224     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 380     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 776     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Towhey is all over this, in that he was interviewed by police. Much will centre around him and what he had to say. (Some has been reported in The Star already, will just confirm)

Agreed - I'm just assuming he will be in the redacted portion.

I wonder if RoFo has been under constant surveillance the last 5 months or so? That is the only reason I can thinkoif as to why he hasn't yet been arrested (assuming he is looking bad in the Lisi stuff about to be released)
Man, did he look ashen in that last presser, I can't see today's events boding well for his Worship.

Regardless the guy's getting re-elected. More people in this city feel protective over him then are against him. I dont see anything much from this.

Regardless the guy's getting re-elected. More people in this city feel protective over him then are against him. I dont see anything much from this.

If you look at the polling and trends over the past few years, if math doesn't work out in Ford's favor.

Because of his contempt for them, Ford has almost no support in Old Toronto. That's more than a third of the vote that he won't be getting back.

For Ford to win he'd need incredible support in Scarborough, Etobickoe and North York. That incredible support doesn't exist. His disapproval raring has consistently been at about 50% in those three boroughs. And the fact that they'll be more than one subway champion conservative in the race doesn't help him at all. They'll surely grab some votes from the 50% of people there that still approve of his job.

Ford will be very lucky to get 40% in the election.

If you look at the polling and trends over the past few years, if math doesn't work out in Ford's favor.

Because of his contempt for them, Ford has almost no support in Old Toronto. That's more than a third of the vote that he won't be getting back.

For Ford to win he'd need incredible support in Scarborough, Etobickoe and North York. That incredible support doesn't exist. His disapproval raring has consistently been at about 50% in those three boroughs. And the fact that they'll be more than one subway champion conservative in the race doesn't help him at all. They'll surely grab some votes from the 50% of people there that still approve of his job.

Ford will be very lucky to BE in the election.

Let's not discount how motivated people who didn't vote last time out will be this time around.

The repeated uttering of the line "I can't say anything about a case that's before the courts" is beyond ridiculous. Mayors comment on cases all the time. Except when they are involved. He's essentially saying he's involved, no? I wish a journalist would ask "Why are you not able to put the voters at ease?"

'I can't say anything about a case that's before the courts ... because my lawyers/advisers/Doug warned me I might inadvertently incriminate/perjure myself if I did'

To play the devil's advocate, Ford doesn't need the undying support pre-election of the majority of voters. What it comes down to on election day is a matter of choice. Usually there are two choices at the end. People who don't like him as Mayor or as a person still may vote for him because they dislike the alternative even more. I voted for Smitherman even though I wouldn't have been happy with him as Mayor and preferred Joe Pantalone. I still voted for him because I couldn't stand the (correctly) predicted chaos of a Ford administration.

This is the factor that's still got me nervous. I know Ford has way less support than the last election, I know that there are many regretful Ford voters, some of them with the courage to say so in discussions with friends and family and online. But will these people vote for Olivia Chow? Will it come down to Ford vs Chow and will all the Conservatives plug their noses and accept another 4 year circus rather than have an "NDP Mayor"?

Granted, there were enough progressives in this city to have elected David Miller so the numbers exist, but if it comes down to Ford vs Chow, I won't feel safe until the Scarborough wards have been counted showing at the very least a tie between Ford and Chow there. This is why we need more Conservatives running. We need Stintz and/or Tory to have a strong mid summer performance in the polls so that most of Ford's voters feel confident to abandon him for one of them. It needs to be a 3 way race at the end (it won't be a two way because we know Ford will stay to the bitter end despite how poorly he's performing).

Will he be re-elected if he's in jail? Or if he has a pending court case on criminal charges?

I expect his mother feels protective of him. Substance abuse counsellors are probably also beginning to feel protective. I can't imagine why anyone else would.

Ford's starting to (no pun intended) crack.

Ivor Tossell ‏@ivortossell 2m
No, this is REALLY serious. @reporterdonpeat: Mayor Rob Ford's mom just arrived at City Hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back