News   May 14, 2024
 847     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 464     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 516     0 

Rouge Bijou (Downtown Markham, Remington, 10 + 3x 7s, Quadrangle)

I think you should go over the plans again before going on in one post about how the lack of retail hurts it and then disagreeing with someone who said there's no pedestrian-oriented retail by replying that there'll be stores all over. There won't be an indoor mall, but what do you think "Montgomery High Street, The Piazza, The Gallery, and Simcoe Promenade" are - an outdoor lifestyle centre! Restaurants, chain stores, etc.

I'll give you the fact that the plans are all outdoor retail but that's the problem IMO. As you've complained before, all these "smart centers" aren't exactly the pinnacle of retail store fronts. I'm not a fan of "plaza" structures myself as they have a good tendency to fail and fall derelict in a very short time. The big thing is that the current retail spacing sucks. It's getting better in the future with mix use plans (i.e. condos and office buildings with retail on the 1st floor). Now we can argue the semantics on how "big retail malls kill plazas" and such but IMO for a downtown core, it is lacking character on the retail front.

Oh and if you're gonna have a quote fight, I can do that too. You complain about me at this

I think you should go over the plans again before going on in one post about how the lack of retail hurts it and then disagreeing with someone who said there's no pedestrian-oriented retail by replying that there'll be stores all over

Then in the same post you say this:

I haven't seen any plans that really address the suburban megarterial nature of both Warden and #7, yet they can't possibly tie all of Markham Centre together without doing so...if they any intention doing so.

But I'd be quoting out of context on what you mean, I can find a lot of other examples as well but I'd never expect I'd have to do that with you Scarberiankhatru (I think higher of you than that).

Maybe I wasn't clear on my meaning so here it what I want to say.

The current retail sucks in terms of where things are now and how they are spaced out. It is getting better with a lot of future building plans to include mix-use retail (be it condo or office), yet for a more "downtown" feel, I think the whole outdoor shoppe / retail front is disjointed (this is an "uptown" characteristic).

If I had to use your words to describe how i feel about it, it is this:

The "Markham Centre" plans aren't much more than guidelines for developers to turn individual vacant lands into whatever version of urban they see fit...there doesn't seem to be any overarching/overall plans that acknowledge the size of area they're attempting to change other than a regularly updated construction roundup.

They're not smart centres...have you ever seen a smart centre with no parking lots and with residences above the stores? We don't yet know what stores will be moving in, though, but the renderings and brochures suggest they're going to lure chain stores. What's the point of talking about what retail is there now? There is *nothing* right now. No current retail at all, no people. Just dirt and some construction sites.

Uh, and I meant everything I said...you're not quoting me out of context. So far, there are no firm plans saying what will happen to Warden and #7, or how they'll turn 6 lane roads with huge setbacks into urban streets.

Uh, and I meant everything I said...you're not quoting me out of context. So far, there are no firm plans saying what will happen to Warden and #7, or how they'll turn 6 lane roads with huge setbacks into urban streets.

That's a dumb statement for you, Scarberian, as I thought you are aware how 6 lane roads magically turn into urban streets - the magic of streetcars!

On the note of streetcars ... York Region Transit is currently undertaking public consultation workshops to advance the next stage of the VIVA program ... busways in dedicated centre medians, and utlimately (in phase 3.... don't know when), it is expected LRT will replace the buses in these dedicated ROWs

Details: July 31, 2008, from 7 - 9 pm Premiere Ballroom and Convention Centre, 9019 Leslie Street (Richmond Hill)

EDIT: ooo... thats tonight!

That's a dumb statement for you, Scarberian, as I thought you are aware how 6 lane roads magically turn into urban streets - the magic of streetcars!

The intersection of Warden and #7 won't be getting any streetcars...

Then there's #7 between Warden and olde Unionville - that stretch of #7 and the lands adjacent to it are really being thrown to the wolves...master-planned oblivion with no oversight.

an overall plan showing all current developments in Markham Centre, Remington's Downtown Markham project being the the central piece of developments in Markham Centre, east of Warden Avenue, west of the GO train station, north of Highway 407

MC_2008status.jpg

I didn't realize the GO station is right there. That will help quite a bit! :)

It won't. That GO Station and Line is beyond capacity. Rush hour trains are standing room only and the parking lot is full to the point that the illegal spaces are also full. I can only imagine how crowded it will be once 40,000 new residents move into the area.

with the recent Metrolinx plan ... it has been announced that 2-way all-day GO train service will be provided between Unionville and Union Station, plus the twinning of tracks will add service frequency to the GO train service which would help to increase the rush hour ridership capacity

with the recent Metrolinx plan ... it has been announced that 2-way all-day GO train service will be provided between Unionville and Union Station, plus the twinning of tracks will add service frequency to the GO train service which would help to increase the rush hour ridership capacity

I hope that is true, but I've also heard that Union Station is at capacity for rush hour and cannot support any more trains during peak periods, when the extra capacity is truly needed!

Can you post some picks from the downtown Markham site?

Also clear something up for me.

If you drive by the site now there are quite a few buildings already done!

Which are these ... and you're telling me these are not mixed use? Just pure residential?

the four redish brick buildings built thus far on the north side of Entreprise Blvd (Rouge Bijou - A, B, C, D) are pure residential, and there's also the Motorola + Honeywell offices on the south side

MasterPlan_PressRoom_final.jpg

Thanks, so everything north of them are town homes in the map you provided? I think they began marketing them recently.

I hope the giant parking lots for both the commercial sites already present are only temporary.

Why have all the parkland concentrated in the strip on the east part of the site.

Back