News   Jul 16, 2024
 747     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford cropped out of pic on Kelly's facebook page :p

1658592_1475498475998237_220183235_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1475498475998237

Jimmy Kimmel's going to be on that list soon too, when he either bails, or skewers them on their own little video show.

I don't know how this sort of thing works, but is it possible that Jimmy, if he does appear, may demand the Fords show his visit as "complete and uncut"? ie: That they not edit his interview to suit their message?

That wasn't where my mind first went.

I think this is purely to keep his name out there. The strategy is that this will go viral & then they can bask in free publicity. Also, if journalists are asking him about this, they aren't asking him tougher, relevant-to-the-election questions.

To that point, my heart swelled a bit yesterday when my twitter feeds filled up with up-to-the-moment reports of Olivia's campaign kick off. I was brought back to reality when I watched the evening news (CBC & CTV). The news reports heavily focused on what Olivia had to say about running against Rob - or at least that was my cynical take on it.

I think the Spacey thing is about him snubbing Rob and Doug personally at the Jimmy Kimmel show. I'm picturing Rob or Doug holding out a magnet, and Spacey looking down on it with disgust, giving the Ford's a looooong, withering gaze, and walking away without saying a word. After which Doug is frozen in silent rage, and Rob runs to his dressing room to to pound on the mirror while saying " Stupid,stupid, stupid!"

To quote Thug, "It's not about truth". It's about perception. Note in the crack video, Slob is quoted as calling Justin Trudeau a fag. As far as I can tell, Justin is 100% hetero. But he does have a gay-sounding voice. That's good enough for Ford Nation, it's not about Truth.

I've heard people say that about Justin Trudeau before and for me it's a head scratcher. Why do they think he sounds gay? Is it because he articulates words and doesn't throw in "eh" and "like" or "ummm" and "uhhh" every other word? Has our society sunk so low that we think the boorishness displayed by the Fords is "average hetero guy" and someone who is just a hair more refined is "gay"?

I don't even think of Justin Trudeau as being particularly cultured. His father spoke very eloquently as did most people of that generation but Justin just sounds like someone who grew up in his generation sans the Jackass sensibility.

All they were doing was some childish trash talking to "get back" at Kevin Spacey for the vomit comment. Thinking that it was anything more than that is giving the Fords too much credit.

You hit the nail right on the head. It was the Ford version of "yo mama", because someone actually treated them the way they deserve to be treated. Shunned.

Jimmy Kimmel's going to be on that list soon too, when he either bails, or skewers them on their own little video show.

I cannot believe that Jimmy Kimmel would be on their show. Is there any confirmation from Kimmel himself? It just sounds like another Doug Ford fantasy.

I think the Spacey thing is about him snubbing Rob and Doug personally at the Jimmy Kimmel show. I'm picturing Rob or Doug holding out a magnet, and Spacey looking down on it with disgust, giving the Ford's a looooong, withering gaze, and walking away without saying a word. After which Doug is frozen in silent rage, and Rob runs to his dressing room to to pound on the mirror while saying " Stupid,stupid, stupid!"

Judging from the video, Doug is a lot more upset about than Rob... probably because Rob has no clue who Kevin Spacey is anyway.

From the comments I've seen around today, I think posting that video was a really bad move. Not even Fordistas are defending their man on this. I wonder if we'll find it deleted from their page shortly.

There are a number of different subsidies that people living in Co-ops can get from the different levels of government. Municipal and Provincial are pretty simple, and the municipality actually manages who lives in their units, as part of TCHC. So, we (I live in one) say that we have X number of spots that we make available to TCHC tennants, the TCHC sends them to us, we place them in whatever appropriate unit is available at the time, and TCHC pays all or a portion of their housing charge. Province is much the same, although I don't know how who gets it is managed, in that the province just pays all/some of the housing charge for the people who have those spots.

Now the CMHC subsidy is a bit different. CMHC gives us a bucket of money in an amount based on our mortgage payment. It's not 1:1, but a couple years ago when our mortgage payment went down, our CMHC grant went down too. We use that as subsidies for low income people in much the same way as for municipal and provincial subsidized residents - we get them to pay based on their ability, either all or some of the housing charge. the CMHC subsidy pays the rest. In some cases, like when our CMHC subsidy dropped, we then made up the difference to those residents by paying it out of our general revenues.

All other residents/members pay the full housing charge, which we call market rent, but really isn't based on the market, just based on how much cash we need for mortgage/operational costs/capital costs etc. Effectively, for us, 100% of all our costs are funded by our housing charges and other misc income like parking and investments, the CMHC money is used to help pay for the housing charges of some residents who need the help, and the full housing charge is paid by the rest of our tenants. Our market rate actually ends up being significantly lower than what an equivalent rental would be, but the only real difference is that we aren't paying for any profit. I pay market rent, and I can honestly say that I am using up zero subsidy.

(I've removed my speculation here, because I did more research and it was wrong)
Here's what then happened:

O&J then, 3 months before the star story broke, voluntarily started paying an extra $325 a month to the coop to make up the difference between the 'market rent' and how much equivalent apartments around there cost. Basically, they were donating extra money to the coop because they could, and probably to counteract any suggestion that they were taking advantage of the situation. Which they never were.

Thank you for this. It's the best summary I've seen of how co-ops work.

In any event, it's the smear that doesn't want to die, and it really should.

I've heard people say that about Justin Trudeau before and for me it's a head scratcher. Why do they think he sounds gay? Is it because he articulates words and doesn't throw in "eh" and "like" or "ummm" and "uhhh" every other word? Has our society sunk so low that we think the boorishness displayed by the Fords is "average hetero guy" and someone who is just a hair more refined is "gay"?

His esses are particularly sibilant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back