608     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 652     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
His apologies repeatedly amount to "I'm sorry that YOU were offended by MY actions", which of course are not an apologies at all...

"I thought the pedophile running around my backyard was taking pictures of my kids until I saw that it was Daniel Dale and now I am sorry" R.Ford

Other than the Press Club, I'd say this board is the last place I'd expect to find many people missing that point. Not sure who you think missed it, or why.
The point was that as long as Rofo does not retract his lie about what Dale did and where, Dofo -- and anyone else -- is pretty free to repeat it without repercussions.

Eg., if your city councillor told your neighbourhood ratepayers meeting, falsely, that a developer offered him/her a bribe and you repeated this to other people, the developer would have to go after the councillor, not you. You would (initially, at least) have the defence that you were told about a bribe by a reliable source whom you believed. The developer might tell you to stop spreading the story but his focus would have to be to expose the lie. He couldn't do that through you, only by challenging the person with whom the lie originated.

I've just read that Dale has not accepted the apology but is continuing with the lawsuit. This is what he must do to protect his reputationfrom Rofo's tissues of vindictive lies. Doug is tag teaming with Rob right now. He'll stay clear of the pedophile smear but keep hinting at the taking of pictures, looking over the fence and being on Rob's property that Dale was alleged to have done until such time as Rob recants or his "neighbour of 15 years" changes his story.
...it is probably safe to assume that the day Rob Ford shuts up will be the day before we read his obituary.
Hah! Sad but true.

PS. When I wrote "So what?" it wasn't meant to be sassing at you. It was directed at Doug's inflated sense of his own importance. Just so we're clear.

His apologies repeatedly amount to "I'm sorry that YOU were offended by MY actions", which of course are not an apologies at all...
I wish! His apology amounts to "I'm sorry that you were offended by the actions of the Toronto Star and other media." I will give him and Doug a bit of credit: they have doggedly stuck to the talking points of their media strategy through thick and thin (and sick and sin!).

The point was that as long as Rofo does not retract his lie about what Dale did and where, Dofo -- and anyone else -- is pretty free to repeat it without repercussions.

Ah-ha! Yes, I see what you mean, but does that apply here, given that Doug isn't saying "My brother says..." but instead stating it as fact, even though various claims made by Rob in relation to this incident have been demonstrated to be false. I suspect you are right in a legal sense, although common sense would argue that any repetition of these lies is a morally bankrupt act.

I am not a lawyer, which should be obvious from my question here, but given that Dennis Morris is somehow a lawyer despite... everything, I thought I'd make it very clear that I am not, and hence my uncertainty on this issue.

PS. When I wrote "So what?" it wasn't meant to be sassing at you. It was directed at Doug's inflated sense of his own importance. Just so we're clear.

Thanks! We're clear. Carry on! :)

Dancing at City Hall. Oh, how adorable. :rolleyes:

Why are the other councillors willing to keep indulging this asshole, given everything that he's done?

He's right though. Most media outlets are reporting that Ford apologized. If Daniel Dale takes the stance that the apology did not meet the criteria set forth by his lawsuit, he will look like a weasel to the public. It was a smart play by Ford.

I think Ford has already consolidated the "pro victim" vote. I doubt this strategy will bring anyone new over to Ford Nation and the non-apology will only make things worse for Ford come trial time, if it goes that far.

http://gawker.com/reporter-rejects-rob-fords-pedophile-apology-pursu-1485200960

BbuCb5_CMAAms_T.png

Dancing at City Hall. Oh, how adorable. :rolleyes:

Why are the other councillors willing to keep indulging this asshole, given everything that he's done?
Most of them looked stunned and not quite sure what was going on. I loved how the clerks just kept working :)

My god. This whole day has once again, been surreal. First the multiple sorrys from RoFo, then the going out of chambers in imaginary handcuffs, then the fake apology and finally, Ford dancing like a fool in council just as Dale is telling the world he is continuing with his lawsuit.

A sampling of the comments on Dale's twitter feed:

Tre Mission ‏@TreMission 1h

@ddale8 bro nothing he said was false though..you WERE in his backyard..you WERE taking pictures..you just don't like what he implied

P@RICK ‏@PNK81 52m

@ddale8 @robyndoolittle I want Ford removed as quickly as any.He's an embarrassment. I am curious as to why you were on his property though

So what these foolish Fordites are doing is playing right into Dale's hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back