334     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 575     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Wynne hadn't basically ignored Ford and hadn't been in contact with Kelly by providing all the resources needed, then a SOE would have perhaps been needed.

If that help had not been available, then things would have been more dire. Almost half the city without heat in freezing temperatures? Especially our most vulnerable.

Regardless, Ford really showed that he is just not smart enough to be mayor (aside from his criminality, his addictions, his chronic lying and terrible bullying personality.) He believed that a SOE wasn't needed, but he failed to explain why not. He gave out wrong information, in fact, and made things worse. That made people question his motives.

Speaking of his slingshot, we used to drive up and down Dixon after school and he'd use it to fire eggs at pedestrians. The guy had pinpoint accuracy with that thing! Sometimes he'd load it with ball bearings and randomly take out people's windshields. Once, he hit some guy with an egg in front of a strip club in Rexdale and buddy pulled a gun and opened fire on his car as he drove off. Anyhow, a friend of mine ran into him a couple of years ago and Sandro said he was going out egging. Thirty-something years old at the time and still up to the same crap haha.
Hmm developmentally delayed. That explains why he is friends with Ford.

View attachment 21208

Here's an old school Lisi pic I found in my old yearbook. He's around 16-17 here, around when he first started dealing. He got booted from Richview so came to Scarlett Heights and took this B.S. parenting course for an easy credit. Can't remember exact details but I believe he was expelled from Richview for using a slingshot to nail a teacher in the back of the head with an eraser haha. He was a small time petty dealer then, and he's pretty much the same now. He never really advanced through the dealer ranks like other guys I've known.

well, thank heavens for that course since Ford was leaving his kids with him!

he's probably not smart & motivated enough to advance. Might sound funny to use that same criteria for drug dealers as for any other line of work, but it's probably true.

Norm Kelly's trip was less than 24 hours though, and he was easily reachable by phone etc. Just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

I guess Kelly figured that the City was in more than capable hands with Ford in charge.

For the record - we're dealing with someone who admittedly was on side with Rob Ford UNTIL the ice storm.... The SOE (not crack, not enough to eat home, not DRUNK DRIVING was what pushed King East over the edge: "I was on his side till this storm hit. Looking at how he bumbled this whole thing, it really brought all the other red flags I overlooked about him into question."

I can speak for myself. I never heard about the drunk driving and frankly, smoking crack (once) is not that big of an issue if he can get the job done. Up until the ice storm while I may not like Ford, I thought he was doing a decent enough job (yes, even with the crack). The bumbling of this ice storm, though showed me first hand that he is not competent enough to deal with emergencies.

I had already explained to the individual you quoted that an SOE would provide more resources. The individual you quoted thought that more resources was not required....and looking for resources from other provinces 3 bloody days later was the BEST that we could do. We had a shitload of people without power for close to a week now and people think that's OK. WTF? Ford has been wrong about what an SOE is and his fanboys have gobbled up and peddled that crap for days now. I'm laughing at people who think we did the best we could. Talk about low expectations.

This isn't all Ford's fault either....but he has acted like a clown.

Last edited:
Regarding declaring an SOE.

Would ROFO have called one if his power under one had not been transferred to the Deputy Mayor?

I suspect he would have. Would it get the lights back on any faster? I doubt it.

Also, any estimate as to how much overtime was called in on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and, possibly, New Years Eve?

I guess we will find out when the Sunshine List is released in three months.

I think people should cut Norm some slack. He's 72 years old and just spent what will probably be the last Christmas dinner with his last surviving sibling. He was in touch throughout his 24 hour trip. I don't fault him in the least.

A couple of days ago I asked if anyone knew if a SoE call would effect the insurance claims on way or the other, well after some digging I found the twitter for this guy he's the Manager, Consumer & Industry Relations - ON, for the Insurance Bureau of Canada...
long story short, SoE unlikely to be a trigger for coverage or not. Depends on your policy but is very rare to be in there.
If you do have damage, take LOTS of pictures (From different angles) and save all receipts and call your insurer sooner rather than later.

I had already explained to the individual you quoted that an SOE would provide more resources. The individual you quoted thought that more resources was not required....and looking for resources from other provinces 3 bloody days later was the BEST that we could do.

PLEASE. STOP. JUST STOP saying this about me. I've refuted it over and over and over and over yet you STILL keep saying that I thought "more resources were not required". What I've said to you is that an SOE DOES NOT PROVIDE MORE RESOURCES. Why do you keep repeating this lie about me? What I've said to you is that both the province and city both had their resources fully committed to this crisis. This is the ONLY claim that I'm trying to make. How else can I make my opinion on this issue any clearer?

Maybe going forward you could debate with a little more honesty? Seriously, this is the most frustrating debate I've ever engaged in on this forum.

Saw this on twitter today:

Marco Oved ‏@MarcoOved

"The power could not have come on any faster as a result of a city-wide state of emergency" says Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony Haines #TOpoli

Last edited:
I think people should cut Norm some slack. He's 72 years old and just spent what will probably be the last Christmas dinner with his last surviving sibling. He was in touch throughout his 24 hour trip. I don't fault him in the least.

I totally agree. I wonder where RoFo was Sunday morning, and where DoFo is right now.

I never heard about the drunk driving and frankly, smoking crack (once) is not that big of an issue if he can get the job done.

Once? ONCE?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah... oh wait, you're serious... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I had already explained to the individual you quoted that an SOE would provide more resources. T

Actually you've stated as fact repeatedly that an SOE would provide more resources but you have not explained HOW or from where.

From the towhey blog I posted earlier:

http://www.towhey.com/?p=242

Myth: It would get the power grid repaired faster.
Reality: Unlikely. What’s really required in Toronto are more forestry and electrical line crews. All those in the city are engaged. Toronto Hydro has mutual aid agreements with utilities across North America that don’t require an emergency declaration to access additional help.

But, crews in neighboring areas were already fully engaged at home dealing with their own emergencies. However, as they are finished in their areas, they are coming to Toronto. The province has some forestry crews that it moved into Toronto even before the storm and they are already engaged. Bringing in crews from further afield is already happening, but it takes about 72 hours from time of request. They have started arriving over the last 36 hours.

Last edited:
Below, Ford gets an earful, I saw a couple of these confrontations last night. People are getting really angry, how can apartment buildings not be prioritized by day 6?
I can't find any pleasure in seeing him get ripped, but at the same time I don't feel bad for him either.
Some (many?) sleazy contractors are now flooding into the city for a quick buck to do inspections before hydro is re-connected to homes that's normally about a $200 charge but they are asking for upwards of a $3K deposit. There's sure to be plenty more sleaze buckets out there taking advantage of vulnerable people in other ways too.
This whole thing is out of control. I've written my Councillor to ask that there be an investigation into this mess by an independent, second party and determine whether Ford made the correct decision not to declare a SOE, and I copied every other City Councillor. I'm hearing Wynne moving her language more towards "the Province is doing everything possible... we have this, we have that in place blah blah..." as if the Province has taken over and not even acknowledging the City or Ford anymore. We need truthful, correct answers here.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2427125121/

DT and Everyone: I looked at this video and I do agree with mentions that this event may be the one that finally is Mayor Rob Ford's "house of cards"
that finally brings him down as Toronto's Mayor...

I noted that mention of electrical contractors that were in cases charging outrageous prices for inspections and other services - the same thing was
happening on Long Island after Superstorm Sandy especially in hard-hit shore areas in which homes suffered salt-water interior damage...

Having a home inspection before power restoration was a requirement but some unscrupulous contractors took advantage of vulnerable home owners...

In the aftermath of this ice storm the same thing is happening and I feel authorities should harshly deal with those out for scams...

WKL: I fully agree with you on the mention of power crews and that they are the true heroes in the aftermath of this ice storm and I remember how
well out of town crews were treated on LI in the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy and it was LIPA's poor management of power restoration that finally
brought their executive team down...

LI MIKE

Last edited:

Scapegoat. There's no SOE, so what's the problem? It's in the Mayor's hands, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back