News   Aug 07, 2024
 767     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 502     0 

Roy Thompson Hall: Landscaping was once great

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know that photographs from above can be deceiving, but what the hell did they do to Roy Thompson Hall?

74021873_8ad0411b75_o.jpg

It used to be gorgeous around the building. There was this park to the West and the corner of Simcoe + Wellington actually had a respectable lawn where today we have a parking lot and a car sales showcase.

I wonder if with RBC and The Ritz opening across the street, those responsible for RTH will want to return to better landscaping along Wellington and on the West end facing the Ritz.

Man, I remember that massive dirt patch/parking lot to the west of RTH. Fascinating how extreme change has been in this area. Can still see the old Devil's Martini in that picture as well...

Aside from the better aspects of parkland surrounding RTH, it looks like the basement access ramp was once parallel to Wellington. That did seem to take up a lot more space than today's perpendicular access.

The TSO's season only extends until mid-June and the sunken water garden at the north side is never used - which is a shame. The terrace is open, but that lower level always seems to be chained off.

Still, it is pleasant to sit out on that terrace with a drink at intermission when the weather is mild, looking across the sunken garden and the low hedgerow that runs along along King Street. A nicely urban early evening experience - the muffled sounds of the traffic, the honking of car horns, the tops of taxis seen over the hedge, people passing on the sidewalk, the buildings across the street, the sun lowering in the sky and casting long shadows, the murmur of conversation nearbye.

Compared to the City Room at the Four Seasons Centre, Roy Thomson Hall's more reserved interior lobby spaces have less street presence - but are just as enjoyable in a different way.

Well, the "respectable lawn" fell victim to the temptation to create a decent worthy-of-the-name urban piazza in front of Metro Hall.

Whether it truly is worthy of the name--it's up to you.

Not only were there 800 more parking lots, it also looked a hell of lot cleaner and the roads looked less fucked up- that same image today, while more dense and fewer parking lots, would show a lot of garbage in the streets and patchwork roads. Nonetheless, I find it a shame that the areas immediately surrounding the RTH have taken a considerable beating, and there doesn't seem to be any impetus or want to make that change..Whatever, I never use RTH anyways, but I like the garden and always think its such lost cause...Rope it off, chain it up..its a fucking lawsuit waiting to happen in "safe canada"!!

p5

Interesting, though, that the Les Miz image next to the Royal Alex almost makes the photo seem much newer than it is...

Just noticed today that they replaced the once monochrome (yellow) LED sign outside with a full colour one. Looks good :)

Roy Thomson Hall, with all its flaws, is one of my favourite buildings. Probably has to do with the lobbies, I think they're magic. Wouldn't it have been wonderful if the circle-into-square concept had actually gone up! And I can't sanction the parking lot facing Wellington, I am allergic to parking lots .. but still, I love that hall with all its faults.

Can't be totally negative on Monday.

It is indeed a pleasing building, and a more pleasant experience since they redid the interior a few years ago. Following the renovation I think we can now say that it's a building which is aging very well. It seems to have a level of sophistication to put you into a frame of mind for the type of music played there. I find nothing wrong with it at all. (Any parking lots in the area will hopefully disappear in due course.)

Observer Walt,

One of the things I do when I get the chance, during intermissions at the TSO, is go up to the very top of the balcony and look down at the hall from top row at the back. It's a stunning view from up there. Yes, I agree with you, it is now a good building, serving its purpose well -- and it is aging well, I like the way you said that.

The Lexus Lounge guardians are far more adroit at blocking non-members than are their equivalents at the Jackman Lounge ... unfortunately.

The TSO's season only extends until mid-June and the sunken water garden at the north side is never used - which is a shame. The terrace is open, but that lower level always seems to be chained off.

I would like to see an entrance to the water garden added to the PATH which passes right in front of it under King. It would give people a nice place to have lunch outside but away from the street and would prevent the garden from feeling so abandoned (except for the ducks). It might even give the PATH something of a 'destination'. I think it would be great to have a bunch of hidden gardens scattered throughout the PATH system - either open-air or glasses in.

I doubt that'll happen - when TSO subscribers can't even use it on evenings in the good weather when there's a concert going on.

Back