198     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 837     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 543     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can speak for myself. I never heard about the drunk driving and frankly, smoking crack (once) is not that big of an issue if he can get the job done. Up until the ice storm while I may not like Ford, I thought he was doing a decent enough job (yes, even with the crack). The bumbling of this ice storm, though showed me first hand that he is not competent enough to deal with emergencies.

I had already explained to the individual you quoted that an SOE would provide more resources. The individual you quoted thought that more resources was not required....and looking for resources from other provinces 3 bloody days later was the BEST that we could do. We had a shitload of people without power for close to a week now and people think that's OK. WTF? Ford has been wrong about what an SOE is and his fanboys have gobbled up and peddled that crap for days now. I'm laughing at people who think we did the best we could. Talk about low expectations.

This isn't all Ford's fault either....but he has acted like a clown.

Is this a joke ?

I've seen many of your other posts (outside this thread) and you seem like a very sensible / logical person !

Should I assume what you really mean to say is you agree with Ford's platform (many do, that is cut spending / cut funding to various groups [user fees should fund the majority of targeted services ..] / so on ...) ? If so that's completely understandable !

But I cannot fathom you are implying Ford is an inelegant person ? Something that should be a criteria for being the mayor of a city. Have you not seen the many videos of him in city council and the debates last election ? I should be very clear, I'm not referring to any of his extracurricular activities, rather debates about valid city issues ! He's clearly not a competent and more importantly not a logical person, he will approach a debate with one talking point, if you change the direction of the conversation / add a new tangent (i.e. relevant facts) all he's capable of doing is repeating whatever he said earlier over and over, even when it clearly makes no sense at all and is not relevant to the current discussion ...

I can say without a doubt I've never seen a councilor exhibit this much incompetence ... and again I'm referring to him on the job only. One example, I find his brother (though extremely arrogant) much more competent ! I actually believe he needs to stoop down to Rob Ford's level of intelligence to make it appear they agree on many issues, or to further a cause Rob (incompetently) started earlier ...

But again, feel free to agree with the idea of 'Rob Ford' that I completely understand ..

Scapegoat. There's no SOE, so what's the problem? It's in the Mayor's hands, no?
that's my thought too. If some folks feel no SOE was necessary, how can they fault the Deputy Mayor for leaving town for one day?

Reminds me of one of those famous political trials where one politician was convicted of receiving a bribe that the other politician was acquitted of giving.

Once? ONCE?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah... oh wait, you're serious... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Exactly. You dont pay the utility bills on a crack house (and maybe even own it, as someone here suggested) and only smoke crack once.
Ford uses any and everything. He is well known for using crack, coke, oxy pot and alcohol. Who knows what else?
Anyone who was paying attention to municipal politics knew Ford himself was the gravy train wreck. So many votes consisted of only him being against everyone else on council....just because he is a contrary s.o.b.
He is not able to work with people, has no vision, and is not smart enough to deal with our complex city.
This crisis has shown that AGAIN, but I am sad that it took people freezing, and some even dying, for people to wake up.

Where on earth is Doug? Not a peep from him in ages. He must be away, otherwise he'd be telling all of us what a great job Rob is doing.

You're completely correct and I guess that's what's bothering the political geek in me. I want the masses to vote against Rob Ford because he's an incompetent liar generally, spends his work days meeting drug dealers exchanging shady packages and envelopes and smokes crack with violent, dangerous gang members. Not for a belief or feeling that he should have declared an SOE even though it likely wouldn't have changed anything anyway.

I agree, but at this point if the ice storm ends up being Ford's Hurricane Katrina moment, so be it.

What if the SOE is a big hoax and it helped some people in Toronto for nothing?

The SOE debate makes me think of this climate cartoon:
4254681996_27b1ed7ff0.jpg

...I never heard about the drunk driving and frankly, smoking crack (once) is not that big of an issue if he can get the job done...

Flashback to "Rinse" on Toronto Mike's blog - all of which was corroborated when the crack video story broke and 15 Windsor was identified as the house in the infamous photo of Ford -

Rinse
March 26, 2013 / 21:09

Here's the thing: Rob Ford DOES use crack cocaine. A friend of mine,
her mother is a serious drug addict. Rob Ford regularly goes over to
her house to smoke crack.
The problem is this: The daughter wants to expose Rob Ford's drug
abuse, but her oldschool Italian grandmother won't allow her to "bring
shame" upon the family, long story short. So basically the daughter has
become complicit with the entire thing instead of doing the right
thing. Shame on you Jasmin.

Are you sure you want to go with that "he only tried crack once" schtick?

Marco Oved ‏@MarcoOved 4h

Rob Ford on Newstalk1010: "I’ve run a fantastic city. I don’t want to toot my own horn here but I’m the best mayor this city has ever had."
Retweeted by Daniel Dale

It is just so mind-boggling how delusional Rob Ford is.

Last edited:
Where on earth is Doug? Not a peep from him in ages. He must be away, otherwise he'd be telling all of us what a great job Rob is doing.

He's been in Florida, hasn't he?

Here is another one for the state of emergency vote:

Toronto should call the ice storm what it is: an emergency
By failing to declare a state of emergency, Toronto is putting the lives of many of its most vulnerable at risk.

By: Cathy Crowe and Alison Kemper Published on Fri Dec 27 2013

The emergency in Toronto is not about the speed at which hydro workers have accomplished their tasks (they are truly heroic), it is the unknown distress of hundreds of thousands of Torontonians whose homes could no longer provide warmth, whose elevators weren’t working, whose kitchens could no longer provide food, whose telephones could no longer connect them to the outside world and whose medical conditions could no longer be managed.

In December in Canada, a home that has lost power and heat is habitable for only a short time. By Christmas Eve, with temperatures plummeting to -12 C, many darkened homes were approaching temperatures of 0 C.
What happened to the thousands of Torontonians who weren’t able to book a hotel, go to their in-laws’, eat in restaurants or leave town? How are they doing? We have no idea. We have been told that emergency calls have been five times their normal level, and we hear sirens screaming down our roads constantly.
What will we find in a week — in our rooming houses, in our high rises, in the little wartime bungalows that are scattered across our city? Will we have escaped without increased deaths? Or will we regret our lack of action this week?
From Sunday onward, our political leaders debated the worth of declaring an emergency. Perhaps it was the shame we remembered after former Mayor Mel Lastman declared his own “snow emergency” and called in the Armed Forces to remove metres of snow. Perhaps it was Rob Ford’s desire to have a central and positive role in the drama rather than being sidelined after an emergency declaration. Likely, his misunderstanding of the difference between martial law and a state of emergency has prevented such a move. Perhaps it was the city management’s long-standing resistance to provincial interference that made staff reluctant to ask for help.

Sadly, Torontonians have been left out in the cold.

Cathy Crowe is a long-time street nurse and Distinguished Visiting Practitioner at Ryerson. Alison Kemper, PhD, is Assistant Professor, Entrepreneurship and Strategy, Ted Rogers School of Management.

True. The successful drug dealers I've known were actually very intelligent and able to use those smarts to transition to successful careers when they went legit.

Case in point (of sorts): Doug Ford.

Anyway, if this is Rob Ford's tipping-point moment, it all hinges upon that woman in the iced-out McCowan public housing who referred to him as a "crackhead"--it's all sinking in, now, even among those who might have been at the Thomson Park Ford Fest a few months ago...

This is a good one from the Daily Beast!

Inside the Wild World of Crack-Smoking Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s Facebook Defenders
Fans of the embattled Toronto mayor are rallying behind their man on Facebook. Meet “Ford Nation,” where 15-year-olds call the shots and the rest of us are just “Manhattanite hipsters.”

(Hmm, don't they know all the hipsters live in Brooklyn?)

The Facebook page “I Hate the War on Mayor Rob Ford” has the most active participation and following of any of its likeminded competitors. With over 3,000 likes—a far cry from the 21,000 likes an anti-Ford page has garnered, administrator Neil Flagg provides near-hourly updates on the status of the mayor and the political implosions surrounding him. Most recently a post described Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly as a “douchebag” for saying that the mayor had embarrassed Toronto. The rest of the page has a heavy emphasis on Ford’s crusade to restrict tax hikes for Toronto’s citizens as well as assaults on media outlets including The Toronto Star and Gawker.

“Bring Back Rob Ford” is operated by 15-year-old Sebastian Bracker, a high school student in Toronto who became interested in the mayor after hearing his mother adamantly support him in their home.

“As I got more mature, I started to see that he was actually a good mayor,” Bracker said, noting Ford’s honesty as a factor which distinguished him from other politicians. Ford’s efforts to stop the proverbial “gravy train,” or tax hikes in the proposed 2014 Toronto budget, won Bracker’s support even more.
Wha'?! What honesty?

“At first, I thought it was the media trying to get him out of office,” Bracker said of the initial allegations, later confirmed, that the mayor had smoked crack. “I lost a bit of credibility in him at that time, but at the same time, he has a life outside of being mayor. And as long as he’s doing his job as mayor while he’s working, I’m ok with that.”
Bracker said it was common knowledge that Ford has “a bit of a drinking problem,” but that it hasn’t been a clearly inhibiting factor in the governmental work he does.

As I got more mature

What...

more mature

I don't even...

I've yet to see evidence of any maturity, let alone an increasing amount of it...

Especially when followed up with this tidbit...

“At first, I thought it was the media trying to get him out of office,†Bracker said of the initial allegations, later confirmed, that the mayor had smoked crack. “I lost a bit of credibility in him at that time, but at the same time, he has a life outside of being mayor. And as long as he’s doing his job as mayor while he’s working, I’m ok with that.â€
Bracker said it was common knowledge that Ford has “a bit of a drinking problem,†but that it hasn’t been a clearly inhibiting factor in the governmental work he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back