News   Jun 28, 2024
 721     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe W.

"There's nothing wrong with running for mayor and having a brew"
https://twitter.com/joe_warmington/status/445749888131686400

Unless it leads to "one of my drunken stupors", which leads to smoking crack, which leads to blackmail...

Indeed not ... unless you are by all appearances someone with a drinking problem and have previously pledged to stop drinking, in which 'stop drinking' means, as I understand it ... not drinking. At all. But I could be wrong.

Even if the editorial board at The Sun does not support Ford any more, I will bet that they are happy to have Warmington on who will keep giving Ford Nation a reason to buy their paper.

Yep. I think ‘craven’ would be the word to describe the Sun. Warmington isn’t driven by that kind of motive, though … I think he just has a huge blind spot regarding Ford’s conduct and what it really means.

Good point animated. However, Rob will say he was returning calls on his own time (because it was 10 pm or whatever). But the fact is, they were work calls, and he was in his office. Rob seems to think it's a noon to 4 pm job and all other time is "personal".

It’s work time when he feels it’s work time, and it’s personal time when he thinks what he’s doing is none of your business. Anything else?

I also thought it was weird when, in response to the Steak Queen fiasco, Rob repeatedly said he was "in a private place having a private time with private people" or something along those lines. Since when did a restaurant become a private place? Apparently if Rob Ford isn't on the street or at city hall, he's in private, even if he's standing in the middle of a restaurant surrounded by strangers….

I also thought it was weird when, in response to the Steak Queen fiasco, Rob repeatedly said he was "in a private place having a private time with private people" or something along those lines. Since when did a restaurant become a private place? Apparently if Rob Ford isn't on the street or at city hall, he's in private, even if he's standing in the middle of a restaurant surrounded by strangers….

There was only one person there, his friend "the taxpayer".

So, um, as this Toronto-based version of True Detective edges towards its season finale, has anyone noticed the similarity?

"Mah family has been here a loooong time..."

Screen-Shot-2014-03-09-at-10.37.10-PM.png

It's a little shocking to look at how much Ford has aged since just this summer. It might just be the weight loss, but in the St Patrick's Day footage he looks stupendously craggy. It's a cruel irony that he looks more like a crackhead at a slightly lower weight when he thought losing weight would make everyone forget the crack.

These guys just don't care. Doug said it himself, it's not about truth. Reality, truth, honesty, objectivity: these concepts have no meaning whatsoever beyond "whatever will shut people up, out of confusion or frustration, so I can put this behind me and continue to do what I want, when I want." What difference does any given lie told in the moment make, in the face of such pure and all-consuming self-interest?

It's a little shocking to look at how much Ford has aged since just this summer. It might just be the weight loss, but in the St Patrick's Day footage he looks stupendously craggy. It's a cruel irony that he looks more like a crackhead at a slightly lower weight when he thought losing weight would make everyone forget the crack.

I cannot tell that he actually lost weight.

It looks to me like he definitely lost some from his peak weight mid-crack scandal, but he's quickly plateaued.

I feel like eventually Rob WILL end up in a hospital (or worse) and all we'll hear is how the media killed him by being relentless, and nothing will be said of his own poor life choices.

Already happened, only a matter of time until it recurs:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ing-doctors-told-me-not-to-do/article4468845/

Asthma, sure. Could also be "crack lung."

Also contains one of Ford's best quotes:

“I think you have every right to know. You’re my boss, right?†he said. “You pay my wages and when something’s wrong the taxpayers should be the first to know. My life’s an open book and that’s how I keep it.â€

That should be thrown in his face at every opportunity, which is daily.

Our mayor was DRINKING ON THE JOB. That's a very solid line of his own making that he crossed with gusto.
...And it probably wasn't just alcohol.

I know it sounds shocking by today's standards, but when I was growing up, male executives drank all the time. Drunken work parties were common even for blue collar jobs. I was really too young to engage with the older staff but I recall thinking they were nothing but a bunch of booze hounds. If this was maturity, I wanted to avoid it.

Rob Ford didn't grow up in that culture but it is amazing to me how things have changed. Morality changes with every generation. Drinking at work should be shocking. This generation has it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back