918     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 410     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 493     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case, most reasonable people are simply not reasonable. It wouldn't matter what Rob Ford's connection to this whole mess was. His right to stay silent is absolutely paramount and no one should be pressuring him to abandon it. This is based on hundreds of years of tradition in British Common Law and lots of jurisprudence in the Canadian justice system regarding our Charter.

Perfectly fine then.
When this comes to head on Wednesday's council meeting let him officially state his reasons for the public record so he cannot weasel his way out of it.
Hopefully there will be an unanimous vote ( minus 2 ) to request for provincial assistance that will ultimately yield in a new municipal act dealing with this type of conduct. I have my doubts that it will remove Ford before the next election but he will have his legacy known as the Ford Act.

Because his charter rights as a citizen trumps his duty as mayor. He has the right to not incriminate himself or cooperate with the police

Anyone who put himself in such a position and have to choose between their rights as a citizen and compromising their duty as mayor has one option to resolve this conflict - resign.

AoD

Anyone who put himself in such a position and have to choose between their rights as a citizen and compromising their duty as mayor has one option to resolve this conflict - resign.

AoD

Your free to have that opinion. But still doesnt mean Ford has to step down or give up his charter rights.

Neither is exclusive.

In that case, most reasonable people are simply not reasonable. It wouldn't matter what Rob Ford's connection to this whole mess was. His right to stay silent is absolutely paramount and no one should be pressuring him to abandon it. This is based on hundreds of years of tradition in British Common Law and lots of jurisprudence in the Canadian justice system regarding our Charter.

I completely agree with what you've said here. However if one is embroiled in such a situation where they need to exercise that right, they probably can't remain in their elected leadership role and should resign.

I completely agree with what you've said here. However if one is embroiled in such a situation where they need to exercise that right, they probably can't remain in their elected leadership role and should resign.

If a provincial or federal cabinet minister were caught on tape passing manila envelopes in gas station washrooms there is no question that they would need step down, at least until their innocence was confirmed. Once again Ford gets to live by a different set of rules.

First time poster, long time reader. This thread has me enthralled.

Question: if it comes down to a vote to remove him from office, is Rob Ford allowed to vote on it, or does conflict of interest apply? Doesn't it have pecuniary consequences for him whether or not he stays in office, and therefore a COI?

Your free to have that opinion. But still doesnt mean Ford has to step down or give up his charter rights.

Neither is exclusive.

In doing so Ford (yet again) violates his own personal code of being a transparent "straight talker". Naturally he's free to do so, and the fools that follow him are free to ignore his hypocrisy.

First time poster, long time reader. This thread has me enthralled.

Question: if it comes down to a vote to remove him from office, is Rob Ford allowed to vote on it, or does conflict of interest apply? Doesn't it have pecuniary consequences for him whether or not he stays in office, and therefore a COI?

He can't be voted out of office by council, so any motion is purely symbolic. His contribution to the debate could be to drop a deuce on the speaker's desk and it would be constitutionally sound.

You are conflating legal with the ethical.

AoD
I dont care about ethical.

Our charter of rights of rights exists to hold everybody to the same legal standards and rights

I dont even care about rob ford. I will defend the charter of rights from being desecrated by any party.

I dont care about ethical.

Our charter of rights of rights exists to hold everybody to the same legal standards and rights

Funny, considering what said individual thought about the Charter and the individuals it sought to protect. Due process for the very person who have demonstrated time and again his flagarant disregard for such is the height of abusing the system while systematically seeking to undermine it.

And sorry, I certainly would hope one put more stock on ethics instead of casually dismissing it with an "I don't care" - good governance depends on more than conformity with the law (which has already been tested to its limits in this particular case).

AoD

Last edited:
hi off topic

In doing so Ford (yet again) violates his own personal code of being a transparent "straight talker". Naturally he's free to do so, and the fools that follow him are free to ignore his hypocrisy.

tried to send pm.

I think you are a long lost friend. please pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back