2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Doug's campaign kickoff WAS news, and it was reasonable for the Star to report on it, however sick it makes us to read about it. I would guess that Chow and Tory were also front page news when they entered the race. If they hadn't covered it then accusations of anti-Ford bias would be merited.

I wouldn't worry about the Star going soft. Their staff are probably working hard on Doug's history. And Doug himself is probably only days away from saying something awful that will get broadcast far and wide.

The blonde treatment is back, and It might be me but Dougie's is puffy in the camping video. Weight gain, steroids, kidney problems?

Has anyone else been reading up on pleomorphic liposarcomas?

I have "zero days of medical school" under my belt, so keep that in mind. But one thing that seems apparent is that surgery IS the treatment. Chemo prior to surgery appears only be recommended when surgery is initially risky (e.g., tumour next to a major organ, surrounds major blood vessels, etc.). But again, the hope is that chemo will shrink the tumour enough that surgery can proceed. That Ford is undergoing chemo first, with Dr. Cohen stating subsequent treatment may NOT involve surgery, doesn't seem an overly promising start.

(I will add that my partner has gone full tinfoil on this, suggesting that the Fords may have refused surgery until after the election. It seemed too unlikely to me, though that was before Rob's baldly political deathbed plea for everyone to vote for Doug. Now I'm not so sure they wouldn't play politics with his treatment. I really wouldn't put anything past the Fords.)

In any case, Rob's in for some seriously rough days ahead.

From what MD friends have told me, Pleomorphic liposarcomas has a very low % survival rate after 5 years. It's the more serious of the liposarcomas types of cancers. The suggestion that Ford is young and strong has little to do with his chances of coming through this and living into his 50's. My guess is he will lose what he calls "the fight of his life" within the next 2 years.

I have "zero days of medical school" under my belt, so keep that in mind. But one thing that seems apparent is that surgery IS the treatment. Chemo prior to surgery appears only be recommended when surgery is initially risky (e.g., tumour next to a major organ, surrounds major blood vessels, etc.). But again, the hope is that chemo will shrink the tumour enough that surgery can proceed. That Ford is undergoing chemo first, with Dr. Cohen stating subsequent treatment may NOT involve surgery, doesn't seem an overly promising start.

(I will add that my partner has gone full tinfoil on this, suggesting that the Fords may have refused surgery until after the election. It seemed too unlikely to me, though that was before Rob's baldly political deathbed plea for everyone to vote for Doug. Now I'm not so sure they wouldn't play politics with his treatment. I really wouldn't put anything past the Fords.)

It seemed too unlikely to me, though that was before Rob's baldly political deathbed plea for everyone to vote for Doug.

Rob can continue to broadcast from Mount Sinai.

"Vancouver Mayor Gerry McGeer doing a radio broadcast from his hospital bed: Note on the original negative envelope says that he died the night this photograph was taken."
http://searcharchives.vancouver.ca/mayor-gerry-mcgeer-doing-radio-broadcast-from-his-hospital-bed

View attachment 34173View attachment 34174

Last edited:
From what MD friends have told me, Pleomorphic liposarcomas has a very low % survival rate after 5 years. It's the more serious of the liposarcomas types of cancers. The suggestion that Ford is young and strong has little to do with his chances of coming through this and living into his 50's. My guess is he will lose what he calls "the fight of his life" within the next 2 years.

rob is only young by calendar years. what matters far more is how much mileage he has on the odometer - which is tonnes. he's treated his body horribly for a long time. i'd rate the chances higher for a man who was 25 years older than rob but ate well, exercised, and used substances in moderation.

Rob might be 45 years old chronologically, but if you looked at the state of his health, he would be similar to a man in his 60's.

The fact that the tumor is in his abdomen, deep within the tissue and larger than five centimetres means the outlook is grim. Those are three of the five significant risk factors that affect prognosis. He may also only technically be in his mid forties, but biologically much older. Over sixty is another risk factor.

In Ford speak, this is the fourth quarter and chemo is a Hail Mary pass. I'd be surprised if he makes it a year.

Last edited:
Something tells me that over the past mostly RoDoFo-less week and a half, Chow's at the very least arrested her free fall--with an assist from John Tory gaffe-ing up again...

Yes. This is exactly what is happening right now. Tory just lost (likely) any progressive votes that were in the ABF crowd. Smart Track is a stupid plan with no funding and again (like Ford) it will set us back another 4 years. Add on to that his Pride\QAIA vote pandering twist and his golfing comment re: women plus his support for creationism in schools - Tory is just another right wing anti-tax dimbulb, coasting along on his money and connections. I suspect Olivia will pick up votes with ease now.

Almost everything I've read has said the exact same thing. In fact, most of the literature seems to describe using chemo as "experimental". Not good.

It's a good thing that we have national health care so that Rob can get his cancer treatment. If only he didn't want to dismantle the system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back