5.6K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 770     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't take into account the fact the Rob will 99.9% experience relapse between when he gets back and election day.

I'm a Social Worker with very strong experience in addictions.

Often, the people who end up at rehab or 12 step programs for the first time end up having it click, are succesful because they have been trying to stop for some time on their own. They have known for quite some time that their use is problematic and are ready to put the drugs down forever and deal with their issues. Rob hasn't ever seriously tried to stop on his own (OK, maybe the November to January things was a kick at the can). Also, considering the addiction issues that run in his immediate family and associates, heavy drug/alcohol use would likely be somewhat normalized. His denial was obviously still heavy after the Steak Queen incident when he went off the "No alcohol. Guaranteed" train and basically said FU to everyone.

We can pick any which reason that he went to rehab (stop using, get away from pressure, save his job, running from mafia/police, feeling out of control, pressure from Doug/Diane etc), but none of them involve actually wanting to stop drugs forever. He wants to stop the immediate negative consequences from continuing. Once people get clean, they find that, surprise surprise, negative consequences will likely settle down. (unless of course they are say, arrested for past trangressions). Life will resume and get busy and stressful and then what? He is going back to what sounds like a dysfunctional marriage with an actively using wife, a campaign which he will have missed at least a month of, the media pressure (still so many unanswered questions left), having to work closely on a mayoral campaign run by his dysfunctional brother Doug, Police presence, etc. It will be literally impossible to hit the ground running in this mess and successfully apply new life and coping skills learned in basically a laboratory setting.

Rob (and the family) do not seem all that aware yet that the problem is not the drugs, it's him and the mess that his life is in. Recognizing that drugs are causing problems is crucial and will help get you clean, but it will never keep you clean. He is trying to escape from something (or many things), and that aspect of recovery is tightly wrapped in denial at this stage. This is evidenced by thinking he can go to rehab for a few months maximum and come back to the blender. He'll be off the drugs for a few months, which will likely have him feeling pretty good. But the underlying problems that have led to the escape through substances will still be there. There are so many issues with his immediate family, and they are also wrapped in denial about what recovery will take from Rob and themselves. If they are so tightly in the picture when he comes back, which they no doubt will be, he's effed. No doubt the rehab will work with him on this, but honestly I would doubt he is at the point where he is willing to make the drastic changes to his environment that is needed. There is no way he cuts them out for a while, especially since Doug is his campaign manager.

I was speaking with my wife about it this morning. I am pretty convinced that Rob will end up dead at the end of this. The cards are heavily stacked against him.

And the bolded part is no doubt the spin that will be deployed by Doug when the inevitable public relapse occurs. If the media would only stop hounding his brother, he'd still be sober.

Kathy, Doug, the whole lot of them fail to grasp that the privacy they so desperately claim to want is only a RoFo resignation letter away. No one will give two f***s about the guy when he's not the Mayor of Toronto.

Which leads to my other observation about RoFo and rehab -- if Rob was truly and genuinely serious about wanting to get sober, and stay sober, he would withdraw from the race, period. He has to know the stress of being mayor and the glare of the media spotlight contribute to his problem. And if he doesn't realize that now, because let's face it, selfawareness is not a Ford Family strong point, perhaps he'll learn it in rehab.

What are the odds Rob Ford comes back in a month having crash dieted and had gastric bypass surgery or something?

Google 'gastric bypass alcohol'. You have to extremely careful with alcohol and other drugs after this kind of surgery due to your 'plumbling' being remodelled. I doubt he would be eligible for the surgery.

I know this is somewhat off topic.

But just how many different pensions can these altruistic individuals who are the embodiment of goodness and truthfulness get? (Switching from municipal to provincial to federal or back plus say they worked as a teacher or in the police force or similar pensionable organization.)

Robo Flop's hotmail lawyer has 'mercifully' lessened our 'angst' by letting us know that he's now in the treatment centre. Exhalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllle and roll eyes.

"You ain't gonna eat no bread, no corn, no pie, cake, desserts of any kind. No whole milk, no beans, no butter, no sugar, no potatoes, candy, ice cream, salad dressing or peanut butter... You came here with nothing but fat. You're gonna leave here with nothing but muscle."
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/469467/D-I-The-Movie-Clip-Pain-In-Your-Head.html

Tel me if the guy at 1:20 doesn't look familiar.

"Looking at the sky. What are you, a bird-watcher?"

Last edited:
"You ain't gonna eat no bread, no corn, no pie, cake, desserts of any kind. No whole milk, no beans, no butter, no sugar, no potatoes, candy, ice cream, salad dressing or peanut butter... You came here with nothing but fat. You're gonna leave here with nothing but muscle."
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/469467/D-I-The-Movie-Clip-Pain-In-Your-Head.html

Tel me if the guy at 1:20 doesn't look familiar.

"Looking at the sky. What are you, a bird-watcher?"

LOL....ahhhhhhhh yes ;) Well done you.

I hope there is no sex tape. Ever. Because, eww. Just eww.

If people can watch "Two Girls, One Cup" then watching Ford and Lisi in some hard core, SM, man-on-man action, can't be all that shocking, can it? Bring on that video, I want to see it. And don't pretend like you all wouldn't watch it. lol I'm sure some might even find it stimulating.

I know this is somewhat off topic.

But just how many different pensions can these altruistic individuals who are the embodiment of goodness and truthfulness get? (Switching from municipal to provincial to federal or back plus say they worked as a teacher or in the police force or similar pensionable organization.)

In 2010 departing Toronto councillors were eligible for a month's pay for every year served up to a maximum of 12 months as a separation severance. This applies whether one decides not to run again or whether they lose in the election, separate from any pension. RoFo was incensed at the time that councillors serving only 10 years would get nearly as much as long time fossils-er, councillors. There was also $3,500 worth of outplacement counselling that RoFo vowed to cancel. (Hopefully for him he didn't cancel it, he's gonna need it). I took a quick look at the city's website but didn't see any information on a pension arrangement for councillors.

Provincial MPPs no longer have a "lavish" pension plan, courtesy of Mike Harris, who cancelled it in 1996 and replaced it with an RRSP plan.

The biggest homophobes are supposed to be those who are closeted...even to themselves.

Yep, that's how it usually works. I've witnessed this myself on 2 occasions, where the worst homophobes ended up being caught with men. (one guy, at a place I worked, on Bay Street, was caught with another guy in an office and fired)

Rob is in rehab in Chicago. He will require a formal and informal support system (and by formal I don't mean 24/7 security). Often when people attend treatment out of city/province, they settle in the new city afterwards. Going back to your old environment without that direct support is a recipe for relapse.

Given that he is returning, where is he going to get that support? Weekly video chats with his counselor out of Chicago? I can't imagine him showing up at a twelve step meeting in Toronto.

Also, let's maybe do away with the homophobic psychologizing and "stomach turning" references to gay sex? Come on.
I suspect the stomach turning has less or nothing to do with the gay part, and more to do with Rob Ford AND rat-faced boy naked and in full rut.

I'm an obese uppity gay dude, used to smacking down homophobes, and sorry, but the thought of a Rob Ford-Sandro Lisi sex tape makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back