584     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 628     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The decision on declaring an SoE is politicized by the fact that Ford would have ceded his power to Kelly. There's no getting around that and it's a situation that doesn't confront most mayors when they have to make a similar decision. And, yes, if he'd declared one, many critics would have found a way to spin that negatively ("he's clueless on what to do" "he doesn't want to take responsibility" etc).

However, that doesn't preclude us from discussing how Ford handled the crisis. He chose to not declare SoE, and everyone has the right to critique his performance as mayor during that time. It's a waste of time and breath to keep on with this "should he have declared / shouldn't he have" and "things would have been better if he had / no they would have been the same" etc. We don't know what "would have" happened. Really this SoE argument is tired and not going anywhere; let's focus on what he did/didn't do.

As city officials, staff and cleanup crews worked to repair the havoc caused by an icy storm, Mayor Rob Ford was unreachable, according to a source.

The mayor could not be found all Sunday morning by city staff working to organize warming centres and other emergency preparations, the source said.

Ford’s communications director Amin Massoudi said in an email the source was “mistaken.”

Ford’s official Twitter account first posted just before 9:30 a.m., saying: “Toronto Hydro is reporting 250,000 customers are without power due to last evening’s ice storm.” Hydro at Ford’s house was out too.

A few minutes later, the account tweeted to say people should call Toronto Hydro or 911 to report downed wires — which prompted a series of angry responses from followers who said that wasn’t the proper procedure. Throughout the day, police reminded residents to make non-emergency phone calls to the main line, not 911.

Just after 10:30 a.m., Ford’s account tweeted he would be holding a news conference at Metro Hall with city staff at 1:30 p.m. The source said Ford was briefed on the storm situation just minutes before the conference.

“The city’s emergency operation centre was activated yesterday to manage the storm impacts,” Ford said surrounded by Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong, who chairs Public Works, and other city staff. “I have been briefed on the latest situation by our staff in the emergency operations centre.”

Massoudi said the mayor had been in touch with staff “since early this morning.”

Others say they were surprised to learn the mayor was calling a news conference, given they hadn’t been in touch with him all morning.

Even the deputy mayor, who had been the point person for city officials dealing with the storm, said he hadn’t spoken to Ford until the news conference.

“I am not aware of any conversations anyone had with the mayor before the press conference,” Kelly said.

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/89...sing-in-action-on-morning-after-storm-source/

Only nobody actually said that ever. But congrats on the poor reading comprehension.

Instead of snarky comments you probably should be able to produce a quote where someone here (for example me) claims that "more manpower wouldn't have helped". As opposed to "I don't think an SOE would have produced more manpower". I'm waiting.

Again: An SOE may not have coordinated more Hydro. But, it sure as hell would not have DISCOURAGED Hydro workers from working. No loss.

However, it would have authorized the city to do things like coordinate care for elderly with no care & street people. One dead so far, per media reports, and possibly less CO poisonings. Possible big win.

Everyone's argument AGAINST a declaration is that 'it wouldn't have helped, as nothing would have changed.' So, assuming nothing would have changed, it would have cost little or no $$$ to declare, right? Then WHY NOT DECLARE? What's the downside, FFS?

Feh. Enough. You tire me.

Again: An SOE may not have coordinated more Hydro. But, it sure as hell would not have DISCOURAGED Hydro workers from working. No loss.

However, it would have authorized the city to do things like coordinate care for elderly with no care & street people. One dead so far, per media reports, and possibly less CO poisonings. Possible big win.

Everyone's argument AGAINST a declaration is that 'it wouldn't have helped, as nothing would have changed.' So, assuming nothing would have changed, it would have cost little or no $$$ to declare, right? Then WHY NOT DECLARE? What's the downside, FFS?

Feh. Enough. You tire me.

I'm not sure exactly what your problem with me is. You make some good points (that I even agree with) but you've interjected yourself into an argument between myself and TheKingEast. He keeps repeatedly claiming that I say "More resources wouldn't have helped" as if I'm some kind of moron. I have repeatedly said "of course more resources would have helped" but I don't see how an SOE would have provided those "more resources" given the fact that all resources from both the province and city were already fully committed. I've repeatedly asked him to prove how an SOE provides those "more resources" given that all other sources seem to say it would not. Instead of doing so he repeats like some kind of robot the point that I think "more resources wouldn't have helped". That's the ONLY point I've been trying to make. All other points of view regarding this issue (such as what you've just said) are completely valid and open for reasonable debate. I'm not sure why your tone is so harsh. I guess you could try reading my earlier posts.

Only nobody actually said that ever. But congrats on the poor reading comprehension.

Instead of snarky comments you probably should be able to produce a quote where someone here (for example me) claims that "more manpower wouldn't have helped". As opposed to "I don't think an SOE would have produced more manpower". I'm waiting.

Thanks

Oh, don't be a Negative Nellie! Baby steps! He's alert, he's losing weight -- could be 60-70 pounds before the next election -- and once he becomes mayor again I'm sure he'll start working on the crack smoking, drunk driving, domestic assaulting (alleged!) and hanging out with gangbangers.

Why work at something when it works already.

You missed the clicking heels together part.

And following that with "Big Smile! Big Smile! Big Smile!"

Josh Matlow is requesting a special city council meeting to go over the Disaster Relief Assistance program.
http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1579.aspx
Josh Matlow ‏@JoshMatlow 3h

Requesting a special city council meeting to do this: http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1579.aspx

The Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP) is intended to assist those whose essential property has been extensively damaged as a result of a sudden, unexpected natural disaster such as a severe windstorm, tornado or flood. ODRAP contains:

Private component: Individuals, homeowners, farmers, small business enterprises and non-profit organizations. The province tops up private funds raised by the Disaster Relief Committee to the amount that is needed to pay eligible claims at 90 per cent, up to a maximum of a 2:1 ratio.
Public component: Financial assistance may be provided by the province to affected municipalities for disaster response and recovery.

The city has 14 days to declare their area a 'disaster' so that they can get public assistance.

edit to add:
There is a citynews article on it:
Matlow calls for special city council meeting in wake of ice storm
As thousands remain without power one week after the ice storm that hit southern Ontario, one city councilor is calling for a special meeting to discuss response improvements.

Josh Matlow took to Twitter on Saturday to say he was requesting a special city council meeting to talk about “improvements needed to respond to events like this week” as well as guidelines for the Ontario Disaster Relief Assistance Program (ODRAP).
Maybe the meeting would include discussing things like burying the lines.
Oh to dream.

Last edited:
And jazz hands.
Jazz hands, Big Smile, clicking heels together and then, magically:

"I am a smart boy. I am a smart boy. I am a smart boy."
And gosh darn it, people like me!

I can't and don't want to top that. :)

Josh Matlow is requesting a special city council meeting to go over the Disaster Relief Assistance program.
http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/Page1579.aspx

So because no SOE was declared by Ford, the Provincial program will not be activated?

Edit: if that's so, who pays for all that overtime for hydro crews, all the parts/equipment required for repairs and the eventual cost of tree/branch removal and disposal?

Last edited:
I just realized that Toronto never had anything like and Occupy Sandy response. Occupy Sandy did go door-to-door, checking on people, bringing food & water, helping people get to safer locations, etc. And they still have various Sandy projects going.

I wonder why nothing like that happened here. Is it because Americans know the official response will be useless, so they just get on with it, while Canadians are a bit naive about their government still? Or were things just not bad enough here to spark that kind of response? Curious.

I just realized that Toronto never had anything like and Occupy Sandy response. Occupy Sandy did go door-to-door, checking on people, bringing food & water, helping people get to safer locations, etc. And they still have various Sandy projects going.

I wonder why nothing like that happened here. Is it because Americans know the official response will be useless, so they just get on with it, while Canadians are a bit naive about their government still? Or were things just not bad enough here to spark that kind of response? Curious.

There were a few social service groups/charities checking door-to-door. Can't recall the names but I don't think they were government funded.

So because no SOE was declared by Ford, the Provincial program will not be activated?

Edit: if that's so, who pays for all that overtime for hydro crews, all the parts/equipment required for repairs and the eventual cost of tree/branch removal and disposal?

I could be wrong of course but the way I read it is that a declaration of disaster for ODRAP is separate and not dependent on an SOE. (Again - that's just my take on it)

I suspect we'll hear a lot more about it over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back