News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 714     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug: "Shit, he didn't look as bad as I thought."

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/1...-i-thought-doug-ford-on-latest-rob-ford-video

How can this be real. How is this the real world.

Sheeeeeeeit.jpg

Sheeeeeeeit.
/The Wire

Last edited:
A lot of people speculate on who exactly is Ford Nation.

There is a bar in town I frequent and there is one guy that encapsulates all of the Ford Nation soundbites.

He's in his late 60's former unionized factory electrician, he reads The Sun everyday and watches cp24 on the one bar monitor, he says it's the only news channel worth watching. He bemoans unions in spite of it providing a very nice pension to him, a typical "I got mine f youse" attitude. When I argue with him he says "Saves Taxpayers billions, not our business what he does on his own time, I've seen you drunk " etc, when I point out the fallacies of his arguments he just goes back to reading his Sun and watching cp24.

Nothing any of us say will change these people, they are like the American Taliban (Tea Party), facts don't matter.

I notice Ford doesn't really have an organized campaign, I suspect Rub and Tug know the hammer is falling and have decided not to throw good money after bad, hopefully the hammer falls soon but my guess is it'll be late April or May before we see any charges.

Wouldn't surprise me if the old man kept a bottle in his desk at DECO.

But, having worked for the City of Toronto 1972-2009, I can say that if caught drinking on duty, or reporting for duty under the influence - you were history.

Yes, and true for most workplaces at even earlier times in our history, but after-work was another story in many places (can't vouch for city hall on this one, just offices in private companies). Did your co-workers never stay behind, crack open a bottle and have an impromtu party for a birthday or other manufactured occasion?

I worked for one place in 1981 that had the wildest Christmas party I have ever seen. We did see a lot of celebrities comes through there, many of whom were invited guests which might explain the attitude, but they were not shy about letting the booze and drugs flow. Similar to radio stations of the day, drugs were as accepted as alcohol.

“I think you have every right to know. You’re my boss, right?” he said. “You pay my wages and when something’s wrong the taxpayers should be the first to know. My life’s an open book and that’s how I keep it.”

This ought to appear on a permanent banner above every post on this forum.

They just don't care.

I've reached the point where I'm pretty sure a lot of the really hardcore Ford supporters continue to revere him largely because it makes us so mad. He frustrates exactly the people they dislike.

I left lurkerdom just to say: YES. You have hit the nail right on the head.

What he stands for (at least in the heads of Ford Nationals) is saving money & standing up for the average Joe against the pinko, spenderrific, downtown elites. They see themselves as victims (usually for having slightly less privilege than they had in the good ole days) who are supporting lazy, elitist 'downtowners' with their hard-earned tax dollars. Supporting Ford is sticking it back to the people who stick it to them, and anyone who tries to tell them that he doesn't stand for what they think he stands for - that his lies and catchphrases are empty - are just trying to keep them down.

That's what I'm hearing now too--police action next week or the week after. Only don't know who or for what.

In terms of the ito they're meeting about tomorrow, apparently it's entertaining but not really important.

The document filed after that one is really good but will require a whole new court challenge.

Are you referring to the mysterious search warrant?

Did your co-workers never stay behind, crack open a bottle and have an impromtu party for a birthday or other manufactured occasion?

Yes, they did. But, I joined when I was 18, and back then you had to be 21 to drink. After that, I tried to drink, but it never did take.

Sometimes, I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything on. :D

These guys just don't care. Doug said it himself, it's not about truth. Reality, truth, honesty, objectivity: these concepts have no meaning whatsoever beyond "whatever will shut people up, out of confusion or frustration, so I can put this behind me and continue to do what I want, when I want." What difference does any given lie told in the moment make, in the face of such pure and all-consuming self-interest?

What bothered me about that one is journalists (and Jimmy Kimmel) let him repeat it over and over, never responding with the obvious "a restaurant is not a private place."

This ought to appear on a permanent banner above every post on this forum.

This should be quoted by every City Hall reporter when he or Doug claims activitiies were on "private time". I'd like to see the reporters take it up a couple of notches against them when the lies start. They're getting better but could put the pressure up a little higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back