric of the city. The building is a success in terms of urban fabric as has already been pointed out by myself and the others who have posted here.

The arts building, same thing, according to forumers who saw the preliminary design, it was severly dumbed down, and now ressembles a tacked on glass box with the gimmicky glass hallway to nowhere. Coffee shops do not make it de facto an addition tourban fabric, leasing out the space to retailers, however might.

I already explained why it had to be changed. The original design would have left image arts students with less studio and classroom space. This is a university, the main focus is education. You take away classroom space, you ruin the image of the university as an academic institution. An entirely new building cant be built because there is no other home for Image Arts in the meantime. Any changes to the existing school would have to take place while classes are being taught.

Quit picking out little parts of my responses just to prove your point. You forget to acknowledge that the Black Star Gallery will be the largest of its kind in Canada and will be a major destination on campus and for the city of Toronto. That is much better than any retail establishment opening up within the building. The cafe is nothing but an extra touch that will bring more activity to Gould/Victoria.

Your bias is showing, Ryerson could build a giant concrete spaceship with three windows, but as long as there's a cafe in the base it's ok. Not everything deals with how it meets the street, it has to also meet the eyes.

And my bias isn't showing. I pointed out Ryerson's academic flaws already and the fact that it isn't acting like a big university. I dont like the cladding on the business building either, but thats not what your problem was with it in the first place so don't try to change the subject.

Ryerson IS thinking of context in its future planning, and Ryerson has added to the urban fabric of the city in a positive way.

You seem to have a bias against Ryerson, and that IS showing.

1)The park before the Business building added more than the building itself. That building is an eyesore and I regret losing that lovely little parkette.

2)I'm sure that's what you're made to believe, Ryerson was probably to cheap to dish out some extra dollars for some real architecture.

3)No bias, I had no intentions of ever going to Ryerson.

1)The park before the Business building added more than the building itself. That building is an eyesore and I regret losing that lovely little parkette.

2)I'm sure that's what you're made to believe, Ryerson was probably to cheap to dish out some extra dollars for some real architecture.

so what awesome university did you go to?

architecturally it is a disaster...

However it has done a lot to increase pedestrian traffic in the area.

Would you rather your child's school board spend 50 million dollars on a fancy new building, or spend 50 million dollars on the stuff that's going into the building?

• Library books and resources so they can learn.
  • Study-space so they don't have to resort to facebook to get help.
  • Computers so they can do some research instead of sitting around doing nothing on their three hour breaks.

Ryerson is a member of the community and should be a good neighbour, but it has to be responsible to its students first. If I have a choice between painting my house and making sure my kids get a good eduction, I don't think anyone can blame me if I choose my kids.

They went with Zeidler, who once had a reputation for quality buildings. The Engineering and Computing Centre was a Moriyama & Teshima project. I wonder what you mean by real architecture. If that was put into real terms, without using photographs, what would that refer to?

Ryerson and York both are suffering from having to many students then they can handle...

Ryerson is now widely liked by many in the high school crowd. When I was in grade 9, people including myself saw it as a joke. Then in Grade 12, when we heard horror stories from UFT, Ryerson did not seem so bad. Now I know many of cousins in high school want to go to Ryerson and so do many of their peers.

People say it is a easy school to get into that is not to hard or easy and is in Downtown Toronto. They see it is a university where you can get in, sort of slack off a little and get by with a 3.00 GPA.

Well, that is sort of true. You still have to work hard in some certain classes to even get a B but in many classes you just get a B by slacking off. However the marks for entering are going up however with around 78-82 in Grade 12, you can easily get into Ryerson...

Ryerson and York both are suffering from having to many students then they can handle...

Ryerson is now widely liked by many in the high school crowd. When I was in grade 9, people including myself saw it as a joke. Then in Grade 12, when we heard horror stories from UFT, Ryerson did not seem so bad. Now I know many of cousins in high school want to go to Ryerson and so do many of their peers.

People say it is a easy school to get into that is not to hard or easy and is in Downtown Toronto. They see it is a university where you can get in, sort of slack off a little and get by with a 3.00 GPA.

Well, that is sort of true. You still have to work hard in some certain classes to even get a B but in many classes you just get a B by slacking off. However the marks for entering are going up however with around 78-82 in Grade 12, you can easily get into Ryerson...

And Ryerson only has more pressure now...
First-choice applications to Ryerson University from secondary school students for fall 2007 grew 17.5 per cent over 2006, compared to the provincial average of 5.2 per cent, according to data from the Ontario Universities’ Application Centre.

“It is clear that Ryerson is becoming the destination of choice for an ever-increasing number of students,” said Sheldon Levy, president of Ryerson University. “This is a tremendous vote of confidence in our outstanding programs and faculty, and the quality of education and experience that students receive at Ryerson.”

The increase in applications also presents several challenges to Ryerson. Added Levy: “The quality of a Ryerson education is the most important value we can give our students. In view of the extraordinary demand for Ryerson places, we will be asking government to help us address our critical space shortage so that we can do what we would really love to do - offer more opportunity to the students who made Ryerson their first choice.”

Ryerson will work with government and other universities throughout Ontario, especially in the GTA, to honour a shared commitment to accessibility for all qualified students.

The most "suburban" thing about the biz school is that Zeidler had already used that facade pattern out in York...

Does anyone know when they will start demolition the building of former site of Sam's record man. I saw today some maneuvers at that area.Workers for sign installation company were taking down all billboards above the building.

Does anyone know when they will start demolition the building of former site of Sam's record man. I saw today some maneuvers at that area.Workers for sign installation company were taking down all billboards above the building.

Im under the understanding that construction is to start this year. I believe its set for this fall.

Would you rather your child's school board spend 50 million dollars on a fancy new building, or spend 50 million dollars on the stuff that's going into the building?

I believe there are ways to accomplish both, whether it’s smart partnerships with AMC for classrooms or with a developer who perhaps wants to transfer "air rights". I don’t think anyone, much less the premier interior design school in Canada (and one of the best in North America) should try to use such excuses as stated above. Good design and integration into the fabric of its existing urban environment are just as important as the books and teaching materials.

Back